KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

8 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

If you have KSP from Steam, try to validate your install, maybe something in the last update broken it. Other wise try to reinstall KSP, it seems like a game bug than a mod issue.

I had the same issues with a clean install with the previous Interstellar version so I don't know :/
That Nerva thingy seems to be kinda weird though..

1 hour ago, zayaraq said:

I had the same issues with a clean install with the previous Interstellar version so I don't know :/
That Nerva thingy seems to be kinda weird though..

Never had that issue, I'm sorry. maybe if you post your output log it is possible to find the cause of your crashes.

@FreeThinker, just for fun I made a spaceplane in sandbox with KSPI reactors and engines, I think that there are some discrepancies between the VAB Thermal Helper and the actual flight. In the screenshots you'll see that the TH shows some reds value for radiators. I flow this plane to Eve without any kind of thermal issue, the WasteHeat never went more than 30% more or less. When I was orbiting Eve I noticed too that all my radiators were inactives.

On a side note, theCurrent Lifetime of the Antimatter Reactor shows weird numbers.

Spoiler

t7dcO19.png

jmvb42p.png

jkXUSX7.png

FxtYp1y.png

Except for this little very low priority weirdness, engines and reactors are great to use and to see. The A/M also if deactivated, immediately restarted as soon as I ignite the engine, this is great!

If Real Plume has some new particles, maybe I'll try to improve the configs.

I would love to, but I kept my KSP on 1.1.1 since 1.1.2 seem to introduce more issues than it solves. However there is one issue I already noticed with 1.0.5. I like to use microwave transmission for my kerbin spaceplanes as well as low power stations. When two or more vessels receiving microwaves are within loading distance, only one gets powered, the other is at 0 MW. Sometimes you get only a fraction of available power, rotation the receiver may only reduce the receipt energy but never increase it. Doing F5/F9 switches over power to your active vessel. I may open up a github issue if you want.

Its especially problematic when undocking, because it leaves your ship powerless near the other. Since I got no critical systems (like antimatter containment *boom*) on microwaves I am pretending Kerbals are having a hard time targeting two vessels in close proximity.

Otherwise the 1.1 branch runs pretty well for me. My only complaint would be, that like above said it became pretty much impossible to get thermals into the green range with anything above 2GW. Having four absurdly large 400% folding radiator and still overheating does not feel right.

6 hours ago, TheTaleteller said:

I would love to, but I kept my KSP on 1.1.1 since 1.1.2 seem to introduce more issues than it solves. However there is one issue I already noticed with 1.0.5. I like to use microwave transmission for my kerbin spaceplanes as well as low power stations. When two or more vessels receiving microwaves are within loading distance, only one gets powered, the other is at 0 MW. Sometimes you get only a fraction of available power, rotation the receiver may only reduce the receipt energy but never increase it. Doing F5/F9 switches over power to your active vessel. I may open up a github issue if you want.

Its especially problematic when undocking, because it leaves your ship powerless near the other. Since I got no critical systems (like antimatter containment *boom*) on microwaves I am pretending Kerbals are having a hard time targeting two vessels in close proximity.

Otherwise the 1.1 branch runs pretty well for me. My only complaint would be, that like above said it became pretty much impossible to get thermals into the green range with anything above 2GW. Having four absurdly large 400% folding radiator and still overheating does not feel right.

Good point, the current meachanism does not take into account that multiple vessels can at the same try to collect IR energy, I will fix it as soon as I turn my attention to remote energy transfer

13 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Never had that issue, I'm sorry. maybe if you post your output log it is possible to find the cause of your crashes.

@FreeThinker, just for fun I made a spaceplane in sandbox with KSPI reactors and engines, I think that there are some discrepancies between the VAB Thermal Helper and the actual flight. In the screenshots you'll see that the TH shows some reds value for radiators. I flow this plane to Eve without any kind of thermal issue, the WasteHeat never went more than 30% more or less. When I was orbiting Eve I noticed too that all my radiators were inactives.

On a side note, theCurrent Lifetime of the Antimatter Reactor shows weird numbers.

Reveal hidden contents

t7dcO19.png

jmvb42p.png

jkXUSX7.png

FxtYp1y.png

Except for this little very low priority weirdness, engines and reactors are great to use and to see. The A/M also if deactivated, immediately restarted as soon as I ignite the engine, this is great!

If Real Plume has some new particles, maybe I'll try to improve the configs.

LOL, you lost you head at Venus? Btw why didn't you use any of the new graphite radiators, which are significantly lighter and more compact

Edited by FreeThinker

45 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

LOL, you lost you head at Venus? Btw why didn't you use any of the new graphite radiators, which are significantly lighter and more compact

Yes, I tried a very careful approach, using the engine to stop my vertical speed, however I slowed down not enough, it was just a test, FAR is funny for things like that.

About the radiators, I though (maybe I was wrong), that the old radiators were more effective. In a aestetich way too, the new one will be wonderful on a mothership, not so much on a spaceplane, or at least I still have to figure aout a way to put them there, as I have to figure out also how to make the Magneto Engine works.

30 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

About the radiators, I though (maybe I was wrong), that the old radiators were more effective. In a aestetich way too, the new one will be wonderful on a mothership, not so much on a spaceplane, or at least I still have to figure aout a way to put them there, as I have to figure out also how to make the Magneto Engine works.

Some ago I was thinking about cooling spaceplanes as well. I like to build my spaceplanes using those OPT parts, a mod sadly currently not having an active maintainer. However, i thought planes got those huge flat wings which are completely useless in the vacuum of space. Therefore i forked myself a wing, retextured it a litte, added radiator modules and tweaked weight and fuel capacity for not being totally overpowered. Voilà, no weird drag anymore and better looking as well. On the downside the whole wing glows, instead of just the radiator elements. For 1.0.5 it reduced my part count as bonus feature.

spaceplane.jpg

Having "official" spaceplane wings with integrated cooling would be even better! *wink*

2 hours ago, TheTaleteller said:

Some ago I was thinking about cooling spaceplanes as well. I like to build my spaceplanes using those OPT parts, a mod sadly currently not having an active maintainer. However, i thought planes got those huge flat wings which are completely useless in the vacuum of space. Therefore i forked myself a wing, retextured it a litte, added radiator modules and tweaked weight and fuel capacity for not being totally overpowered. Voilà, no weird drag anymore and better looking as well. On the downside the whole wing glows, instead of just the radiator elements. For 1.0.5 it reduced my part count as bonus feature.

spaceplane.jpg

Having "official" spaceplane wings with integrated cooling would be even better! *wink*

mmm, perhaps integrating ABZB KSPI-E Spaceplane Mod into KSPI-E wouldn't be such a bad idea especialy now that radiator performance is closely linked to reseached radiator techhnology

Btw, where did this picture come from?

3 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

Yes, I tried a very careful approach, using the engine to stop my vertical speed, however I slowed down not enough, it was just a test, FAR is funny for things like that.

As a general rule, the radiators that are unlocked with higher tech, have reduced mass and can get hotter.

Edited by FreeThinker

Personal footage, i use this design for delivery within kerbin space. Mostly OPT space plane parts. I added a FlatFNRadiator Module with your upgradeTech parameters, as well as an ModuleActiveRadiator.

Original Mod: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/87956-105wip-opt-space-plane-v18-test-release-available-08012016/

So you modified the exisiting textures? Care to share them in KSPI-E?

Edited by FreeThinker

Its not much of an artwork, as i did it just for myself. But since its a combination of your flat radiator texture and a OPT b-wing - sure why not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcxis757ar2wnhk/OPTWingKSPI.zip?dl=0

Radiator capacity might be quiet overpowered since it was made before rebalance. As for the original mod, looks like there is activity again.

2 hours ago, gary85 said:

how to mine hydrate on the mun?

i have big refinery and all tanks + 4 drills - orbital scan + surface scan .

i wana make hydrogen.

I know of effectively 5 ways of creating hydrogen.

1: from electrolysis  water which can be found anywhere on Kerbin some polar crater on the move, and  few low point on Minimus.

2: from Pyrolysis of Methane

3 : from electrolysis Ammonia  

4:  from atmosphere

5: from  just above the atmosphere atmosphere

Edited by FreeThinker

Just now, FreeThinker said:

I know of effectivly 3 ways of creating hydrogen. 1: from water which can be found anywhere on Kerbin some polar crater on the move, and  few low point on Minimus. 2 from overheating Methane or Ammonia 3 : from upper atmosphere

is there any resource minning tutorial?

ye but do i need scoop or drills will do?

btw duna caps are co2 or ice?

6 minutes ago, gary85 said:

ok ty , and what about planets that dont have atmosphere? we stuck with drills only?

Water within KSPIe resources is quiet rare, minmus flats and mun polar craters are all i know of. There are other mod supplying drillable water resources like MKS.

1 hour ago, gary85 said:

ok ty , and what about planets that dont have atmosphere? we stuck with drills only?

There aren't drills in KSPI, you just need the white big one refinery for resources from soil and scoop for atmospheric resources.

5 minutes ago, Nansuchao said:

There aren't drills in KSPI, you just need the white big one refinery for resources from soil and scoop for atmospheric resources.

i see thx

1 more question why vista engine now work on hydrogen not on liquid fuel?

8 minutes ago, gary85 said:

ye but hydrogen is very light and have little isp.

Actually it has the highest Isp and in the long run, higher delta V . Also notice, the tanks are a lot lighter, in fact with the last version, they have the same mass fraction as other resources.

Edited by FreeThinker

Actually it has the highest Isp and in the long run, higher delta V . Also notice, the tanks are a lot light, in fact with the last version, they have the same mass fraction as other resources.

ye my bad what i meant that hydrogen run out so fast but i guess thx to your wrapper tanks i can now make grand tour :) idk why im complaining :D

2 minutes ago, gary85 said:

ye my bad what i meant that hydrogen run out so fast but i guess thx to your wrapper tanks i can now make grand tour :) idk why im complaining :D

Also Don't forget to add enough radiators, as they generate more waste heat that they require power

Also Don't forget to add enough radiators, as they generate more waste heat that they require power

ye wraped ones work great for droptanks on spaceplane

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

mmm, perhaps integrating ABZB KSPI-E Spaceplane Mod into KSPI-E wouldn't be such a bad idea especialy now that radiator performance is closely linked to reseached radiator techhnology

Btw, where did this picture come from?

As a general rule, the radiators that are unlocked with higher tech, have reduced mass and can get hotter.

What I usually do is clip the large flat radiators inside the spaceplane wings so that just a little is sticking out the front.  This essentially gives you radiator wings.  It's not the most elegant solution but a 400% tweakscaled Big-S delta wing can have like 6 large flat radiators at 100-150% stuffed inside each one, which is enough for even multiple 3.75m antimatter reactors.  And it doesn't damage the aesthetic much if at all.

@FreeThinker you may or may not be aware, or care since it's a CKAN thing and it's probably on their end; but KSP Interstellar isn't showing up on CKAN currently *at all*, even if you tell it to show 'all available mods regardless of compatibility'.  It did this once before.  IIRC it fixed itself but I'm not sure how that sausage was made, exactly.

I'll grab the 1.1.2-compatible one manually from the forum front page for now.  IFS is updated and correct on CKAN though, it's just the core mod that isn't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.