KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

If you truly want to optimise your Isp for lauch, use Thermal TurboJet. When coupled with AntiMatter reactor, it generates enough power to shoot you straight to another planet without any propellant. The only problem will be the aiming as you will travel at 10 times the speed of sound though the atmosphere.

;^)

So this is like: Thermal Turbojet for launching from Earth/Eve, Quantum Vacuum for entering/exiting orbits, Magnetic Nozzlee for landing/launching from airless bodies and slowing down after warp and warp drive for interplanetary cruises, right?

Here is magnetic nozzle rocket:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It weights 280 tons. Antimatter reactor weights nice 128 tons :P

dclXPcN.jpg

I used this vessel to launch strait to Moho, without any propellant.

This vessel has technically enough delta V to travel to a neighboring Solar System and back

- - - Updated - - -

;^)

So this is like: Thermal Turbojet for launching from Earth/Eve, Quantum Vacuum for entering/exiting orbits, Magnetic Nozzlee for landing/launching from airless bodies and slowing down after warp and warp drive for interplanetary cruises, right?

Yes, they all have their strength and weaknesses. Note that plasma engines have 1 other big asvantage and that is they can be used in combination with Microwave transmission. Thermal engines should not be forgotten as well as they provice the most efficient power possible, they can use all power availbe in a reactor, opposed to only a percentage. This is especially useful when landing. on an airless mun

Edited by FreeThinker

A single 2.5m thermal turbojet powered by a similarly sized antimatter reactor can push over 3000 MN of thrust - that's enough for a total payload capacity of 3000t :) Using water as fuel. Might do better on other fuels.

Speaking of fuels, is there any downside to hydrazine other than the EPA warning? :) I like to yell at the kerbals on the ground and say, "I've got a giant antimatter reactor running here inside the atmosphere and *hydrazine* is what you object to??" :)

- - - Updated - - -

and yeah, the thermal turbojet (upgraded) is probably THE most useful engine in KSP. That's why I was so frustrated with that overheat thing - literally every craft I have built is powered by these engines and Jeb was getting tired of parachuting home :P

Hi, Greate work with to mod.

Today i got opened op kps, got a message informing me of a new update. Ofcause i downloaded it straight away and installed before continuing with the game, now my game has become very unstable and crashes nearly every 5-10 min.

I was just wundering if any of you guys have had problems or it is just my combination of mods?

Hi, Greate work with to mod.

Today i got opened op kps, got a message informing me of a new update. Ofcause i downloaded it straight away and installed before continuing with the game, now my game has become very unstable and crashes nearly every 5-10 min.

I was just wundering if any of you guys have had problems or it is just my combination of mods?

Check KSP memory usage, most likely you run out of memory. KSP can only use 3.8 GB as it's a 32 bit application.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there any way to get just the microwave power systems alone? I have the standalone FTL by Roverdude, and I would like to make an orbital power station for a mun-Base. Or several.

Simply prune all parts that you don't want.

Hydrazine is best fuel for thermal turbojet - got 70km/s of delta-v. And it doesn't produce soot.

BTW soot production seems to be independent from throttle >.>

5 meter rocket.

1.25 meter rocket. 2x less DV.

Edited by raxo2222

I added water for 30k more delta v ;)

So looks like thermals are good for setting up antimatter factories with their TWR.

What does arc-jet do? I will get more delta-v than thermal turbojet? Edit way less DV and way more thrust. It destroyed small (1.25m) rocket and couldn't get 5k d/v for large rocket (5m).

Edit: these rockets would be better with realism overhaul as tens km/s delta-v is possible here :P

Are all things that I found out like CO2/Ammonia/Hydrazine best for plasma thrusters and same hydrazine best for thermal engines regardless upgrades and reactors? Or different stuff is better at lower tech and weaker reactors?

Edit: I redesigned my rocket. Now I have 70km/s of delta-v from hydrazine (around 770 ton, while entire rocket weights 1300 tons) and 100 km/s delta-v from 120 tons of hydrogen at full throttle of magnetic nozzles. Looks like I shouldn't use nozzles until I don't use all hydrazine :P

I ditched plasma engine as its energy hog. It uses one antimatter reactor and one AIM reactor, which is waay lighter and a thermal generator.

Edited by raxo2222

I added water for 30k more delta v ;)

Are all things that I found out like CO2/Ammonia/Hydrazine best for plasma thrusters and same hydrazine best for thermal engines regardless upgrades and reactors? Or different stuff is better at lower tech and weaker reactors?

The ArcJet are mainly good mid game, when you don't have access to the Giga watts produces by the antimatter. The Arj Jet technically works like an djustable Thermal Noozle on electric power. This makes it very suitable for launcher or landers on microwave power.

Guys you're awesome. I play Interstellar from the beginning, never pushed it in a so extreme way, never thought to building something so... Completely unrealistic! Congratulations...

Well I used antimatter reactors. If I used nuclear reactors I would have to make smaller rockets :P

That's probably the point. In Science or Career Mode, you'll "almost" never alle to use Antimatter Reactor in this way, due to the difficulty of A/M harvesting. So usually i use AIM at the end of a Career, and maybe a single A/M reactor for a Warp Mothership just for Warp reasons. Then usually a new version of KSP is released, and I re-start from the beginning.

In sandbox mode I just tested some design for my career mode, so I never thought about using more and more A/M reactors, cause usually they consume A/M faster than I consume Delta/V.

[h=2]Version 1.1.18 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2[/h] Released on 2015-06-07

• Added Support For HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement: improved Exhaust effect for Vista, Thermal nozzle/turbojet and Electric Engines
  • Reduced tank mass Hydrogen tanks
  • CO2 Soot cleaning is now integrated into CO2 mode, use low thrust to clean soot

If I remember correctly, one of your long term goals for this mod is that it would integrate nicely (presumably be somewhat balanced) with NFT. (And I think one of the features is better integration with NFT). Is that the case now, or still a future goal? If not, and I try to play with NFT now, will they both play nicely with each other (even if not well balanced) or will they try to murder each other?

can anyone tell me what I did wrong with my install? I've been having a lot of trouble making sure I put the folders where they need to go. I seem to be getting random engine sounds, and the effects before i start any stages in launch, and gravity is broken, and there are no stages registered...A very similar thing happens with the infernal robotics mod i installed... its broke :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated! here are my logs...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajyhxbd6za13lxi/KSP.log?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzy7jq8bg04c798/output_log.txt?dl=0

So the newer midsize tanks no longer weigh as much as the LH2 they contain?

Hydrogen tanks are now 1/8 the mass of non Hydrogen tank. (before it was 1/6)

The stack tanks reach a Hydrogen dry/wet ratio of 1:4 while the radial sphere tanks reach a dry/wet ratio of 1:8

- - - Updated - - -

If I remember correctly, one of your long term goals for this mod is that it would integrate nicely (presumably be somewhat balanced) with NFT. (And I think one of the features is better integration with NFT). Is that the case now, or still a future goal? If not, and I try to play with NFT now, will they both play nicely with each other (even if not well balanced) or will they try to murder each other?

Well, I tried my best to integrate with NTF, it' s realy up to Nertea to cooperate for further integration. But his hands are kind of full.

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.1.18 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.2

Released on 2015-06-07

• Added Support For HotRockets! Particle FX Replacement: improved Exhaust effect for Vista, Thermal nozzle/turbojet and Electric Engines
  • Reduced tank mass Hydrogen tanks
  • CO2 Soot cleaning is now integrated into CO2 mode, use low thrust to clean soot

Hi! Your mod looks fantastic but I'm having some trouble with the install... I'm getting random engine sounds and the effects before i start any stages in launch and gravity is broken and there are no stages registered when I use the magnetic nozzle, also the achilese one won't fire for some reason. A very similar thing happens with the infernal robotics parts as well, they fall off, and there is zero g, and the constant sound of a rocket firing...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzy7jq8bg0...t_log.txt?dl=0

Hi! Your mod looks fantastic but I'm having some trouble with the install... I'm getting random engine sounds and the effects before i start any stages in launch and gravity is broken and there are no stages registered when I use the magnetic nozzle, also the achilese one won't fire for some reason. A very similar thing happens with the infernal robotics parts as well, they fall off, and there is zero g, and the constant sound of a rocket firing...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzy7jq8bg0...t_log.txt?dl=0

It appears you have the dreaded NaN problem. It's not KSPI-E fault

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.