KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

From memory: Reactor, Generators, Electric Microwave recievers /transmitter, Electric engines and Vista produce wasteheat. Note that other electric process like IRSU and Refinement should also produce wasteheat. In short, anything with an effiency < 100% produces wasteheat.

Radiators, Thermal Engines and Magnetic Noozles consume wasteheat

But Why are you asking?

Edited by FreeThinker

It appears you have the dreaded NaN problem. It's not KSPI-E fault

Well its a sweet mod... how do I get it to work? Are there compatability issues with the mods I am using? I"ve got the expanded solar system mod that I really wanted to use with this...

Im thinking of just doing a clean install but i really dont want to...

Well its a sweet mod... how do I get it to work? Are there compatability issues with the mods I am using? I"ve got the expanded solar system mod that I really wanted to use with this...

Im thinking of just doing a clean install but i really dont want to...

I don't know the expanded solar system mod, but I do offer support for the Outer Planets Mod (see Op of all most that I support)

I don't know the expanded solar system mod, but I do offer support for the Outer Planets Mod (see Op of all most that I support)

My bad, that's the one I have actually... I did a flyby of Saranus and its moon, Tecko, before returning back to Kerbin. I also got a space jet full of fuel on laythe, it's got enough delta v to make it back to orbit but not back to Kerbin... Needless to say, It's pretty awesome. Is the NAN problem even fixable?

My bad, that's the one I have actually... I did a flyby of Saranus and its moon, Tecko, before returning back to Kerbin. I also got a space jet full of fuel on laythe, it's got enough delta v to make it back to orbit but not back to Kerbin... Needless to say, It's pretty awesome. Is the NAN problem even fixable?

Yes, prevent 0/0 calculations.

I'm actually quite dissapointed to find that crashing antimatter tanks to things doesn't cause an antimatter detonation like that caused when the charge has completely dissipated

KSPI Antimatter explosion in general are kind of disappointing. A full thank should be enough to wipe Kerbal Space Center from the map, but is this what we want? It would be instant Game Over

KSPI Antimatter explosion in general are kind of disappointing. A full thank should be enough to wipe Kerbal Space Center from the map, but is this what we want? It would be instant Game Over

Only if you lack the funds to rebuild at least some of the buildings from scratch - and antimatter is so late-game that you might have the funds right away. Worst case, you will almost certainly have some facility that can mine something expensive and send it to Kerbin for quick cash.

Only if you lack the funds to rebuild at least some of the buildings from scratch - and antimatter is so late-game that you might have the funds right away. Worst case, you will almost certainly have some facility that can mine something expensive and send it to Kerbin for quick cash.

Do you think the Kerbal allow you back in control after kill everything on the base? You seem to forget that Antimatter explosion are mostly radiation. Beside radiating everything, it would vaporize the base and create a nuclear winter for several decades creating mass extinction for all Kerbin Life.

If you dare to show your face again, I sure they will lynch you. If they have never done it, they will invent it :D

Yes, prevent 0/0 calculations.

I have no idea how to do that... I'm gonna do a fresh install, outer planets mod first, interstellar extended next, then the rest of the mods I have one by one and see at least if one of the mods I installed is causing the issues.

Do you think the Kerbal allow you back in control after kill everything on the base? You seem to forget that Antimatter explosion are mostly radiation. Beside radiating everything, it would vaporize the base and create a nuclear winter for several decades creating mass extinction for all Kerbin Life.

If you dare to show your face again, I sure they will lynch you. If they have never done it, they will invent it :D

Depends on how much antimatter, then. if it's even several grams, It should be no worse than detonating a reasonably sized nuke. Also, the radiation from matter/antimatter is primarily gamma and low-mass charged particles. There should be virtually no lasting fallout (stuff that can still decay, basically). in order to make something radioactive I would really have to be spraying neutrons everywhere - and those are much higher mass than I should be getting in any abundance... If it was a stupendously large amount.

1 kg of mass has rest energy ~ 21.5 megatons TNT. (so 500 grams anti-matter and 500 grams regular stuff).

for comparison:

Fat Man was .02 Mt.

modern nukes are between 0.3 and 1.2 Mt.

USA highest yield Hydrogen Bombs were theorized to be around 25 Mt

Tsar Bomba was 50 Mt

The Chicxulub impact is estimated to have been 100,000,000 Mt (100 Terratons - sounds like a superhero name, doesn't it?)

So every 500 grams of antimatter is another H-Bomb. Still, you will have little to no lingering radioactive substances...

EDIT:

For reference point for nuclear winter - the Mount Tambora eruption that caused the Year Without a Summer was 800 Mt. However, keep in mind that as an explosive volcano, the majority of that energy was directed upwards, and the primary coolants were sulfuric compounds only in abundance because they were coming out of the volcano. In the absence of those two, it would presumably take a great deal more energy to throw enough fine dusts and aerosols into the upper atmosphere to achieve a similar effect.

Edited by ABZB

Well 20 megaton should still be enough to destroy KSC and therefore get you kicked out of the program due to massive negative reputation damage.

yeah.

still no nuclear winter though ;)

The reaction would probably fizzle, the heat would probably prevent the matter from reacting with the antimatter at full speed, and it would be more of an atomic fire than an actual good explosion. It would all convert to energy but it would be over a period of time and not instantly.

The reaction would probably fizzle, the heat would probably prevent the matter from reacting with the antimatter at full speed, and it would be more of an atomic fire than an actual good explosion. It would all convert to energy but it would be over a period of time and not instantly.
fizzle? LOL I think you are confusing Nuclear Physics with Antimatter Physics. In an atmosphere, the antimatter has no where to hide. The antimatter released from an antimatter containment would instantly react with the air molecules, resulting in all energy released in an instant. Edited by FreeThinker

See I don't think that is exactly how it would work.. There actually was discussion of this a while ago, and while it would all convert from what I understand the heat would force the molecules in the atmosphere to be diffuse enough at the center to slow it down.... however the only thing I really see about this is this.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/114/

See I don't think that is exactly how it would work.. There actually was discussion of this a while ago, and while it would all convert from what I understand the heat would force the molecules in the atmosphere to be diffuse enough at the center to slow it down.... however the only thing I really see about this is this.

Now that would be an intresting discussion

Perhaps the antimatter in the middle would not get annihilated instantly, it would perhaps take a bit longer, but it would only be delayment of execution. All matter will eventualy be annihilated as it comes in contact atmospheric molecules, so the same amount of energy will be released, it just might not be with a big bang.

I'm getting all of these errors when I load the my save game:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Adding ModuleRadiation to scienceModule

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallAugmentedArcjetGears part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[ModuleInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at FNPlugin.PluginHelper.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallerAugmentedArcjet part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

at System.Linq.Enumerable.First[ModuleInfo] (IEnumerable`1 source) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallAugmentedArcjet part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: InterstellarPlasmaThruster part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: InterstellarPlasmaThrusterUpgraded part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: InterstellarPlasmaThrusterUpgraded part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

Cannot find module 'ModuleDeployableSolarPanel' (-298629360)

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: WBI.LargeRadiator part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: WBI.SmallRadiator part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I'm getting all of these errors when I load the my save game:

Adding ModuleRadiation to scienceModule

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallAugmentedArcjetGears part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallerAugmentedArcjet part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: FNSmallAugmentedArcjet part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: InterstellarPlasmaThruster part: System.InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: WBI.LargeRadiator part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[KSP Interstellar] Exception caught adding to: WBI.SmallRadiator part: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

They are mostly benign. I added parts which are never accesable in the VAB and must only be visible in the tech tree. This helps players to understand what technologies are unlocked by technodes which don't unlock any new parts. This is because many of Ksp parts, have 1 or even 2 upgrades. For example the plasma thruster has 3 tech levels. The engine itself is unlocked with Plasma Technology, but gains improved abilities as in progresses in the tech tree.

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.