KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

So I unlocked the atmospheric scoops in my career and noticed that when I was in orbit slightly above the atmosphere that the message "No electric engine available to balance atmospheric drag". A quick peek at the code in ISRUscoop.cs seems to point to this being a feature for scooping in an atmosphere while the ship is on rails/unloaded? I am getting to the ISRU section soon and am trying to educate myself enough to write up documentation for it. If this is an implemented feature how should it work? I see that Plasma thrusters not Attila's are the only valid electric engines here as required by the code, I may need to experiment in sandbox.

Edited by Trolllception

So I unlocked the atmospheric scoops in my career and noticed that when I was in orbit slightly above the atmosphere that the message "No electric engine available to balance atmospheric drag". A quick peek at the code in ISRUscoop.cs seems to point to this being a feature for scooping in an atmosphere while the ship is on rails/unloaded? I am getting to the ISRU section soon and am trying to educate myself enough to write up documentation for it. If this is an implemented feature how should it work? I see that Plasma thrusters not Attila's are the only valid electric engines here as required by the code, I may need to experiment in sandbox.

Well I recently slightly changed the code for this feature. If you can read C# code it will become clear to you.

// verify that an electric or Thermal engine is available with high enough ISP
var highIspEngine = part.vessel.parts.Find(p =>
p.FindModulesImplementing<ElectricEngineControllerFX>().Any(e => e.baseISP > 4200) ||
p.FindModulesImplementing<ThermalNozzleController>().Any(e => e.AttachedReactor.CoreTemperature > 40000));
if (highIspEngine == null)
{
ScreenMessages.PostScreenMessage("No engine available, with high enough ISP and propellant switch ability to compensate for atmospheric drag", 10.0f, ScreenMessageStyle.LOWER_CENTER);
return;
}

The code is part of a feature is called a Propulsive fluid accumulator. This particular code is to ensure you got either an electric engines or thermal engine capable of 4200 Isp. The High Isp is required to be used as a propellant to keep the vessel in orbit.

Besides this requirement, there are also requirements for the eccentricity of the orbit (<0.1) and altitude (above atmosphere, below high space)

Regarding creating new documentation, notice I added a new section after installation on the first page, which includes a link to the KSPI-E Beginers Guide and KSPI-E Wiki. I think we need to integrate with each-other and make the whole wiki the best source for all KSPI-E knowledge

Edited by FreeThinker

Well I recently slightly changde the code for this feature. If you can read C# code it will become clear to you.

// verify that an electric or Thermal engine is available with high enough ISP
var highIspEngine = part.vessel.parts.Find(p =>
p.FindModulesImplementing<ElectricEngineControllerFX>().Any(e => e.baseISP > 4200) ||
p.FindModulesImplementing<ThermalNozzleController>().Any(e => e.AttachedReactor.CoreTemperature > 40000));
if (highIspEngine == null)
{
ScreenMessages.PostScreenMessage("No engine available, with high enough ISP and propellant switch ability to compensate for atmospheric drag", 10.0f, ScreenMessageStyle.LOWER_CENTER);
return;
}

The code is part of a feature is called a Propulsive fluid accumulator. This particular code is to ensure you got either an electric engines or thermal engine capable of 4200 Isp. The High Isp is required to be used as a propellant to keep the vessel in orbit.

Besides this rrquirement, there are also requirements for the eccentricity of the orbit (<0.1) and altitude (above atmosphere, below high space)

Regarding creating new documentation, notice I added a new section after installation on the first page, which includes a link to the KSPI-E Beginers Guide and KSPI-E Wiki. I think we need to integrate with each-other and make the whole wiki the best source for all KSPI-E knowledge

I am fairly proficient in Powershell and use .NET reflection to tie into some c# classes but haven't written any native c# code myself yet. That being said I can follow most of the code but simply don't have the knowledge of how enough of the components tie together yet to really make sense of it. I hope to get my visual studio build up when KSP 1.1 (need 64-bit in Windows) is released along with my 3ds max install to help improve the mod. I think alot of the models in KSP are within my skillset but I struggle with effective texturing but luckily alot of models are simply PBR shaders from what I can tell. All in due time. A couple of early goals I have are to improve the floatcurves used for atmospheric flight (thermal turbojet) and improving the delta-v calculation in the VAB/SPH.

I agree with the integration portion and my documentation is being written with the intention of it being used as normal KSPI-E documentation. I have been busy at work this week but hope to finish up everything except the tutorials by the end of the weekend. I will send you a PM once I have finished up the documentation for a final review and then we can discuss specifics of setting up a wiki etc.

A couple of early goals I have are to improve the floatcurves used for atmospheric flight (thermal turbojet) and improving the delta-v calculation in the VAB/SPH.

Yes, float curves clearly need improvement. For the new VTOL Engine, I intend to create a new part from scratch, where I can apply all the new lessons I leaned creating the ElectricRCS and past engines experience. This part should be reliable enough to allow other mods like MechJeb to use it for landing and VTOL. Perhaps eventually, it can replace the existing electric engine. But I like to take things one step at the time.

Hi all,

I am trying Interstellar for the first time, and I added the mod using CKAN to an existing (and modded) installation and started a new career game.

I see the ISP tech tree, but I am concerned that there is something amiss:

Under the new nodes for 'Enhanced Survivability [sic]' and 'Recycling Storage Technology' there are no new items to be gained. Is this as it should be? I was thinking that they may be place-holders or some such thing.

I do see other items, like the expanded nuclear items, etc. so I am uncertain as to what the issue, if there is one, may be.

Regards,

Hi all,

I am trying Interstellar for the first time, and I added the mod using CKAN to an existing (and modded) installation and started a new career game.

I see the ISP tech tree, but I am concerned that there is something amiss:

Under the new nodes for 'Enhanced Survivability [sic]' and 'Recycling Storage Technology' there are no new items to be gained. Is this as it should be? I was thinking that they may be place-holders or some such thing.

I do see other items, like the expanded nuclear items, etc. so I am uncertain as to what the issue, if there is one, may be.

Regards,

Well you could remove CommunityTechTree and it should still work. It is currently listed on CKAN as suggested, but it not required. I will remove it from CKAN config file

Under the new nodes for 'Enhanced Survivability [sic]' and 'Recycling Storage Technology' there are no new items to be gained. Is this as it should be?

Yes, this is as it should be. Community Tech Tree is a separate mod created as an architecture for many mods to plug their mod parts in reasonable places, while having a more challenging career (it's several thousand more science points to unlock everything). KSP-I doesn't use all of these nodes. I have a mod list stacked to the sky which use CTT, and I still have a couple of empty nodes.

- - - Updated - - -

Well you could remove CommunityTechTree and it should still work. It is currently listed on CKAN as suggested, but it not required. I will remove it from CKAN config file

I think leaving it as a "suggested" or "recommended" mod on the CKAN config file is a good idea. Answering a question or two here is better than not letting people know this mod goes hand-in-hand with KSP-I rather well.

I'm getting notified about KSPI updates but I don't recall ever telling it to do so. Can this be switched to opt-in please? Or do I just need to edit a config and make sure I don't overwrite it when I do updates?

I switched it off in the xml file

Edited by Gaiiden

That's a good idea. In the beginning of my 1.04 save, I installed the CTT and still had those empty nodes. Without it it's much better.

It's removed from KSPI-E CKAN now. So no more complains about empty nodes!:wink:

Edited by FreeThinker

Great! I don't use CTT from a long time now, but some newbie could fall in trouble otherwise.

A little suggestion/request, if you think it'll be doable and if you're interested: inflatable fuel tanks. With the ability to scoop or mine a lot of resources in Interstellar, often happens to depart with a empty tank, for scooped/mined resources. Having some inflatable fuel tanks, like the radial spheric ones, would be incredibly useful in many many situations or projects. What do you think about?

Really interesting...

Yes p-B11 Fusion fusion is like the lead free economy class kind of fuel of Fusion. It will not produce a lot of power, but it is cheap and clean, meaning it's ideal for long duration standby power that will not damage your reactor by neutrons

Working on unlocking the galaxy

fFGm4ex.png

Notice the Orbital speed, it's going about 0.05% of light speed after 1 year travel at 4x 174N @ 981126s

This is just a lousy start, I challenge everyone to go faster than this without FTL engines:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.4.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-26

• Added ability of Magnetic Nozzle engine to accelerate up to relativistic speed at time warp, enabling travel to nearby stars in the Galactic neighborhood within a few years

Edited by FreeThinker

Working on unlocking the galaxy

http://i.imgur.com/fFGm4ex.png

Notice the Orbital speed, it's going about 0.05% of light speed after 1 year travel at 4x 174N @ 981126s

This is just a lousy start, I challenge everyone to go faster than this without FTL engines:cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Version 1.4.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-08-26

• Added ability of Magnetic Nozzle engine to accelerate up to relativistic speed at time warp, enabling travel to nearby stars in the Galactic neighborhood within a few years

So does this unlock the ability to thrust while on rails warp?

So does this unlock the ability to thrust while on rails warp?

Yes it does, but notice it will not work it you use it if thrust is to high, the KSP engine prevents it, and it won't work when the vessel is inactive, so you still will have to be around. To maximize Isp (and therefore fuel consumption) you should lower thrust to 10%. I challenge anyone to race to a nearby star in minimum amount of time.

Edited by FreeThinker

Great! I don't use CTT from a long time now, but some newbie could fall in trouble otherwise.

A little suggestion/request, if you think it'll be doable and if you're interested: inflatable fuel tanks. With the ability to scoop or mine a lot of resources in Interstellar, often happens to depart with a empty tank, for scooped/mined resources. Having some inflatable fuel tanks, like the radial spheric ones, would be incredibly useful in many many situations or projects. What do you think about?

Of course I would add it, but where to get the model? I once saw someone had made in inflatable tank, but could find it any,ore :(

Edited by FreeThinker

There are some inflatable models here and there. I'll look for something useful.

Edit: nothing, I just found that RoverDude's OKS has some really interesting parts and his license admits redistribution and modifications.

Edited by Nansuchao

There are some inflatable models here and there. I'll look for something useful.

Edit: nothing, I just found that RoverDude's OKS has some really interesting parts and his license admits redistribution and modifications.

Yes, but aren't those inline midels? at most the will lower part count and allow larger amount of fuel to be launched

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.