[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Hi guys just a quick one, could be a bug or something wrong with my system. When using the AeroProbe 9 or MircoSat, the throttle setting changes to 50% when I click outside of the KSP game window (running in windowed mode on Windows 8). These seem to be the only two parts that do this (the only two RemoteTech Command Pods with engines). The throttle always goes to 50% regardless of its current setting and engine status. It returns to its original value when the KSP window is clicked on again. Any ideas would be most welcome!

Follow up, here is the output_log.txt : http://www./view/?zt4e8gnpju4h3nr

hmm... I don't see any errors caused by RemoteTech. There are a couple of errors in ISA MapSat and MechJeb, but nothing that should cause lag. I think it's an issue with your pc being a bit too slow to handle the amount of data it calculates when you have "list comsats" open. As I previously said, it does a lot of computations to determine which satellites you can contact. That's going to be streamlined quite a bit in the next version of RemoteTech. I've actually just implemented multithreaded relay network calculations, so I'll just merge the contact calculations into the same thread and throttle them down to only running once per second in stead of the ~60 times per second it is now, which in retrospect might be overdoing it a bit :).

Hi guys just a quick one, could be a bug or something wrong with my system. When using the AeroProbe 9 or MircoSat, the throttle setting changes to 50% when I click outside of the KSP game window (running in windowed mode on Windows 8). These seem to be the only two parts that do this (the only two RemoteTech Command Pods with engines). The throttle always goes to 50% regardless of its current setting and engine status. It returns to its original value when the KSP window is clicked on again. Any ideas would be most welcome!

The bug is actually present with any RemoteTech vessel, not just those two. The issue is due to the range of throttle axis; it goes from -1 to 1. What happens when you switch focus from the KSP window, it doesn't get any axis inputs, meaning that it defaults to 0, which is 50 %. I'll look into a fix for this. I just need to find out how to tell if the main game window is focused or not.

Small question, how would you use the new part modules to work with models from other mods that have built in antennas, for example the comm panel in the SpaceTech rover lander system. It has a deployable dish for one of the parts, or the antennas built into the various units in Bobcat's Soviet pack? Can they be used like that or would it need a special animation edit for the part module to itentify the activated/deactivated positions?

I'm also having a bit of a performance problem with the List Comsats panel open. It drops my FPS and the mission time indicator turns yellow. I have what should be a fast computer compared to any reasonable orbit calculation or path finding operation on my 15 or so vessels that have RemoteTech parts. They are currently all in contact with one another, and I have several manned RemoteCommand modules in my network. I cleared my error log just to test this and found that nothing comes up in it, so I suppose it just must be that the line-of-sight calculations or whatever are too slow for the rate they are supposed to run at.

Please release the new version that doesn't try to run contact calculations every frame as soon as is practical. This mod incentivises building big relay networks, but it needs to actually scale to support them in order to be playable.

I'm also having a bit of a performance problem with the List Comsats panel open. It drops my FPS and the mission time indicator turns yellow. I have what should be a fast computer compared to any reasonable orbit calculation or path finding operation on my 15 or so vessels that have RemoteTech parts. They are currently all in contact with one another, and I have several manned RemoteCommand modules in my network. I cleared my error log just to test this and found that nothing comes up in it, so I suppose it just must be that the line-of-sight calculations or whatever are too slow for the rate they are supposed to run at.

Please release the new version that doesn't try to run contact calculations every frame as soon as is practical. This mod incentivises building big relay networks, but it needs to actually scale to support them in order to be playable.

For now I recommend having the "list comsats" menu closed unless you need it. That will get rid of any lag it creates. I won't rush the release too much, since I might as well use this to tweak and fix some other odds and ends. For example I've just fixed the visual bug where the GUI could errornously see the vessel as out of power at high warp rates. I'll also have to test the multithreading implementation to make sure it's not only a lagsbane, but also doesn't create errors.

If one of you has a save file with a lot of RemoteTech vessels that doesn't use many other mods (maybe limit it to MechJeb max) I'd be very thankfull if you could donate it. I have been spending most of my KSP time developing and have yet to build a massive world. If you have one, pm it to me. It could help a lot in testing.

And another thing I've been working on a bit. As you've probably heard Alchemist is currently working on (among other things) tracking dishes that actually rotate towards what you point it at. I've been working with him on RemoteTech compatability and have gotten a bit inspired to make a couple of tracking dishes. Here's a WIP small short-range dish intended to replace the old Probodobodyne dish currently in RemoteTech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYAv4NX2dg

...It seems an "old issue" is back : on an unmanned probe, I can't manage the throttle with my gamepad, keyboard works fine as other gamepads commands...

Odd... Nothing has changed in the way I get axis controls. RemoteTech still gets its axis input through the exact same method as stock and in fact it works just fine with the joystick I use for testing. Are you absolutely sure that the throttle works in non-RemoteTech vessels?

Have you considered modifying the ranges of the dishes? They worked well back when going to the Mun was the big event but these days you need some ridiculously large dishes to go anywhere outside of Kerbol's orbit.

Wondering if you can help, because I've played with this mod several times now before giving up out of frustration. I'd really like to try and get it working, but whatever I do it always ends up with crafts "out of contact".

I've launched an unmanned satellite setup to a geosynchronous orbit above the KSC. It has the RemoteControl Mk1, an Interplanetary class dish and 4x Probobydyne dishes (as well as solar panels and batteries). By attaching the dipole antenna to the first rocket stage, linking one of the dishes to Mission Control, and putting it on a "straight up" ascent path I managed to get it into orbit without losing contact, and it remains in contact (via the dishes as the antenna was ditched). I've also pointed one of the dishes at "Kerbin" (in addition to the one already pointed at Mission Control).

With the same configuration, I aimed to put another on in orbit to one side. So this time I get it into a regular orbit at 200km (as I already have a dish up there), but it never gets a signal from the first satellite. As long as it is directly over the KSC all works fine, but as soon as it goes out of sight of the KSC it goes "out of contact". However, it still has a line of sight with the first satellite (it is only to one side of Kerbin, not behind it) I've tried targeting a dish on the second satellite at the first one. I've also tried targeting a dish on the first one at the second one. Still no contact except with KSC when it is directly over it (never KSC->Sat1->Sat2).

This is the same problem I've had despite several attempts over the last few weeks (some on the 4.* version and this one on the 5.*). I can always get a signal from the KSC to the first satellite I put up, but never a signal from the KSC, to the first and then to another.

Why isn't the first satellite relaying the signal from Mission Control to a second?

An additional question, as I'm trying various mods before I start my game "proper". Will RemoteTech work for interplanetary travel? If I sent a Voyager style probe off into the abyss of space, what kind of satellite setup would I need?

Fourjays , WHY did you ditch the dipole Antenna? KEEP it on the ship (that is like shooting off your left hand).

Your would have succeeded with this project if your Sats had an antenna (dipole) on each one.

It needs antennae. Dishes are for long-range communication and you'll need those if you want to get connection from, say, Kerbin to Mun at the very least. Read the first post. It lists everything you need for a satellite to work.

Your first satellite also needs to aim a dish at the 2nd satellite. You'll have to switch over to the 1st satellite to do this, then back to the 2nd.

Already had them both pointed at each other. :s Second one still got a signal from the KSC only.

Fourjays , WHY did you ditch the dipole Antenna? KEEP it on the ship (that is like shooting off your left hand).

Your would have succeeded with this project if your Sats had an antenna (dipole) on each one.

Because it says you can in the Wiki tutorial (unless this has changed with the new update). As these are tests though I'm not jettisoning them straight away as suggested. Both satellites have had the dipole antenna attached when I'm trying to get them connected up. I've only ditched the antenna stage when it actually seems to be connected (which worked fine with the first satellite).

With (and without) the antenna, the second satellite is still only receiving a signal from KSC. If it goes 90' round from KSC, it loses contact (but given the first satellites position, it is still in sight of it).

I have everything both the first post and the Wiki say I should have.

Wondering if you can help, because I've played with this mod several times now before giving up out of frustration. I'd really like to try and get it working, but whatever I do it always ends up with crafts "out of contact".

...Why isn't the first satellite relaying the signal from Mission Control to a second?

I tend to agree with the other helpfull people that the issue is due to your dishes not being pointed at each other. Another note: when you're in orbit around Kerbin you will not be able to get any kind of connection from a dish that's pointed at kerbin. You'll need to point it directly at a vessel, and have either an omni or a dish pointed back at you on the other end.

For low kerbin communications omnis are really the way to go. They have plenty of range to stay in contact even in kerbosynchronous constellations.

An additional question, as I'm trying various mods before I start my game "proper". Will RemoteTech work for interplanetary travel? If I sent a Voyager style probe off into the abyss of space, what kind of satellite setup would I need?

Indeed it will work. You'll start to really feel the signal delay though. I just sent a probe to Eeloo and the signal delay clocked in as high as 14 minutes. That's when the flight computer comes in really handy.

On the subject of dishes. the low-range target tracking dish is coming along nicely. Pretty much all that's left to do is texturing. Here's a small sneak view of it in-game:

I've really been digging the tiny probes. Any way I can convince you to officially turn on surface attach so we can slap on Mechjeb and lights, a dish, mapper, etc.. I've tried it locally and it works great. One of the MechJeb versions causes some oddness, but one of them works perfectly. I don't have the notes in front of me at the moment. SAS might be a bit too powerful, though. The thing rocks around like crazy.

Turns out pretty cool: Made a tug with 12 deployable probes with dishes. There's another one that I did for mapping, but no pics.

http://imgur.com/a/54ZLe#0

Can you go more in detail with the aeroprobes and the mini probes with the main description? Some aspects are confusing.

I've really been digging the tiny probes. Any way I can convince you to officially turn on surface attach so we can slap on Mechjeb and lights, a dish, mapper, etc.. I've tried it locally and it works great.

I don't think I'll be allowing surface attach out of the box. Since the satellite is so small and light weight I really don't want it to have a dish. For larger dished satellites you'll have to wait. I have a sneaking feeling that something awesome is around the corner ;).

Many things can be added as partModules. If you want the satellite to have MechJeb you can just add the MechJeb PartModule. And the same thing is true for all stock sensors. I'm unsure if ISA MapSat has converted to PartModules though and lights of course won't work unless the part has a light source, which it doesn't.

SAS might be a bit too powerful, though. The thing rocks around like crazy.

I might turn down the SAS values for the part a bit in the next release.

Can you go more in detail with the aeroprobes and the mini probes with the main description? Some aspects are confusing.

That's somewhat of a problem. Especially the AeroProbe does a lot of things and screen space becomes an issue when you both need to display stats from all the partModules on it and a long description. I'll see what I can do to add clarity though.

I dont know about new version but with 0.4 I had same problem with one dish one antena setup. forum was down, spaceport too but after few days I've figured it myself and had to edit one file for it. Because that antena was wrongly set up for 250km instead of 25000 as it said in description. But after Ive fixed it suddeenly I didnt need dishes at all in kerbin system to communicate between satellites.

I dont know about new version but with 0.4 I had same problem with one dish one antena setup. forum was down, spaceport too but after few days I've figured it myself and had to edit one file for it. Because that antena was wrongly set up for 250km instead of 25000 as it said in description. But after Ive fixed it suddeenly I didnt need dishes at all in kerbin system to communicate between satellites.

If you're referring to the bug where the range was different in the VAB than it showed up as in the RT Comms menu, it was just a display bug IIRC, and should match whatever range it gave you in the VAB itself.

Also, I don't know what to tell you other than just try to stick with the omnidirectional antenna. But did you try to point the dish at ship 2 while it was still on the pad and vice versa? Makes things simpler.

Is an i7 920 not strong enough for the calculations ?

Might be time to buy a new mobo&cpu. And gpu.

That should, of course, be plentiful for hardware. If the computer is running other programs fine (.ie it is not a case of a messed up OS or something) this should not be any problem.

Edited by Camacha

Hey thanks for the update. Although I'm not sure if I want to update or not ;) Don't want to loose my save.

But one suggestion: Could you place your changelog somewhere at one place? Its already 7 pages behind.

Fabian

Hi! i read about the actual version breaks the old satellites. But i need to restore it and is impossible to make one to one.

Are there any config that i can change to active my communications again?

EDIT: I try to solve it approaching with a kerbal and.. my network works again :)

Edited by Cuerdas
Problem Solved

Hey thanks for the update. Although I'm not sure if I want to update or not ;) Don't want to loose my save.

But one suggestion: Could you place your changelog somewhere at one place? Its already 7 pages behind.

Fabian

Its not recommended, but I was able to migrate my save over pretty easily. All of the probes did lose contact, and any probe using dishes had them fold up (probably applies to extendable antennas too), however, I was able to use short range antennas to re-establish contact with those probes, since everything I launch has them anyway. Now, the one caveat I noticed is that even once you're in communication range, you still need to manually load/control the probe in order for it to restore its connection and show up in the RemoteTech comsat list. Once you do that, just go back to the tracking station and you should be set.

Again though. None of that is recommended by JDP, but since you're going to lose your save anyway, it may be worth a shot. Just back your save up first.

Just converted my 36 flight save manually to RT 5.0... version i added willactivateonpanic(or smthing) to true to long antenna so i could reestablish the low range sat connections and for far-away probes i edited save to set the pointed at to "Kerbin" and modstate to 1 and range to appropriate, i only had to do so for only one sat in eve's orbit cause others could communicate through it and then to turn on dishes by themselves, also i redeployed the dish i edited in save to reset any wrong values i might left over so i am really happy about that, also as far i saw the new version is great and looks nifty :)

1 minor though.. i noticed increased lag while list comsats window is opened i turned off unfocused control but still..

Thanks JDP :))

Can you tell me how to convert flights to 0.5.0.0 version? My sats dont work at now u.u

screenshot29f.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us