KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

I had that mod instelled, CKAN updated it to 4.2

Maybe this was what broke it?

Yes, the problem was caused by an update of ModuleRCSFX just a few hours after my 1.4 release. Of course I could recompile with the new version and it would work again, but every time it would be updated, the same problem would arise, making KSPI completely inoperable.

To solve the problem, I created a cloned version of ModuleRCSFX, which was already used but original derived from ModuleRCSFX. The new version is completely independent (except for Stock RCS) which will have to be maintained manually but at least it is reliable and doesn't cause KSPI to fail

Edited by FreeThinker

Yes, the problem was caused by an update of ModuleRCSFX just a few hours after my 1.4 release. Of course I could recompile with the new version and it would work again, but every time it would be updated, the same problem would arise, making KSPI completely inoperable.

To solve the problem, I created a cloned version of ModuleRCSFX, which was already used but original derived from ModuleRCSFX. The new version is completely independent (except for Stock RCS) which will have to be maintained manually but at least it is reliable and doesn't cause KSPI to fail

That's not a reliability issue. That's a 'I don't feel like having to update every time this other mod I depend on updates'

Welcome to the world of dependencies.

Maybe using reflection would have served your needs better.

Now it all works all correctly. While 400 ISP isn't a lot, you use RCS only when docking :P

I used RCS aid to put 5 directional RCS (2x4 - 4 in front and 4 as far as you can on back - I placed it on VASMIR engine :P). Max translation acceleration is 0.1 G and max torque is 500 kN m

I upscaled it to 0.75m - for 1.25m SSTO is this even bit too much, but that making docking quick when employing mechjeb to dock it.

Now it all works all correctly. While 400 ISP isn't a lot, you use RCS only when docking :P

I used RCS aid to put 5 directional RCS (2x4 - 4 in front and 4 as far as you can on back - I placed it on VASMIR engine :P). Max translation acceleration is 0.1 G and max torque is 500 kN m

I upscaled it to 0.75m - for 1.25m SSTO is this even bit too much, but that making docking quick when employing mechjeb to dock it.

Do the RCS thrusters Thrust values scale with Tweakscale? I played around with this last night and it appeared that although the models scaled larger the thrust values stayed the same. I actually ended up using the Arcjet RCS thrusters and turning the thrust limit down to 5 to keep from using up all of my fuel. Having RCSFX is awesome on these thrusters though.

...To solve the problem, I created a cloned version of ModuleRCSFX, which was already used but original derived from ModuleRCSFX. The new version is completely independent (except for Stock RCS) which will have to be maintained manually but at least it is reliable and doesn't cause KSPI to fail

I use CKAN to keep things up to date, and I remember seeing RCSFX pop up as needing updating.

I remember checking KSPI and RCSFX in CKAN just before applying the updates.

So, what would the proper procedure in CKAN be to straighten this out?

Uncheck RCSFX and apply changes, then check the update box on KSPI and apply?

(I'd have already given it a shot, but I'm at work and won't be able to try this until later tonight)

I use CKAN to keep things up to date, and I remember seeing RCSFX pop up as needing updating.

I remember checking KSPI and RCSFX in CKAN just before applying the updates.

So, what would the proper procedure in CKAN be to straighten this out?

Uncheck RCSFX and apply changes, then check the update box on KSPI and apply?

(I'd have already given it a shot, but I'm at work and won't be able to try this until later tonight)

The issue seems to be that KSPI was being compiled with ModuleRCSFX referenced - i.e. that KSPI was being compiled to know about and interface directly with the additional features of RCSFX. The problem is that when ModuleRCSFX is updated, KSPI needs to be recompiled with the new version in order to know how to work with the new .dll file that will now be in the ModuleRCSFX folder. CKAN is not the place where the problem is occurring.

My explanation might be somewhat off, as I am not so experienced with this myself, but I hope I got the gist of it.

Do the RCS thrusters Thrust values scale with Tweakscale? I played around with this last night and it appeared that although the models scaled larger the thrust values stayed the same. I actually ended up using the Arcjet RCS thrusters and turning the thrust limit down to 5 to keep from using up all of my fuel. Having RCSFX is awesome on these thrusters though.

Now that you mention it, I forgot to modify ElectricRCSController TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS, maxThrust into baseThrust, then it should work. I will fix it in the next update

- - - Updated - - -

That's not a reliability issue. That's a 'I don't feel like having to update every time this other mod I depend on updates'

Welcome to the world of dependencies.

Maybe using reflection would have served your needs better.

I first tried without, it wouldn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's true strength is it's versatility; it ability to use any propellant and to fine tweak it and put it under action group. For High Isp, use real engines!

- - - Updated - - -

2 bugs:

ISRU doesn't work when unfocused, and apparently you need electric engine to collect resources while ship is unloaded.

Correct, you need to compensate for orbital decay. You can only achieve this is the cost of keeping in an orbit isn't higher than the amount of resource you can collect while in orbit

Edited by FreeThinker

Now that you mention it, I forgot to modify ElectricRCSController TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS, maxThrust into baseThrust, then it should work. I will fix it in the next update

- - - Updated - - -

I first tried without, it wouldn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's true strength is it's versatility; it ability to use any propellant and to fine tweak it and put it under action group. For High Isp, use real engines!

- - - Updated - - -

Correct, you need to compensate for orbital decay. You can only achieve this is the cost of keeping in an orbit isn't higher than the amount of resource you can collect while in orbit

Well but my 5m mothership with like 2500 tons of hydrazine can do just fine using thermal engine :(

It has ISP of 9700 so its as efficient as low end electrical engines, if not more.

So it should let me use only thermal engines, if they have sufficiently high ISP.

And what about ISRUs running on unloaded ships? It could just run at speed, that is in equiblirum of resource gathering.

For example if I collect 20kg/h of X and Y, then ISRU shouldn't just turn off but produce stuff at 20kg/h - it could be calculated like TAC life support does.

Unless there is way to do timewarp of 10000x on lower orbit.

Well but my 5m mothership with like 2500 tons of hydrazine can do just fine using thermal engine :(

It has ISP of 9700 so its as efficient as low end electrical engines, if not more.

So it should let me use only thermal engines, if they have sufficiently high ISP.

And what about ISRUs running on unloaded ships? It could just run at speed, that is in equiblirum of resource gathering.

For example if I collect 20kg/h of X and Y, then ISRU shouldn't just turn off but produce stuff at 20kg/h - it could be calculated like TAC life support does.

Unless there is way to do timewarp of 10000x on lower orbit.

I agree it should look at the engine effective Isp is high enough. I will make some adjustment to make it run with any Electric engine or Thermal engine (that can run on nitrogen) and have a high enough Isp

Edited by FreeThinker

Apparently RCS don't scale up thrust, when making them bigger with tweak scale.

Its still ~8 kN per RCS thruster (ran powered and on hydrazine)

Edit: And make to seek for most common gas in atmospheres - Venus has CO2, Titan has Methane and so on as most common gas in lower exosphere.

Nitrogen is good when orbiting Earth.

Edited by raxo2222

Version 1.4.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-24

• Included a fixed version of RcsSound which creates Rcs sounds for all Rcs parts including interstellar RCS
  • Fixed Tweakscale for RCS parts, which now correctly gain thrust strength when you resize them
  • Allow Rcs engines to downsized to half size
  • Propulsive fluid accumulator mode of Atmospheric Scoop can now also function with Thermal Nozzle with a high enough Maximum Isp

Apparently RCS don't scale up thrust, when making them bigger with tweak scale.

Its still ~8 kN per RCS thruster (ran powered and on hydrazine)

See FreeThinkers reply earlier in the thread. I pestered him about this earlier and he said it will be included in the next update.

@FreeThinker: Will I have any conflicts as I already have both the ModuleRCSFX and RCS Sounds mods downloaded from CKAN? ModuleRCSFX is needed by other mods.

Edited by Trolllception

Is there a tutorial or a video on how to make this mod work? I have no idea how this all works now since there have been a lot of changes. Especially the nuclear reactors to make the warpdrive work. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Is there a tutorial or a video on how to make this mod work? I have no idea how this all works now since there have been a lot of changes. Especially the nuclear reactors to make the warpdrive work. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

This may not be exactly what you are looking for and it's still a work in progress but I have started writing a beginners guide for KSPI. I actually haven't unlocked the warp drive stuff yet in my career and that part isnt detailed in this guide but there is loads of other useful information.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WjPP1xNDeMuRqEx7TaXJYIm86NJeP62PsExM02RzNQ4/edit?usp=sharing

This may not be exactly what you are looking for and it's still a work in progress but I have started writing a beginners guide for KSPI. I actually haven't unlocked the warp drive stuff yet in my career and that part isnt detailed in this guide but there is loads of other useful information.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WjPP1xNDeMuRqEx7TaXJYIm86NJeP62PsExM02RzNQ4/edit?usp=sharing

Ah thanks. I've been playing around with it like its the old setup and getting no where. At least this should enlighten me a little.

@FreeThinker: Will I have any conflicts as I already have both the ModuleRCSFX and RCS Sounds mods downloaded from CKAN? ModuleRCSFX is needed by other mods.

Not sure as RCS Sound is not listed as a requirement. At worst, the RCS sound will not work for KSPI RCS. The problem is, that RCS Sound does only look at ModuleRCS, not any PartModule what derived from it (which ModuleRCSFX and FNModuleRCSFX). I have made a pull request with the fix but it might take several week or longer before it is accepted. My guess is if you allow it to overwrite manually, CKAN should not be able to detect the difference

Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker: Found a typo in the displayed part names of the new KSPI RCS blocks (the arcjet RCS port is fine).

Instead of "Risistojet", it should be "Resistojet". It seems like this typo crept into all the new KSPI RCS blocks.

As far as I know, they work fine, it's just that the name's a bit off

Not sure as RCS Sound is not listed as a requirement. At worst, the RCS sound will not work for KSPI RCS. The problem is, that RCS Sound does only look at ModuleRCS, not any PartModule what derived from it (which ModuleRCSFX and FNModuleRCSFX). I have made a pull request with the fix but it might tke several week or longer before it is accepted. My guess is if you allow it to overwrite manually, CKAN should not be able to detect the difference

Ah I understand. It might be a good idea to say that RCS sounds is not needed and is already included on the OP, RCSFX as well if they can replace them.

Edited by Trolllception

Never replace files with a new update. Always remove the entire Warp folder and copy the new one in.

That's exactly what I did; perhaps I phrased that oddly.

I'll see if the updates did anything to alleviate my problem.

Things are mostly working now, although ever since the batch of updates that included the latest KSPIE, every time I push ESC to try to end scenario, quit, revert, etc, the dialog shows up, empty, and completely locks up the game. output_log.txt has, at the end of it, the following - I think it might be the RCS sounds added in KSPIE but the log isn't exactly 100% clear. The last block about the exception repeats itself past that point several hundred times, and I have to kill KSP with task manager:

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Can not play a disabled audio source

(Filename: Line: 377)

Game Paused!

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at FlightResultsDialog.draw (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Thank you FreeThinker,

1.4.2 fixed the issues I was having and all my existing nuke powered vessels started working again.

(I was a bit nervous for a while there)

One of those vessels was an accelerator in low Kerbal orbit. I hit "power up accelerator", set time to maximum warp, and went off to eat dinner. After dinner, and about 30 game days later, the data hit 1500/1500. I unwarped time and hit "download data". I got the usual science popup with reset/keep/transmit buttons. I noticed transmit was a small fraction of what I could get by keeping it. I went to hit keep and clicked on the window background. The window disappeared and the data went to 0/1500. It appears that the experiment reset itself. Is the accelerator resetting itself still an issue?

While I'm at it, I've a few other questions about the accelerator...

What is the intended configuration for a vessel with an accelerator?

Is it expected that it'll be a manned vessel?

Is it possible to send a Kerbal EVA and collect the data?

I switched to another vessel and warped time about a week,

when I came back I only had 1.20/1500 data.

If data accumulated while focused on another vessel I'd have expected over 300/1500 data.

(so I assume you have to maintain focus on the accelerator vessel until you hit 1500/1500?)

@FreeThinker: Found a typo in the displayed part names of the new KSPI RCS blocks (the arcjet RCS port is fine).

Instead of "Risistojet", it should be "Resistojet". It seems like this typo crept into all the new KSPI RCS blocks.

As far as I know, they work fine, it's just that the name's a bit off

Thanks for the correction. If you find any other mistake, please let me know

- - - Updated - - -

Things are mostly working now, although ever since the batch of updates that included the latest KSPIE, every time I push ESC to try to end scenario, quit, revert, etc, the dialog shows up, empty, and completely locks up the game. output_log.txt has, at the end of it, the following - I think it might be the RCS sounds added in KSPIE but the log isn't exactly 100% clear. The last block about the exception repeats itself past that point several hundred times, and I have to kill KSP with task manager:

Can not play a disabled audio source

(Filename: Line: 377)

Game Paused!

Question, how did you install KSPI-E?

Edited by FreeThinker

used CKAN, but removed it first and then reinstalled it. Should I try that again/try the process manually? I wasn't even sure which module was really causing the issue here, I just remember you said something about sound, and I saw the 'audio source' line there so I thought maybe it was a possibility.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.