KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Well, talking about SpacePlanes, here's my last Interstellar Creation, useful for early tech tree career mode. She's called Alia, and can reach every part of the Kerbin system for crew transfer. She can refuel in orbit, so, if needed, she can go everywhere. Simple TTJ, Molten Salt reactor/Thermal Generator.

Y0PA5bc.png

Is this normal for Atillas to have TWR of ~100's?

It is powered trough microwave network - like 60 TW of power worth.

I play sandbox so yea its easy to have this much power.

Also edited antimatter reactor and generators to have max size of 20 meters for lolz :P

Looks like Vista has nice 6 digit ISP if you burn as slow as you can:

http://imgur.com/a/uJuRu

Yes, but remember that it burns Deuterium & Tritium at the same rate no matter what the throttle/thrust/isp. I find that balancing the main fuel usage without going too low on thrust or too inefficient on D/T usage is what I have in my mind for each maneuver.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is broken, I need to fix and eventualy replace it with stock resource gathering. If only I had more time.

Do you have the mod code on github? Maybe help in the form of patches submitted may help progress and your time constraints? Just a thought.

@ FreeThinker - noticed the double Thermal Nozzle entry on the OP. Presumably the second one was meant to be Thermal Turbojet?:wink:

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have the mod code on github? Maybe help in the form of patches submitted may help progress and your time constraints? Just a thought.

Yes everything is hosted on GitHub, I already fixed the Uranium/Thorium resource extraction btw

Hey FreeThinker, much appreciated for picking up Interstellar maintenance!

I picked up the mod after seeing that it was getting regular maintenance again and installed it on an install of KSP 1.0.4, and I'm getting a lot of NaN outputs both in the VAB and in flight mode:

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-08-04%252520at%2525206.42.21%252520PM.png

Screen%252520Shot%2525202015-08-04%252520at%2525206.42.33%252520PM.png

I get NaN on many of the KSPIx parts, not just the turbojet and reactor pictured. I'm also getting some strange behavior with the thermal power generated by the reactors. The generated numbers fluctuate greatly and the throttle goes all over the place. I did re-install KSP and that did not resolve the issue.

I didn't see an issue reported on github...is anybody else having issues with thermal power on v1.0.4?

I was playing around in the log and am seeing these messages when resizing certain parts:

[Warning]: [TweakScale Warning] No valid member found for powerRequirements in InterstellarFissionPBDP
TweakScale.Tools:LogWf(String, Object[])
TweakScale.MemberUpdater:Create(Object, String)
TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateFields(Object, Object, ScalingFactor, Part)
TweakScale.ScaleExponents:UpdateObject(Part, Part, Dictionary`2, ScalingFactor)
TweakScale.TSGenericUpdater:OnRescale(ScalingFactor)
TweakScale.TweakScale:OnTweakScaleChanged()
TweakScale.TweakScale:Update()

I'm wondering if it's related to #11. Up until I resize, the numbers are fine. Reactors that display this symptom:

• Dusty Plasma
  • Pebble Bed Reactor

The NaN values from the screenshot above in of the Turbojet menu seem to show up when attached to either of the two reactors listed above.

Edited by milbournosphere

I'm at endgame, using kspi and outer planets. Having a blast now with a pair of warp ships zooming around, feels like I'm in the future. What I've been up to: mainly conventional missions until researched microwave power. Got a decent network up around kerbin, one relay at mun, big ground reactor at ksp, eventually one in orbit. Got offered a bunch of moho missions, sent a reactor and a few relays there, lobbed a bunch of ships from kerbin microwave Hotspot to moho Hotspot. No power for mid course corrections but unlimited dv at start and finish. A tiny molten salt generally to keep the lights on for most payload ships. Got antimatter and quantum plasma researched and it was on! It didnt seem right to buy antimatter, plus bloody expensive. Bootstrapped 6 scilabs full of useless engineer types making antimatter at the runway (microwave receiver turned waaay down to avoid being cooked by nearby mess of fusion reactors transmitting power to the universe) into a quick collector station in kerbin van allen belts to get me started, then lobbed an antimatter reactor and a few collectors to jool, 50+ GW microwave power online. Sent over some relays and payloads for various jool missions, finished out tech tree mainly by ferrying Sci to a moho orbital scilab. Recovered all my stray kerbals from various missions started playing with unmanned warp drive ships. Didn't want to warp Jeb into interstellar space. Low on cash, so collected the gobs of antimatter that had accumulated around my 2 stations and landed it at ksc for 32,000,000. Now warping around to Sarnus, and various other faraway spots.

My typical ship is just a big plasma, some radiators, microwave receivers, and a payload. I short the radiators a bit for weight, so basically I have to toggle receivers on, I can use plasma thruster to burn for free, then toggle off to avoid overheat. Early on to save cash i would keep a pusher ship with a vista or big plasma in kerbin orbit with a docking port to lob a payload to moho, burn until i had intercept, undock and burn back to kerbin for the next load, saving all the payload dv for the other end. haven't used thermals, tried atilla but burned all my fuel too quickly, magnetic not really as I rarely carry a large reactor, I'm an update behind so haven't tried vasimir yet.

Just wanted to say great job on this mod, I think one of the best parts is that there are lots of ways to play through. This was one of them :)

Edited by Jetski

@Jetski

Very good play there. Do you always use transmitted power?. Doesn't it limit the destinations you can go? What is your best power station output and how far can you use it effectively.

I started kspi with your approach but after sometime it was not enough, its limiting. I still think microwave power transfer is still the best way to navigate through solar system but you need monster power generation stations to make it effective in long distances. My ultimate goal was operating reactor vessels until I build a self sufficient orbital antimatter power station with 1 TW power. I never reached that goal but this is a new start I am playing, hopefull this time. I am asking around for other peoples experiences. I am planning to build a hybrid vessel with microwave powered engine for liftoff and reactor powered engines for long voyages.

You should really try thermal turbojet. With your kerbin power station it can really be a beast lifter engine.

I'm at endgame, using kspi and outer planets. Having a blast now with a pair of warp ships zooming around, feels like I'm in the future. What I've been up to: mainly conventional missions until researched microwave power. Got a decent network up around kerbin, one relay at mun, big ground reactor at ksp, eventually one in orbit. Got offered a bunch of moho missions, sent a reactor and a few relays there, lobbed a bunch of ships from kerbin microwave Hotspot to moho Hotspot. No power for mid course corrections but unlimited dv at start and finish. A tiny molten salt generally to keep the lights on for most payload ships. Got antimatter and quantum plasma researched and it was on! It didnt seem right to buy antimatter, plus bloody expensive. Bootstrapped 6 scilabs full of useless engineer types making antimatter at the runway (microwave receiver turned waaay down to avoid being cooked by nearby mess of fusion reactors transmitting power to the universe) into a quick collector station in kerbin van allen belts to get me started, then lobbed an antimatter reactor and a few collectors to jool, 50+ GW microwave power online. Sent over some relays and payloads for various jool missions, finished out tech tree mainly by ferrying Sci to a moho orbital scilab. Recovered all my stray kerbals from various missions started playing with unmanned warp drive ships. Didn't want to warp Jeb into interstellar space. Low on cash, so collected the gobs of antimatter that had accumulated around my 2 stations and landed it at ksc for 32,000,000. Now warping around to Sarnus, and various other faraway spots.

My typical ship is just a big plasma, some radiators, microwave receivers, and a payload. I short the radiators a bit for weight, so basically I have to toggle receivers on, I can use plasma thruster to burn for free, then toggle off to avoid overheat. Early on to save cash i would keep a pusher ship with a vista or big plasma in kerbin orbit with a docking port to lob a payload to moho, burn until i had intercept, undock and burn back to kerbin for the next load, saving all the payload dv for the other end. haven't used thermals, tried atilla but burned all my fuel too quickly, magnetic not really as I rarely carry a large reactor, I'm an update behind so haven't tried vasimir yet.

Just wanted to say great job on this mod, I think one of the best parts is that there are lots of ways to play through. This was one of them :)

Yes, KSPI is a late game enabler. It expans your options and there is no single stratagy, that one of the main advantages. Thanks for sharing your story

Edited by FreeThinker

@yafeshan Best trick for going new places is to toss a deactivated big reactor out of kerbin soi with an intercept using on board plasma thrusters with microwave power. Then turn on the reactor (using a tiny molten salt or scraps of microwave power if it's fusion) in the new planet soi, use it to power your capture and circularization burn. Now turn it back off until the next ship enters soi, then fire it up as transmitter. Later antimatter reactors can be parked in van allen belt and left on. Also I find 100GW is often more than you need in a system, even 30 or so is plenty to power most regular stuff if you don't mind a longish burn for big payloads. More than that you have to carry a ton of radiators or turn receivers on for short burns only. Turning down receivers is also helpful, especially the new omni receiver. I found aluminum booster sized up a bit is the only lifter I ever used once I researched it. Hate to say it but it feels a little op. 5 meter with 4 tail fins and a big shroud will literally lift anything I can put together. Of course I only have to reach vacuum with it, then plasma and microwaves finish the orbit for free.

I found aluminum booster sized up a bit is the only lifter I ever used once I researched it. Hate to say it but it feels a little op. 5 meter with 4 tail fins and a big shroud will literally lift anything I can put together. Of course I only have to reach vacuum with it, then plasma and microwaves finish the orbit for free.

Overpowered, how so? Granted the aluminum fuel + liquid oxygen is almost 30% as dense as SolidFuel but it's thrust is 30% lower than a SolidFuel booster. However, it's specific impulse is 50% higher and throttleble, which makes it significantly more effective I guess.

Edited by FreeThinker

[h=2]Version 1.3.6 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4[/h] Released on 2015-08-08

• Fixed Resource harvesting
  • Fixed PebbleBed /Dusty plasma NaN in VAB
  • Reduced PebbleBed/Dusty plasma overheating at low temperature, improving their performance with Thermal nozzle/ turbojet
  • Added additional Wasteheat cooling to Thermal nozzle/ turbojet
  • Added LqdOxygen as propellant for MPD thruster

Overpowered, how so? Granted the aluminum fuel + liquid oxygen is almost 30% as dense as SolidFuel but it's thrust is 30% lower than a SolidFuel booster. However, it's specific impulse is 50% higher and throttleble, which makes it significantly more effective I guess.

I think the dry mass might be a bit light, as actually has a better mass ratio than a plain water tank :). Here are a few comparable boosters tweaked to 1MN thrust:

Hammer SRB: Dry mass: 5t. "Wet" mass: 23t. ISP 170-195s

Kickback SRB: Dry mass: 7.5t. "Wet mass": 39.5t. ISP 195-220s

KSPI hybrid booster: Dry mass: 4t. Wet mass: 43t. ISP 250-285s

SETI-ctt hybrid booster: Dry mass: 6.2t. Wet mass: 23t. ISP 220-240s.

This gives it a bit of that realfuels/RSS kind of feel with huge change in TWR across the burn. It is unlocked later than these others, so the ISP progression seems reasonable.

Edited by bos

Not trying to nitpick, I just literally never needed anything else once I had the alum booster. Tweak scale it up until I have 4k or more dv, strap on some tail fins, and lift. Fuel drains weirdly though if you have more than 1. Doesn't affect performance but lox drains from radials first, even with no fuel lines connected. But all boosters keep firing until main is empty. Maybe alum is like mono?

Freethinker - I think I've fixed my issue with the TTJs: they just seem to require a lot more radiators than before. I see today's update reduced the wasteheat generation, but that seems to be the key to it. Unfortunately I started using the VASIMR engines and I'm having an even more odd problem with them - I have my craft perfectly balanced with CoT through CoM. In vacuum where I don't have aerodynamic stability, my spaceplane will want to pitch up when I apply more than about 50% throttle - so much so that even my advanced hydrazine-powered RCS thrusters (pushing thrusterpower 15 each) can't keep it from pitching up and over. It does not happen with other engines placed in the same way. It does not matter if I have the engine gimbals locked or freed.

My current test craft has VASIMR engines pointed both forward and back. If I have the main rear-firing engines burning, it wants to pitch up. If I have the retro forward-firing engines burning, it wants to pitch down - I suppose it's consistent but it seems like the engines aren't firing "straight" - like there's some kind of offset angle to the way they produce thrust. At least, that's the best way I can describe it.

It also seems that these engines don't draw fuel evenly. If I don't use TAC fuel balancer to balance my hydrazine tanks, the 2 engines will pull fuel at different rates from the tanks on either side of the plane, causing the CoM to shift to one side or another and induce yaw under thrust - this can be solved with the fuel balancer, but the aforementioned pitch issue cannot, as all the tanks are in the same plane as the spaceplane's wings (pardon the pun) and fuel never shifts vertically within the craft.

One more thing - "toggle propellant" seems to do nothing in flight. I thought I heard/saw somewhere that VASIMR engines would work on quantum vacuum, but when I click the 'toggle propellant' button, it'll only let me use hydrazine or liquidfuel - possibly others were I carrying them, but quantum vacuum doesn't seem to show up. Except one time when I forgot to put any antimatter fuel in the craft - that seems like it wouldn't be related, but it did show the ability to toggle quantumvacuum then... so I'm a tad confused by these engines :)

Edited by ss8913
Added bit about the 'toggle propellant'

I think the dry mass might be a bit light, as actually has a better mass ratio than a plain water tank :). Here are a few comparable boosters tweaked to 1MN thrust:

Hammer SRB: Dry mass: 5t. "Wet" mass: 23t. ISP 170-195s

Kickback SRB: Dry mass: 7.5t. "Wet mass": 39.5t. ISP 195-220s

KSPI hybrid booster: Dry mass: 4t. Wet mass: 43t. ISP 250-285s

SETI-ctt hybrid booster: Dry mass: 6.2t. Wet mass: 23t. ISP 220-240s.

This gives it a bit of that realfuels/RSS kind of feel with huge change in TWR across the burn. It is unlocked later than these others, so the ISP progression seems reasonable.

Good point, they are too light

In the patches/kspstockthermal.cfg file - some of the radiators at the end of the file have 'upgradedRadiatorTemp' twice, and do not have an upgraded area.

for example, the foldingRadMed, the first one in the file like this has:

upgradedRadiatorTemp = 840
upgradedRadiatorTemp = 1600

EDIT:

Also, the foldingRadLarge seems like the upgraded temp and area values might be reversed, as the upgraded temp is the same as the base temp, while the upgraded area is more than double the base value...

Edited by ABZB

What about making choosable fuels like in Real Fuels?

For example right clicking Thermal engine in VAB would show all fuels, that ir could use.

Also it would be nice if you could have all fuels possible in interstellar tanks, for example stock Xenon.

On unrelated note can you make your engines compatible with Advanced Jet Engines/Engine Solver? These are mods, that RO uses

What about making choosable fuels like in Real Fuels?

For example right clicking Thermal engine in VAB would show all fuels, that ir could use.

Also it would be nice if you could have all fuels possible in interstellar tanks, for example stock Xenon.

On unrelated note can you make your engines compatible with Advanced Jet Engines/Engine Solver? These are mods, that RO uses

I've installed Real Fuels recently, and it's gorgeous. I have no Engine Solver incompatibility problems. Maybe you should specify, what "compatibility" demanded. For me - it would be nice to change techlevel of parts (reactors, engines etc). Engine Solver has dat function for stock engines, that affects cost of the parts and their parameters. It would be nice, but not mandatory, FreeThinker does really awesome job on KSPIE, so I can't ask for more)

Edited by Cosmonauth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.