KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

21 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

Ok now I have a really odd issue as my thermal turbojet that is attached to the gas core reactor can only use atmosphere and not the liquid fuel that my ssto has on board.  The thermal turbo jets attached to the pebble bed reactor can use both atmosphere and liquid fuel just fine.

Gas Core reactor are not meant to be connected to Thermal Turbojet, use a Pebble Bed reactor, Molten Salt reactor, Magneto Inertial Fusion reactor or Reactor

Edited by FreeThinker

6 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Gas Core reactor are not meant to be connected to Thermal Turbojet, use a Pebble Bed reactor, Molten Salt reactor, Magneto Inertial Fusion reactor or Reactor

So can the gas core reactor use any engine that uses liquid fuel (from the base game) as its propellant?

On 7-5-2016 at 9:17 PM, captinjoehenry said:

So can the gas core reactor use any engine that uses liquid fuel (from the base game) as its propellant?

The open cycle gas core reactor is very specific in it selection of propellant . It can can work with Boranes and any Mono Element Propellant except Carbon and Oxygen . This means it will not work Liquid Fuel, which contains Carbon and  consists of multiple of different atoms. Propellant that should work with Open Cycle Gas Core are LqdHydrogen, LqdHelium, Lithium, LqdNitrogen, Argon and XenonGas

Edited by FreeThinker

I have encountered an issue with the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, I have tested this in both sandbox and science mode.

In the CTT, there are 3 "variants" of the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, two called tokamak fusion reactor, are all these supposed to be the same one? or upgrades?

I don't get any higher core temp on the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, only 2.5K, and in the old version for ksp 1.0.5, you got higher when you researched tokamak fusion reactor. (15K I think)

Anyone else noticed this?

I am only running with KSPI and MechJeb

The generator is "locked" on its position..
Im on the newest version on CKAN, its probably caused by another mod, if im the only one getting this..

c4E2AoH.png

Edited by Ajes

Whenever i launch KSP with this mod installed the loading screen pauses at WarpPlugin/Parts/Engines/AluminiumHybrid/part/AluminiumHybrid1. I checked in the game files and the Aluminium Hybrid rocket seems to be missing several files (theres only one, titled 'part'). Is there any way to fix this?

2 hours ago, Ajes said:

Im on the newest version on CKAN, its probably caused by another mod, if im the only one getting this..

c4E2AoH.png

Are you using the last version of Interstellar Fuel Switch?

2 hours ago, TacticalToaster said:

Whenever i launch KSP with this mod installed the loading screen pauses at WarpPlugin/Parts/Engines/AluminiumHybrid/part/AluminiumHybrid1. I checked in the game files and the Aluminium Hybrid rocket seems to be missing several files (theres only one, titled 'part'). Is there any way to fix this?

Try to re-download and re-install manually the mod.

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

Are you using the last version of Interstellar Fuel Switch?

Try to re-download and re-install manually the mod.

I got that bug too, but I downgraded tweak scale to previous version - this fixed bug.

I build this low tech (it runs on molten salt! I think it could run on unupgraded molten salt, if I set fuel to thorium) stratosphere jet. It is cute, it isn't?

What if I made it nitrogen fueled?..... This way I could fly faster than 1300 m/s

Built in SAS inside of radiator keeps it very stable.

Antimatter plane can fly  in mesosphere, but its much more wasteful than nuclear jet, which is comfortable in stratosphere.

MVFYRJt.jpg

Edited by raxo2222

10 hours ago, xiphias said:

I have encountered an issue with the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, I have tested this in both sandbox and science mode.

In the CTT, there are 3 "variants" of the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, two called tokamak fusion reactor, are all these supposed to be the same one? or upgrades?

I don't get any higher core temp on the magnetic confinement fusion reactor, only 2.5K, and in the old version for ksp 1.0.5, you got higher when you researched tokamak fusion reactor. (15K I think)

Anyone else noticed this?

I am only running with KSPI and MechJeb

That would be pretty much the same issue I was noting earlier.  Reactor upgrades, at least for the magnetic confinement fusion reactor and the antimatter-initiated fusion reactor do not seem to be working.  They show up on the tech tree just fine, but purchasing them does not, in fact, give you access to the upgraded reactors.  You can sidestep this on the magnetic confinement reactor by viewing parts by tech level, as they show up under "level 9", there, but I haven't found any way at all to access the upgraded antimatter-initiated reactors.  Additionally, the High-Q and Ultra-Q reactors don't seem to function, even if you do pick them off the level 9 tech list--both will endlessly give you the warning about needing to reduce power requirements and not produce power for your generator or attached engine.  Thanks for confirming to me that this isn't just an isolated problem only I am experiencing.  I've been trying everything I could think of with changing out mods/reinstalling the program to fix it over the past month or so.

6 hours ago, Liothe said:

That would be pretty much the same issue I was noting earlier.  Reactor upgrades, at least for the magnetic confinement fusion reactor and the antimatter-initiated fusion reactor do not seem to be working.  They show up on the tech tree just fine, but purchasing them does not, in fact, give you access to the upgraded reactors.  You can sidestep this on the magnetic confinement reactor by viewing parts by tech level, as they show up under "level 9", there, but I haven't found any way at all to access the upgraded antimatter-initiated reactors.  Additionally, the High-Q and Ultra-Q reactors don't seem to function, even if you do pick them off the level 9 tech list--both will endlessly give you the warning about needing to reduce power requirements and not produce power for your generator or attached engine.  Thanks for confirming to me that this isn't just an isolated problem only I am experiencing.  I've been trying everything I could think of with changing out mods/reinstalling the program to fix it over the past month or so.

Yup, it is like you described it, exactly the same problem for me. I tried with picking the reactors of the "level 9" tab, but as you say, they don't function :P Thank you too for confirming this!

20 hours ago, Ajes said:

c4E2AoH.png

Please describe the exact steps to reproduce

Also important, what version of tweaksale are you using, try to test with a previous version. I suspect it has something to do with recent changes in tweakscale

Edited by FreeThinker

16 hours ago, raxo2222 said:

I got that bug too, but I downgraded tweak scale to previous version - this fixed bug.

I build this low tech (it runs on molten salt! I think it could run on unupgraded molten salt, if I set fuel to thorium) stratosphere jet. It is cute, it isn't?

What if I made it nitrogen fueled?..... This way I could fly faster than 1300 m/s

Built in SAS inside of radiator keeps it very stable.

Antimatter plane can fly  in mesosphere, but its much more wasteful than nuclear jet, which is comfortable in stratosphere.

MVFYRJt.jpg

Seems it it working as it should

3 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Seems it it working as it should

Sorry for confusion - there are actually 2 things: I confirmed, that latest tweak scale version causes bug, and then I went around building highest flying plane.

I noticed another issue while playing today, it's with the charged particles electric generator (I used the 3.75m scale), when I have NearFutureElectrical installed, it seems like the generator is somewhat "loose" when flying, and parts attached radially to it wiggles alot when flying. Removing NearFutureElectrical solves this problem, but here is the thing I think is weird:

I know KSPI changes when you have NearFutureElectrical installed (for balance i believe), but I only wanted the batteries from NFE so I removed everything exept them in the mod folder, but the problem with the generator still existed.

So next up I tried to just rename the mod folder from "NearFutureElectrical" to "Electrical" and that solved the issue, so to me it seems like there is something KSPI changes something that it shouldn't, because the NFE parts worked as they should.

And btw FreeThinker, you are doing a very good job with this mod, it is my favorite of all :) love it!

2 hours ago, xiphias said:

I noticed another issue while playing today, it's with the charged particles electric generator (I used the 3.75m scale), when I have NearFutureElectrical installed, it seems like the generator is somewhat "loose" when flying, and parts attached radially to it wiggles alot when flying. Removing NearFutureElectrical solves this problem, but here is the thing I think is weird:

I know KSPI changes when you have NearFutureElectrical installed (for balance i believe), but I only wanted the batteries from NFE so I removed everything exept them in the mod folder, but the problem with the generator still existed.

So next up I tried to just rename the mod folder from "NearFutureElectrical" to "Electrical" and that solved the issue, so to me it seems like there is something KSPI changes something that it shouldn't, because the NFE parts worked as they should.

And btw FreeThinker, you are doing a very good job with this mod, it is my favorite of all :) love it!

when things start to wiggle, it's usualy an indication a very light part is to blame. The floating issues caused by tweakscale, also has a less obvious effect of making parts very light. What I think what happened is that  tweakscale causes the partModule to be very light, causing it to wiggle

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

when things start to wiggle, it's usualy an indication a very light is to blame. The floating issues caused by tweakscale, also has a less obvious effect of making part very light. What I think what happened is that  tweakscale causes the partModule to be very light, causing it to wiggle

Ah alright, yes that might be the case, have to check it out :P thank you!

Ok I have found another odd issue.  The Thermal Turbo Jet Hybrid says that it has 1200 ISP in the vacuum and burning liquid fuel multiplies that by .7 but in game I get a  baseMaxISP of 813 which is about correct for the ISP of the engine with liquid fuel but my MaxISP is only 569 which is .7 times 813 so I am getting 1200 ISP * .7 * .7 which is heavily reducing the amount of DeltaV my rocket is getting.

1 hour ago, captinjoehenry said:

Ok I have found another odd issue.  The Thermal Turbo Jet Hybrid says that it has 1200 ISP in the vacuum and burning liquid fuel multiplies that by .7 but in game I get a  baseMaxISP of 813 which is about correct for the ISP of the engine with liquid fuel but my MaxISP is only 569 which is .7 times 813 so I am getting 1200 ISP * .7 * .7 which is heavily reducing the amount of DeltaV my rocket is getting.

Exactly in what situation are you getting this effect. Notice there might be other effects involved like core temperature which need yo heat up and atmospheric effects

It seems that somehow there are two different masses (One initial mass and one delta mass, where the delta mass is still negative) of the electric generator, as in my picture. This is when I am running with NearFutureElectrical. The solarpanels and radiators alomost falls off by them self when just standing on the launchpad :P

Edit: The post image thing didn't work for me, posting the link instead. http://postimg.org/image/l7kpa361d/full/

Edited by xiphias

3 hours ago, xiphias said:

It seems that somehow there are two different masses (One initial mass and one delta mass, where the delta mass is still negative) of the electric generator, as in my picture. This is when I am running with NearFutureElectrical. The solarpanels and radiators alomost falls off by them self when just standing on the launchpad :P

Edit: The post image thing didn't work for me, posting the link instead. http://postimg.org/image/l7kpa361d/full/

Oh, nothing to worry about. Those a debuging values I used them fix the negative mass problem. Apparently I forget to hide them again. Note the delta mass can be negative depending on scaling and attached reactor power. Targetmass = Initial mass - Delta Mass. Then when something goes wrong, and a screen dump is made, it allows me to find what value is wrong and how it should be corrected.

In this picture you can see the target mass is too low, that means something went wrong in it's calcualtion, which is based on reactor power output. It seems it doesn't take into account Near Future power rebalance which make all reactor produce less power (but engine alse require less power). Thanx for bringing this to my attention

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.