SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, tater said:

“As early as...”

Yeah, okay, I’ll believe it when...

Pigs fly... (oh yeah, there was that Pink Floyd concert...)

Okay, when Winnipeg wins the Stanley Cup *checks playoff standings*

Fine then, when an expansion team wins the Cup *checks standing again* Ummmm,  er....

They might actually make that happen!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

13 minutes ago, tater said:

I’ll believe it when we see it, but multiple people saying that makes it far more likely. Usually they are supportive, but clearly more realistic than Elon time.

The needle moving left rather than right is what shocks me.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Not completely unexpected, there is nothing seriously in the way of the development of the BFR. Unlike Falcon Heavy, wich had to wait untill the first landing. Note how Falcon Heavy was supposed to launch 2-3 years after the announcment, and although Falcon Heavy was delayed for 5 years, it still launched 2-3 years after the first landing of the Falcon 9, wich was in the way of Falcon Heavy at the time.

I don't think Elon Time is that big of a problem when it comes to the development. Maybe the first orbital launch gets delayed by 1-2 years, but i don't expect things to be too drastic. Im still a bit skeptical about the Mars, Moon, and Earth missions however.

5 minutes ago, _Augustus_ said:

I thought it was going to launch in December so im not disappointed. Just confused from where i got my information from.

Edited by NSEP

1 hour ago, NSEP said:

there is nothing seriously in the way of the development of the BFR.

Booster, maybe not so hard. But BFS - it’s a huge friggin’ second stage - spaceship, jack of all trades, master of all. Sure, most of these things like carbon tanks, lifting body reentry, vertical landing, refueling, etc. were done before, but combining it all into one vehicle is a daunting task. I’m honestly amazed that they’re planning to fly it next year. 

26 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Booster, maybe not so hard. But BFS - it’s a huge friggin’ second stage - spaceship, jack of all trades, master of all. Sure, most of these things like carbon tanks, lifting body reentry, vertical landing, refueling, etc. were done before, but combining it all into one vehicle is a daunting task. I’m honestly amazed that they’re planning to fly it next year. 

Its going to be hard, but considering SpaceX apparently is cramming the mouth of the project full of funding, i don't see it being delayed too much.

10 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

There was nothing seriously in the way of the Tesla Model 3, either. But....

The jump from a relatively 'small' to massive company with high demand is in the way of Tesla.

Edited by NSEP

livestream is up for Bangabundhu (and so is the press kit and patch)1490952.jpg

Meh, could be better.

Um, SpaceX? Did you make a typo? It's launching at 4:12 PM, not AM. Your own video's description backs this up!

Anyway, I guess they're serious about launching this tomorrow, then. I can only watch it after 4:15, so I'm kind of hoping it gets delayed a *little*...

59 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

I’m honestly amazed that they’re planning to fly it next year. 

What we’ll see next year will be far from a finished product, probably little more than a shell with fuel tanks and minimum engines. 

But flight hardware is flight hardware. -_-

26 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

livestream is up for Bangabundhu (and so is the press kit and patch)1490952.jpg

Meh, could be better.

Um, SpaceX? Did you make a typo? It's launching at 4:12 PM, not AM. Your own video's description backs this up!

Anyway, I guess they're serious about launching this tomorrow, then. I can only watch it after 4:15, so I'm kind of hoping it gets delayed a *little*...

Surprise morning launch! 

26 minutes ago, ThatGuyWithALongUsername said:

Same boat. I get relieved right around that time, a 30-minute delay would be welcome. But it’s the other guy’s day to drive so I can at least phone it. 

Good to see the black interstage and black legs on the patch!

By my numbers, Falcon 9 Block 5 could barely pull off a 3500-kg launch to GTO and still RTLS, but it would take an 0-1-3-0 true suicide burn at LZ-1, so it's no surprise they're opting for ASDS.

Too bad Mr Steven is still in LAX. Do they have an east coast fairing-mitt ship?

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I’ll be surprised if they do more than Grasshopper style tests next year, in a freighter configuration (if not just a bare shell). Maybe a suborbital test if all goes well. 

12 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

There was nothing seriously in the way of the Tesla Model 3, either. But....

Because that's not apples and oranges.

I feel like the problem with 'Elon time' comes from Falcon Heavy being delayed a lot. But that happened because FH is much more complicated and presumably reinforced than regular F9. Not only that but F9 wasn't even finished development-wise when they strapped these three cores together. If it's true that they made every F9 stage unique in a way then it's really surprising that they managed to strap three of them together and make them fly.

Now BFR doesn't have that problem. A grasshopper is just the beginning but they don't have to Frankenstein it from three previously flown rockets to make it work. And yes, there are other things they have to figure out first but that's what grasshopper is for.

Edited by Wjolcz

6 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

So what time is that in BST (British Summer Time)?

If you click on the youtube stream it should say, live in x hours and have your local time underneath that.

Should be a little after 9.00pm your time.