KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Aphyx said:

Hi Everybody,

i noticed a Problem with Interstellar Extended Fueltanks when they are changed in size. They seem to be physically fixed in the space and not able to move by any acceleration.

I would provide an image to demonstrate the behaviour, but as this i my first post with a new generated account, i'm not able to upload an image before my accound is approved by a moderator.

Best regards

Aphyx

Sorry but I don't understand what you mean by physically fixed in the space. Are you refering to it's behaviour in the VAB or while in flight?

I made a Screenshot of the issue:

Screenshot_2016_04_22_12_49_20.png

I just configured a mk2 cockpit with two interstellar fuel tanks x24 scaled down to 1.875 diameter. 

The stability enhancers are disconnected, but the object stays in place and just rotates. 

This happens for every configuration where i am using insterstellar fuel tanks with a diameter of 1.875.

With a bigger size, it is not happening. 

Best regards

51 minutes ago, Aphyx said:

I made a Screenshot of the issue:

Screenshot_2016_04_22_12_49_20.png

I just configured a mk2 cockpit with two interstellar fuel tanks x24 scaled down to 1.875 diameter. 

The stability enhancers are disconnected, but the object stays in place and just rotates. 

This happens for every configuration where i am using insterstellar fuel tanks with a diameter of 1.875.

With a bigger size, it is not happening. 

Best regards

This is just weird. I would like to know if anyone can reproduce this . Also, do you see any exception in the log? I highly suspect something isn't installed correctly.

Edited by FreeThinker

18 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

The picture is not very clear. Exactly what am I looking at? I would like to see if I can reproduce this . Also, do you see any exception in the log

Thank you for your reply.

The log isn't showing any exceptions.

I made two new, more clear Screenshots for you, to reproduce the issue.

The first one shows the setup to reproduce:

Screenshot_2016_04_22_14_38_25.png

You just need a lander pod, a 1.250m Interstellar Fuel Tank 48 (sorry, 1.875 was wrong, it's 1.250m) and two stability enhancers.

Once you release the stability enhancers. The construction won't fall down to the ground. It just rotates and flips around, just like it is fixed by something near it's center of mass:

Screenshot_2016_04_22_14_39_15.png

Best regards

Edited by Aphyx

23 minutes ago, Aphyx said:

You just need a lander pod, a 1.250m Interstellar Fuel Tank 48 (sorry, 1.875 was wrong, it's 1.250m) and two stability enhancers.

Once you release the stability enhancers. The construction won't fall down to the ground. It just rotates and flips around, just like it is fixed by something near it's center of mass:

Best regards

I Highly suspect this is a tweakscale issue.

Thanks for your quick posts @FreeThinker and @MaxRebo

I will give it a shot, I did not know that. However, I already looked at all tech tree nodes and saw absolutely nothing for uranium storage, I don't know how  expected to store it for later..I'm glad to learn I probably won't need it for quite some time though.

I read on the github that if you do an install of KSPI-E on a save that already exists then you'll likely end up with nodes that don't even exist for you and will miss out on parts/technology. Is this still the case?

I also see a post above saying he has empty nodes, but is told they aren't actually empty, but contain technology upgrades. Well I don't have any empty nodes, but I also use the Hide Empty Tech Nodes mod (for CTT)... Am I missing out on both 'empty' nodes and nodes that simply didn't generate for me because I installed this on an already existing save?

4 hours ago, Aphyx said:

[snip]

I can reproduce this as well. Also causes DeepFreeze to go crazy in the logs, as if the vessel tree is constantly being updated.

_____

48 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

I will give it a shot, I did not know that. However, I already looked at all tech tree nodes and saw absolutely nothing for uranium storage

It's the absolute topmost node in the CTT, sitting right above the nuclear subtree, branching out from "Nuclear Power". And it definitely has a storage tank for Enriched Uranium:

Spoiler

HOxTkM3.jpg

48 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

Well I don't have any empty nodes, but I also use the Hide Empty Tech Nodes mod (for CTT)...

This might be a bit of a problem. As far as I understand it, those nodes are truly empty as far as KSP is concerned, and KSPI checks if they're unlocked on-the-fly when a vessel is active, and applies the appropriate upgrades to its part modules.

I don't know how Hide Empty Tech Nodes operates, but if it really physically removes the nodes then you'll miss out. I'd try (1) removing both Hide Empty Nodes and CTT, then (2) loading a save with CTT removed, then (3) saving again. Then (4) re-install CTT and (5) load that save with CTT installed. Making a backup of your saves first should go without saying :wink:

/edit

It might be worth first trying the above without steps (2) and (3). Especially if Hide Empty Tech Nodes operates solely through Module Manager patches.

BTW, my preferred way of dealing with empty nodes is making sure every single one is filled with something instead :P

Edited by MaxRebo

@MaxRebo

Thanks again, I'll give these steps a try when I have time to fire my laptop up. I knew something had to be wrong..it couldn't possibly be me!

My tech tree looks identical to yours (from memory), but none of the nodes have no parts in them. So where are these empty part nodes?

Also, I know for a fact I don't have those parts available in my tech tree.

Edited by KocLobster

4 minutes ago, KocLobster said:

My tech tree looks identical to yours (from memory), but none of the nodes have no parts in them. So where are these empty part nodes?

Do you mean in my tech tree? Well, as I just sneakily edited in, I keep installing mods until there's something in every node... so of course I have none :wink:

If you don't have those parts then it's most likely an install issue.

Edited by MaxRebo

1 hour ago, KocLobster said:

@FreeThinker@MaxRebo

I read on the github that if you do an install of KSPI-E on a save that already exists then you'll likely end up with nodes that don't even exist for you and will miss out on parts/technology. Is this still the case?Ш

Well that might have been true one year ago, before when KSPI used Tech Manager and CTT did not exist, but now it no longer applies. KSPI-E will automatically add all CTT technodes it needs or disables this functionality if CTT is installed. So if you want to minimise empty technodes, don't install CTT !!

5 hours ago, Aphyx said:

Best regards

I reproduced the problem and I see a not of Exceptions generated by KER, but even if I remove KER, it is still floating

Edited by FreeThinker

No, I meant my tech tree has no empty part nodes. Yet it looks identical to yours. So maybe the Hide Empty nodes mod isn't a culprit.

On the other hand, I'm not an idiot, and I know for a fact that none of my nodes have those parts in them that yours does.

39 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well that might have been true one year ago, before when KSPI used Tech Manager and CTT did not exist, but now it no longer applies. KSPI-E will automatically add all CTT technodes it needs or disables this functionality if CTT is installed. So if you want to minimise empty technodes, don't install CTT !!

Well then I really don't know what the problem is.

2 hours ago, Nansuchao said:

@FreeThinker did you add antigravity as a new feature without say to the players? :D

As strange as it may sound, it appears I have actually found a method to create anti gravity, however, it has some nasty side effects like infinite inertia. Any way, the problem was indeed in IFS  and I'm looking for a good solution

Edit: found the problem. IFS was generating negative mass, which resulted in the Anti-gravity effect and infinite inertia.

Edited by FreeThinker

When i scale the generators, their power output don't scale with it. Doesn't matter if a have a tiny generator or a huge one, always the same output, the Reactors work fine tho.

I'm sure that it's a tweakscale issue, since it still at the 1.0.5 version, gonna post the bug report there to.

Cya, great mod tho xD

You are doing a great job with this mod, maybe you could fix that one too xD.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137736-time-control-update-request-from-105-to-110/

In my opinion, one of the best mod I have ever used.

Edited by Felipe Guimarães

7 minutes ago, Felipe Guimarães said:

When i scale the generators, their power output don't scale with it. Doesn't matter if a have a tiny generator or a huge one, always the same output, the Reactors work fine tho.

I'm sure that it's a tweakscale issue, since it still at the 1.0.5 version, gonna post the bug report there to.

Cya, great mod tho xD

No it's not a tweakscale issue, but a feature. The Mass of the generator is supposed linked to the Power output of the reactor. This is nessesary, make Magnetic Fusion Reactor, which have low power density, useful (otherwise their overall mass including generator would become too high

\(*o*)/

7 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Alright, I uploaded a new update for IFS which fixes an issue in 1.21 with caused IFS to generate negative mass, which would result in anti gravity effect, making your rocket float away from Kerbin. The new version can be downloaded from here

\(*o*)/

Have you notice that I edited my last post?

46 minutes ago, Felipe Guimarães said:

You are doing a great job with this mod, maybe you could fix that one too xD.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/137736-time-control-update-request-from-105-to-110/

In my opinion, one of the best mod I have ever used.

Good suggestion, it will be very useful for KSP when using Ultra High ISP engines like the magnetic nozzle

Edited by FreeThinker

Hi, I love this mod, few issues:

1) Two Closed Cycle Turbojets on the same vessel have different thrusts, fuel flows and ISPs. Adding separate intake to each engine makes no difference.

2) Despite the description, engine needs some kind of an external intake. Without it I can't select atmospheric as a next/previous propellant.

3) Next/previous propellant doesn't work in SPH/VAB. In 1.0.5 we could see the dV of different propellants.

4) Switch mode in SPH/VAB only works one way, there's no going back from Plutonium TWR, aside from deleting the engine and re-attach it.

Stock + KSPI-E, no other mods.

asymethric.png

Edited by kokospl

22 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Could anyone verify?

I made a save backup, and reinstalled the game.

Found out that the USI Kolonization also use the “CommunityResourcePack”, so I must have screwed things up when I deleted the old FSI files, since I have not add the kolonization files after that.

Now  the game is working just fine, xD

8 minutes ago, Felipe Guimarães said:

I made a save backup, and reinstalled the game.

Found out that the USI Kolonization also use the “CommunityResourcePack”, so I must have screwed things up when I deleted the old FSI files, since I have not add the kolonization files after that.

Now  the game is working just fine, xD

Actually, it isn't working, after reopening ksp, the crash came back

Edited by Felipe Guimarães

I'm pretty sure there is something wrong with your KSP installation

1 hour ago, kokospl said:

Hi, I love this mod, few issues:

1) Two Closed Cycle Turbojets on the same vessel have different thrusts, fuel flows and ISPs. Adding separate intake to each engine makes no difference.

2) Despite the description, engine needs some kind of an external intake. Without it I can't select atmospheric as a next/previous propellant.

3) Next/previous propellant doesn't work in SPH/VAB. In 1.0.5 we could see the dV of different propellants.

4) Switch mode in SPH/VAB only works one way, there's no going back from Plutonium TWR, aside from deleting the engine and re-attach it.

Stock + KSPI-E, no other mods.

asymethric.png

It almost looks as if the engine is suffocating . What if you add more air intakes? Notice you should add them on the engines , otherwise there will be an air intake imbalance

Edited by FreeThinker

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

It almost looks as if the engine is suffocating . What if you add more air intakes? Notice you should add them on the engines , otherwise there will be an air intake imbalance

I tried that already, adding separate intake on each of the engines made no difference, neither did removing the central intake.

At 50% throttle I limited the thrust on the "stronger" engine to the point where both were putting almost the same thrust. Throtling down made it much weaker than the other, while throtling to 100% made it more powerfull anyway, so it seams the issue is not linear.

Edited by kokospl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.