KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

On 31-7-2016 at 1:00 PM, Fairin said:

can we have a "wing" that is also a microwave reciever, or panels flat on the hull. ie. thermal reciever, this giant sphere is making my ssto look silly.

also what am i doing wrong with the open core gas reactor, i got it in a stable orbit around kerbin but its only generating around 500mw of power, which is less than the molten salt at first start through atmo. just cant get the reactor to produce energy ><

Oh, by the way, I have some plans to make beamed power function with any solar panel, their recieval power will just be very limited (up to 10x Panel normal power). It should be enough if you wish to power your vesels in deep space by solar panels. It is intended for early use of beamed power, which is technically an artificial sun that send it's light in a narrow beam

Edited by FreeThinker

25 minutes ago, MonoLyth said:

On further testing with the Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor it's buoyancy effect starts @ 0.5g and throttles reactor to 0.1% @ 1g. Free Thinker has pointed out though that it is not meant as power generation anymore.

Indeed, just try to imagine how it can conitiniously turn a 50000K plasma stream into electrical power without melting and lossing any propellant for extended hours. The only thing I couls think of is to run at a low throtle and convert the residual heat into power.. A Fusion reactor technically is a lot havier but it can be maintained because of the strong magnetic fields and the presure isn't high. The Gas core reactor cannot use use Magnetic containment field because it operates at much higher presure. The high presure translates into mucher power densities compaired the Fusion power

Edited by FreeThinker

On 27-7-2016 at 8:55 PM, Winebars said:
  • Colliding beam fusion reactor doesn't work with the thermal generator

The colliding beam reactor doesn't need a thermal generator, it's has a build in charged particle direct energy converter  allowing high efficient power generation with minimum wasteheat. In this sence it's like the Fusion version of the Molten Salt Reactor which has an integrated thermal electric generator

Still I agree a produces a little too little, so I'm going to improve powe output by 33%

Edited by FreeThinker

9 minutes ago, raxo2222 said:

I created insane craft containing all engines and reactors of 1.9.9 KSPI mod.

http://imgur.com/a/aCXYQ

http://www10.zippyshare.com/v/dmh9IuEC/file.html

Its laggy :P

Edit: its 90% pure KSPI craft - only other mod involved is Procedual Fairing - it adds engine multiadapter.

Beautiful!!!

What is its purpose?

On 7/30/2016 at 8:12 PM, FreeThinker said:

Version 1.9.9 for Kerbal Space Program 1.1.3

Released on 2016-07-30

• Improved Realism Daedalus Fusion Engine, acceleration and Isp are correctly affected by Relativity (thanks to @Boris-Barboris )
  • Improved Control Daedalus Fusion Engine, added Fuel and Light-speed limiter
  • Added Liquidfuel and LFO to Interstellar Liquid FuelTanks with Stock mass ratio's
  • Balance: Reduced Power output Dusty Plasma Reactor, which was too powerful compared with other reactors
  • Fixed issues with Real Plume
  • Fixed issue with Realism Overhaul

Having an issue with the part SmallFNGenerator not loading. Any suggestions?

Looks like Proton - Lithium 7 fusion is best mode (most power produced) for Beam Fusion reactor (that one with built in charged particles reactor)

LZJi0YK.jpg

Its most energetic node.

On unrelated note can we have list of how much ton of each resource cost?

List would be sorted by cost per ton.

Edit: VASMIR gets modest TWR and over 200 000 m/s of DV from this reactor.

http://imgur.com/a/BBdJl

Edited by raxo2222

16 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Are you using the microwave Transmitter part?

The hexagonal thing that has a texture sorta like a solar panel? Yes

Edit: Yes, I've tried re-installing. Yes, I've tried other versions of KSP. Yes, I've tried an unmodded install. Yes, I've made sure I have sufficient electric charge and megajoules. Yes, the panels had sufficient sun exposure. Yes, I can re-create the bug. No, nothing on the surface is receiving power

Edited by Fireheart318

13 hours ago, Fairin said:

just unlocked the tri alpha colliding beam fusion reactor, im a little underwhelmed by the 341 mw of power it generates, thats like... 5 candle engines? (default size)

there is a USI colony part called a microwave power tranceiver that is for ground level bases to share power. not beamed power from kspie (looks like a box with a rod on top with a circle ontop of that.)

I don't have that mod

Edited by Fireheart318

I'm trying to build a nuclear powered aircraft but when I set the thermal turbojet to use atmospheric mode I get almost no thrust (0-0.5KN).

It's connected up to the reactor properly as other propellants work as expected, its just atmospheric mode that doesn't.

Anyone know why?

Thanks.

Edit//

Test craft to show what I mean:

Atmo:

QaSfo8t.png

Water:

omXOGKp.png

Edited by s20dan
added pics

7 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

The hexagonal thing that has a texture sorta like a solar panel? Yes

That's a bit too vague. I mean the Microwave Transmitter part at the top of this vessel:

MwGSD0R.png

Edited by FreeThinker

On 2-8-2016 at 10:30 PM, raxo2222 said:

Looks like Proton - Lithium 7 fusion is best mode (most power produced) for Beam Fusion reactor (that one with built in charged particles reactor)

LZJi0YK.jpg

Its most energetic node.

On unrelated note can we have list of how much ton of each resource cost?

List would be sorted by cost per ton.

No need realy, p-Li7 produces more energy both in maximum power, total energy and is cheaper than p-B11, p-B11 is just easier to achieve and require less power to maintain

Edited by FreeThinker

1 hour ago, Fireheart318 said:

It's grey and smaller

Well the gray part is currently only capable of recieving

I understand there some confusion here because it is not instantly clear what is a transmitter and what isn't. Currently only the above model is capable of transmiting (and transieving) all other are recievers, but I plan to change this.

Hopefully I can somehow get acces to a realisitc looking  Laser/Microwave transmitter model which will instantly be recornizable as a trasnmitter, and not something that can do both

Also other phased array models will be configured to act as transsievers, this will make them usefull to act as relays. Note that currenlty the size of the transmitter has no effect on the efficiency of transmission, this will change. Expect to require a Large phased array in a low orbit and for deep speed activities, you require a second transmitter to convert the signal from microwave into urltaviolet.

Edited by FreeThinker

10 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

No need realy, p-Li7 produces more energy both in maximum power, total energy and is cheaper than p-B11, p-B11 is just easier to achieve and require more power to maintain

I said, that next question is completely unrelated to previous one.

Resource cost list has nothing to do with VASMIR fusion probe, that I built.

Edit:

QSR reactor has  inconsistent reactions config:

ProduceGlobal is True for Deuterium and Helium, but its False for Hydrogen.

Spoiler

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
    name = SingularityHydrogen
    ReactorType = 256
    GUIName = Hydrogen
    ChargedParticleRatio = 0.95
    FuelEfficiencyMultiplier = 0.05
    NeutronsRatio = 0
    NormalisedReactionRate = 1.0
    NormalisedPowerConsumption = 1.0
    MeVPerChargedProduct = 1.079411

FUEL
    {
        name = LqdHydrogen
        UsagePerMW = 1.0e-14
        Unit = mg
    }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = Antimatter
            ProductionPerMW = 0.0005e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = False
        }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            ProductionPerMW = 0.95e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = False
        }
}

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
    name = SingularityDeuterium
    ReactorType = 256
    GUIName = Deuterium
    ChargedParticleRatio = 0.67175
    FuelEfficiencyMultiplier = 0.32825
    NeutronsRatio = 0

FUEL
    {
        name = LqdDeuterium
        UsagePerMW = 1.4142e-14
        Unit = mg
    }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = Antimatter
            ProductionPerMW = 0.0032825e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = True
        }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = LqdDeuterium
            ProductionPerMW = 0.94999e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = True
        }
}

REACTOR_FUEL_MODE
{
    name = SingularityHelium
    ReactorType = 256
    GUIName = Helium
    ChargedParticleRatio = 0.67175
    FuelEfficiencyMultiplier = 0.32825
    NeutronsRatio = 0

FUEL
    {
        name = LqdHelium
        UsagePerMW = 1.4142e-14
        Unit = mg
    }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = Antimatter
            ProductionPerMW = 0.0032825e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = True
        }
       PRODUCT
        {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            ProductionPerMW = 0.94999e-14
            Unit = L
        produceGlobal = True
        }
}

This nuclear powered bird reaches 6 mach.

Is it possible to fly faster using air only?

9mdbDIs.jpg

I can fly in mesosphere at 5 mach.

http://imgur.com/a/kyZYr

Edited by raxo2222

I've noticed that when upgrading to the latest (1.9.9) version that some of my craft on load were removed as "KSPIELightBuldMk2" part was not found.  On checking "GameData\WarpPlugin\Parts\Engines\LightBulb" and comparing against an older version I've noticed that the 2 files LightBulbMk2.cfg and LightBulbMk3.cfg were both 0bytes whereas in older versions they were 8kb.

I'm not sure what happened but copying the files across from an older version seemed to fix the problem.

On 8/2/2016 at 11:26 AM, FreeThinker said:

Indeed , but I think an electronic sail would be more mass effective, we just need a lot of power, which we have plenty off. I just need a part model that could spread a few teters 1 Km in each direction . Technically a antanna with exteme lenth

And how are you going to ionize the interstellar hydrogen atoms, so the electromagnetic field works on them?

using microwave power + an upscaled to 2.5m plasma thruster running atmo will go much, much faster than that up to 35km (where the air runs out) my current record on my ssto starts loosing parts around 2400m/s

my current "lifter" however uses nitrogen powered plasma engines (it counts as air right?) with 4 attached scoops it does not run out of fuel under 35k (and thrusts much MUCH harder than using atmo (around 8k thrust for around 30 tons of weight)

11 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Well the gray part is currently only capable of recieving

I understand there some confusion here because it is not instantly clear what is a transmitter and what isn't. Currently only the above model is capable of transmiting (and transieving) all other are recievers, but I plan to change this.

Hopefully I can somehow get acces to a realisitc looking  Laser/Microwave transmitter model which will instantly be recornizable as a trasnmitter, and not something that can do both

Also other phased array models will be configured to act as transsievers, this will make them usefull to act as relays. Note that currenlty the size of the transmitter has no effect on the efficiency of transmission, this will change. Expect to require a Large phased array in a low orbit and for deep speed activities, you require a second transmitter to convert the signal from microwave into urltaviolet.

But there are no options on the gray one. Shouldn't it be possible to toggle reception in case something goes to excrements with a probe and you need to kill it at any cost or it'll blow up your space station? The big, folded one is the transmitter, right? I love the mod but the main reason I downloaded it in the first place is for the beamed power - it helps with ion probes and Kerbal Foundries (not up to date) hovercraft. I can see myself adding a transmitter to my space stations and in keostationary orbit to power my rovers, stockprops, and other things.

Edited by Fireheart318

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.