Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

Also, BO plans to land NG in the same way as NS. Zwero velocity, hover, land. As such they can "land" offset from the ship, then displace to set down—should that maneuver fail, the vehicle will be merely falling a few meters.

8 hours ago, tater said:

1.  The magic thermo-cloth gives off woven iconel 600 vibes (I've seen iconel 600 that had a bronzish hue like that, but also others also called that that have no yellow in their color).   

2.  The presumed ITAR auditor must have been going nuts trying to go through all this stuff in both the Musk and Bezos interviews.

3.  I want to live near the cape.

I look forward to BO flying for real. There's actually a lot of overlap between the Bezos and Musk vision, and the two operating at once can only make everything better.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

I look forward to BO flying for real. There's actually a lot of overlap between the Bezos and Musk vision, and the two operating at once can only make everything better.

An interesting symbiosis between their visions would be a BO-initiated large Earth-Mars cycler/orbital/freighter and a very large SpaceX-initiated Martian spaceport/shipyard/city as a stepping stone to the outer solar system

7 minutes ago, tater said:

This pushes them into the tail of the transfer window, doesn't it?  Idk.  I'm thinking something will come that changes all these plans.  I'm all for them succeeding but I think they are cutting it too close to reliably make the window and they will wave themselves off as they (BO) just don't do fast very well and know it.  But who knows?

Edited by darthgently

2 minutes ago, darthgently said:

This pushes them into the tail of the transfer window, doesn't it?  Idk.  I'm thinking something will come that changes all these plans.  I'm all for them succeeding but I think they are cutting it too close to reliably make the window and they will wave themselves off as they (BO) just don't do fast very well and know it.  But who knows?

Escapade is tiny, NG stage 2 has decent dv.

2 minutes ago, tater said:

Escapade is tiny, NG stage 2 has decent dv.

Yeah, I finally realized that ESCAPADE is planning to launch outside the fat part of the Hohmann transfer window so it doesn't matter to a medium degree.   When Bezos said that they had extra dv so they could launch later I didn't imagine that meant that much later, but yeah, it is tiny, so the dv increase would be much less also and they get a much more generous window