KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

@ABZB - I've installed your mod.. it almost seems like the problem is *worse*? I've got thermal turbojet powered spaceplanes that used to get into orbit.. now as soon as I kick them over to anything other than Atmospheric mode, they overheat in a matter of seconds and explode.. not sure what's going on here? I have two large heat radiators (folded, but still there).. they're not getting anywhere close to hot. Tried the inline round radiator too.. never uses any of the liquid nitrogen, just... engine overheats and explodes.

@ABZB - I've installed your mod.. it almost seems like the problem is *worse*? I've got thermal turbojet powered spaceplanes that used to get into orbit.. now as soon as I kick them over to anything other than Atmospheric mode, they overheat in a matter of seconds and explode.. not sure what's going on here? I have two large heat radiators (folded, but still there).. they're not getting anywhere close to hot. Tried the inline round radiator too.. never uses any of the liquid nitrogen, just... engine overheats and explodes.

What kind of propellants do you use? what reactor and diameter? Note in the past, small thermal turbojet were too heavy, causing them to overheat too fast. To fix it, create ships with a new turbojet part

Edited by FreeThinker

hmmmm - that is odd... let me look into this.

OK - it might be that the way I set it up, a radiator panel might absorb solar radiation too strongly, and pass the heat along to the rest of the ship very fast. I uploaded a modified file to my dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og1bfe9nvplu5tg/GameData.zip?dl=0

please let me know if that helps - if it does, I will upload to kerbalstuff as an update (i'm at work now, don't have much time to test).

Edited by ABZB

1) If you're having issues with FE, I'd love to hear about them directly instead of stumbling over them while browsing.

Sorry about that, I run with so many mods I tend to assume that any glitches I'm seeing are my fault unless I can prove that they're bugs!...

I'll have a closer look and take it to the FE thread if it's still an issue.

It's optional, but highly recommended as I made several custom Filters for KSPI to make building vessels with KSPI parts easier.

Thanks, that's good to know in any case!

What kind of propellants do you use? what reactor and diameter? Note in the past, small thermal turbojet were too heavy, causing them to overheat too fast. To fix it, create ships with a new turbojet part

I'm using antimatter reactors, 1.25m thermal turbojets. I've tried liquidfuel, liquid hydrogen, liquid ammonia, hydrazine, and water, with approximately the same heating issue across the board. You're suggesting I rip the TTJs off and add the part again from the SPH/VAB? I can do that.

- - - Updated - - -

So .. one other thing; I thought it might be fun to have some upgraded RCS to link in with this mod - I created new RCS thrusters based on the stock RCS blocks (I just copied the part into a new GameData subfolder and modified the config file). I have them using a thruster power of 10-25 (haven't finalized all the numbers yet), and they consume charged particles as well as monopropellant.. 1.0 rate for MP, 100.0 rate for chargedparticles. The weird thing is that while this does work, it only pushes the power in the forward direction. I don't even get an animation for the other directions. It does *something* but it is certainly not capable of providing full thruster power in all directions, and I have no idea why that'd be. Here's the .cfg, if anyone has any ideas. @Freethinker if you like this idea in any way feel free to take it for inclusion in the Interstellar mod, with whatever changes you wish to make (BSD license-alike :) ). config:

PART

{

name = CPRCSBlock

module = Part

author = sstone

mesh = model.mu

scale = 0.1

node_attach = 0.45212, -0.0105571, -0.0059382, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

TechRequired = improvedNuclearPropulsion

entryCost = 3400

cost = 620

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = RV-905 CP-RCS Thruster Block

manufacturer = STEADLER Engineering Corps

description = The recent discovery of a third law of physics made it possible for STEADLER Corps engineers to produce these small monopropellant thrusters, to help with attitude control and linear motion. Even though many Kerbal physicists still dispute the validity of this new law, studies show that the thrusters seem to work as advertised. These use charged particles as well as monopropellant and are far more powerful.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.15

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.001

minimum_drag = 0.001

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 15

maxTemp = 3000 // = 3600

PhysicsSignificance = 1

bulkheadProfiles = srf

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRCS

thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

thrusterPower = 25

PROPELLANT

{

name = MonoPropellant

ratio = 1.0

resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW

}

PROPELLANT

{

name = ChargedParticles

ratio = 100.0

}

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 3000

key = 1 1280

}

}

}

I'm using antimatter reactors, 1.25m thermal turbojets. I've tried liquidfuel, liquid hydrogen, liquid ammonia, hydrazine, and water, with approximately the same heating issue across the board. You're suggesting I rip the TTJs off and add the part again from the SPH/VAB? I can do that.

- - - Updated - - -

So .. one other thing; I thought it might be fun to have some upgraded RCS to link in with this mod - I created new RCS thrusters based on the stock RCS blocks (I just copied the part into a new GameData subfolder and modified the config file). I have them using a thruster power of 10-25 (haven't finalized all the numbers yet), and they consume charged particles as well as monopropellant.. 1.0 rate for MP, 100.0 rate for chargedparticles. The weird thing is that while this does work, it only pushes the power in the forward direction. I don't even get an animation for the other directions. It does *something* but it is certainly not capable of providing full thruster power in all directions, and I have no idea why that'd be. Here's the .cfg, if anyone has any ideas. @Freethinker if you like this idea in any way feel free to take it for inclusion in the Interstellar mod, with whatever changes you wish to make (BSD license-alike :) ). config:

PART

{

name = CPRCSBlock

module = Part

author = sstone

mesh = model.mu

scale = 0.1

node_attach = 0.45212, -0.0105571, -0.0059382, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

TechRequired = improvedNuclearPropulsion

entryCost = 3400

cost = 620

category = Control

subcategory = 0

title = RV-905 CP-RCS Thruster Block

manufacturer = STEADLER Engineering Corps

description = The recent discovery of a third law of physics made it possible for STEADLER Corps engineers to produce these small monopropellant thrusters, to help with attitude control and linear motion. Even though many Kerbal physicists still dispute the validity of this new law, studies show that the thrusters seem to work as advertised. These use charged particles as well as monopropellant and are far more powerful.

attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

mass = 0.15

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.001

minimum_drag = 0.001

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 15

maxTemp = 3000 // = 3600

PhysicsSignificance = 1

bulkheadProfiles = srf

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRCS

thrusterTransformName = RCSthruster

thrusterPower = 25

PROPELLANT

{

name = MonoPropellant

ratio = 1.0

}

PROPELLANT

{

name = ChargedParticles

ratio = 100.0

}

atmosphereCurve

{

key = 0 3000

key = 1 1280

}

}

}

you might be better off using the ModuleRCSFX dll (off of kerbalstuff or ckan). I made for myself a MM .cfg that changes some of the RealEngines RCS configs to use some of the electric propellants (like LqdHydrogen + ElectricCharge)

Will that solve the "only produces requested thrust in one direction" issue? Still not sure what I screwed up to CAUSE that in the first place...

Possibly. It works for me...

giving it a try. I'm hoping this will solve the problem of "KSP Interstellar lets me make giant starships but I can't turn them worth a damn because there's no RCS thrusters powerful enough to provide the proper control authority". Also useful for VTOL on smaller craft. Turns out I already have that RCSFX module installed, so I've updated my part.cfg and am testing it now. Any interest in incorporating it with the main mod, if I can get it to work and we can agree on tuning values?

On the other topic.. still having heat issues. Set up a test bed which is basically cockpit -> small antimatter tank -> 1.25m interstellar-48 tank with Liquid H2 -> 2 1.25m interstellar-4 tanks with liquid N2 -> inline radiator -> 1.25m charged particle generator -> 1.25m antimatter reactor -> 1.25m thermal turbojet.

Also tacked 4 foldable heat radiators on the fuselage. I can run it all day in atmospheric mode. Soon as I switch the TTJ to liquid H2 I get about 20 seconds at less than 1/3 throttle before the engine overheats and explodes. At no point is any of the liquid N2 getting used.. what behavior should I be seeing? Is there a heat-radiated thing on the radiators I should be looking for? I made sure this is an all new craft made after installing the KSPI-stockheat mod, but... seems to have no effect on anything and I swear this worked before?

The bigger ones seem to build up heat slightly less fast - ie, if I scale everything to 2.5m.. but still a lot faster than it did before the last KSPIE update - going to go check the logs for the status of the heat module, maybe it's not loading...? although I do see the liquidnitrogen component on the inline radiator so I'm not sure. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by ss8913

Do radial radiators extend or don't they? When I go into the action groups while building the ship, I see options to deploy/retract/toggle the radiators, but no such option when I right-click them in-flight (and I did check in-game, nothing apparently happens when using these action groups; they still radiate heat when not extended, but are they supposed to extend, and have better efficiency?) If they don't extend, why am I seeing an option for them to deploy in the action groups menu?

(as far as action group mods go, I have AG Extended and Auto Action installed)

Do radial radiators extend or don't they? When I go into the action groups while building the ship, I see options to deploy/retract/toggle the radiators, but no such option when I right-click them in-flight (and I did check in-game, nothing apparently happens when using these action groups; they still radiate heat when not extended, but are they supposed to extend, and have better efficiency?) If they don't extend, why am I seeing an option for them to deploy in the action groups menu?

(as far as action group mods go, I have AG Extended and Auto Action installed)

Did you run out of power? I am commonly running out of power because of the cost of keeping propellants liquid, so double check that.

- - - Updated - - -

I still have been unable to consistently reproduce the NaN bug on my radiators, however, selling a ship affected with it produces this ->

image.png

upload jpg

(Dont worry, I have an automatic versioning system so my save file can be reverted, but if someone did not they would be borked)

Did you run out of power? I am commonly running out of power because of the cost of keeping propellants liquid, so double check that.

I am not running out of power; I tested this in a sandbox game by throwing a ton of Gigantor solar panels and several radial radiators (the first in the tech tree, since those are the only ones I have on my main save) on a ship, and then putting it in orbit and time-accelerating to 10k speed and watching what happened (including pulling out of time warp to see if I could deploy radiators once they got hot and started radiating some heat away).

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I do not understand how radiators work. Are they not just "put on ship -> waste heat is radiated"? (Aside from the missing deployment for my radial radiators)

Edited by Drake1500

I am not running out of power; I tested this in a sandbox game by throwing a ton of Gigantor solar panels and several radial radiators (the first in the tech tree, since those are the only ones I have on my main save) on a ship, and then putting it in orbit and time-accelerating to 10k speed and watching what happened (including pulling out of time warp to see if I could deploy radiators once they got hot and started radiating some heat away).

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I do not understand how radiators work. Are they not just "put on ship -> waste heat is radiated"? (Aside from the missing deployment for my radial radiators)

I am also having some weird bugs with them. I can deploy them in all cases though, except when I lose power. Yes, they are supposed to just be put on the ship and radiate heat.

*Edit:

Sorry, I just read your post a little closer. Radiators do not take care of heating issues in things like engines and re-entry heat. They will in an update, but not currently.

Edited by Profit-

I am fairly certain the Final Frontier mod does not play well with KSPI-E. When I had it, I had very erratic performance of reactors, and when I would focus on a vehicle that had a reactor or radiators except during launch the game would go dark (Not black but like kerbol was extinguished and you could only see the stars) and the vehicle would not work. Would someone confirm and make sure it is not just that mod in combination with one of my others.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/428/Final%20Frontier

- - - Updated - - -

The IR telescope's buttons appear to be a little messed up. You can perform a deep field survey at less than 1 AU and get science, but deploy does nothing.

I am also having some weird bugs with them. I can deploy them in all cases though, except when I lose power. Yes, they are supposed to just be put on the ship and radiate heat.

*Edit:

Sorry, I just read your post a little closer. Radiators do not take care of heating issues in things like engines and re-entry heat. They will in an update, but not currently.

I realize that they will not radiate stock heat away. Here are a couple of pictures of what is going on:

eiIlMls.jpg

Note the Deploy/Retract/Toggle Radiator options in the Action Groups

ApdugQn.jpg

But in space, I can't deploy the radiators, and using the Action Groups to do so does nothing either.

I am fairly certain the Final Frontier mod does not play well with KSPI-E. When I had it, I had very erratic performance of reactors, and when I would focus on a vehicle that had a reactor or radiators except during launch the game would go dark (Not black but like kerbol was extinguished and you could only see the stars) and the vehicle would not work. Would someone confirm and make sure it is not just that mod in combination with one of my others.

I can confirm that Final Frontier plus the reactors/radiators in my install do in fact play nicely together, so perhaps it's a different mod you have installed?

Actually to a certain extend , they already do. The thermal nozzle/turbojet heat part.emmisiveConstant is dynamically affected by the performance (wasteheat ratio) of the radiators. You can actually tweak it performance with the variables emisiveConstantMult and emisiveConstantExp.

Edited by FreeThinker

I can confirm that Final Frontier plus the reactors/radiators in my install do in fact play nicely together, so perhaps it's a different mod you have installed?

That is interesting... So it is the interaction between that and one of the other ones and KSPI... LOL Wonder what one finishes the triangle.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem I believe may be you are using the radial radiators, try a large flat radiator and see if that one works.

The problem I believe may be you are using the radial radiators, try a large flat radiator and see if that one works.

Yes, the radiator arrays do extend. Basically, you are saying that the radial radiator does not extend? If that is the case, my question is:

If they don't extend, why am I seeing an option for them to deploy in the action groups menu?

I realize that they will not radiate stock heat away. Here are a couple of pictures of what is going on:

http://i.imgur.com/eiIlMls.jpg

Note the Deploy/Retract/Toggle Radiator options in the Action Groups

http://i.imgur.com/ApdugQn.jpg

But in space, I can't deploy the radiators, and using the Action Groups to do so does nothing either.

The foldable and non foldable radiator share the same part. But just because that KSP plugin can find a unfold actiongroup, doesn't mean it is actualy avialble for all radiators

Edited by FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 1.1.15 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-06-03

• Added 3 new Switchable Fuel Tanks made available at lower tech nodes, an 8000L 16000L and 10000L radial sphere Tank (which is significantly lighter but at the cost of strength)
  • Attempt to fix NaN errors for Radiators
  • Update Interstellar Fuel Tank to 1.7

- - - Updated - - -

Edit : Note I added an overview of Interstellar Fuel Tanks on the OP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.