[0.20] RemoteTech: Relay Network – V 0.5.0.1

JDP

Ah. Are you running the probe compatibility pack that adds SPUs to all probe cores? If not, you still need to add an SPU to your craft, so don't delete the SPU parts folder.

When I said delete all dishes and antennae, I meant only those folders, not the SPU folder (or the other folders, if you want access to the aeroprobe, etc)

ok will try again...

I have no idea what's going on, but I can't seem to get it to work. Nathan was kind enough to help me out and I'm just not sure what's wrong.

"Don't cry. It's been said many times before that RT 0.5.0.1 is .21 compatible with the addition of Mr. DBrickShaw's modified RT dll. It fixes the flight computer not working. It can be downloaded from previous posts or GitHub. It is also included in the re-released "MechJeb and RemoteTech for All"."

I guess I will try this route next. So all I need to do is install RT 0.5.0.1, and then install the "MechJeb and RemoteTech for ALL" as well, right?

Edited by rottielover

Hi all !

I would like to use RemoteTech along KOS because of the awesomeness of such a combination so I'm basically wondering how to do this.

I think the right way is for the moment only to start from RT 0.5 and delete the flight computer and the light-speed delay (so that no key-events are captured). The delay could be added to KOS whenever you switch to archive for example. Until any of the mod developers agree on a compatibility chart I think we will have to do this by ourselves as it seems simple to do and many members seem to ask for it also. I think the KOS-delay part is easy (and quite optional actually, the primary aim is to make them Work together), so I'm focusing on the RT0.5 part right now.

I have good skills in C++ programming (so I could learn C# fast I guess, or at least read it) but reading the RemoteTech 0.5 source code didn't give me any clue on what to do (no idea what the KSP SDK looks like (any doc on that by the way ?) and there are almost no comments at all).

So I am asking if anyone would :

1) find me some doc or explain me the basics of the RT code structure

OR

2) know well enough the code to implement a version of RT 0.5 without these features, which doesn't seem hard if the sources are not too dirty.

I think having such a version would lower the urge of a newer version as I didn't find many bugs in 0.5, at least it's playable I mean, and I can't stand having to choose between KOS and RT as they are totally part of my playstyle.

Thanks for reading and see you all in orbit :) .

I updated to Nathan's version of RemoteTech and I'm not sure what I use to replace the Dipole antenna for my satellites. I'm stumbling on setting up a basic network. How many dishes and in what configuration do most people use for a trio of keostationary satellites. How about dish/antenna configuration for a pair of satellites to cover the surface of the Mun or Minmus? I have no trouble putting satellites in orbit where I want them, but I think I'm missing something on the satellite design side.

Hi I have a question about RT1, I dont understand how dishes work: I have a communication satellite in geoshynch orbit with a Remot Tech Macro Dish Sr. that gives me a range of 50Gm that is pointed to a probe that has a Remote Tech Mini Dish Jr. with a range of 50Mn. Both Dishes are pointed at each other but the connection breaks around 50Mm, I would assume that it would go as far as the range of the most powerful dish, is it normal or is it a bug?

Also does the dishes has to be physically pointed at each others or just set up by the menu is enough?

Edited by gwichy

enki, you can just plop the old dipole part back in, though I suggest lowering its range some since range is now additive, not clamped to the weaker. From the RT2 parts, the DF-RD antenna is kinda like it: it can work at any speed and has a megameter range.

Have a look at http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:RemoteTech - it might help?

I guess I'm missing something incredibly obvious. I have a Comm sat set up with 2x 4Mm antenna and 4 dishes capable of 30Gm. There are 3 of these setup in keostationary orbits. When I try launching another I point a dish from each of the keostationary satellites at the one I am sending to the Mun. It points a dish at each of the 3 keostationary satellites. They still show max range of 4Mm regardless of having both antennas deployed or having dishes pointed at anything. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong. How about a screenshot of a proper sat. capable of longer range communication. I think its something simple but I just can't tell what step I'm missing.

Hmm. You're using my DLL; did you enable the new range calculation? It defaults to off. Go to remotetech settings and turn on "use multiple" and "use new range."

Also, when you say "pointed at"...stupid question, but are you targeting the dishes (right click on dish->set target->pick target from list) or just orienting them?

Edited by NathanKell

[...](Formula at the moment is, for nodes with differing max ranges, min_range + sqrt(min_range * max_range), clamped to no more than 100 x min_range for antennae and 1000x min_range for dishes).

[...]

ETA:

Example: a link between a node with 4x3000km antennae (equates to 5.25Mm), and a node with a 20Mm dish pointed at the first node, yields a max range of 15.5Mm. Note that because range is no longer clamped to min of the two nodes', I down-scaled antenna and dish ranges for my parts.

You put 4 antennas on one vessel and you get 5250km (5.25 Mm) out of 4x3000 km. Would you please reply the formula for this value?

Also: I googled it several times and I did not find a proper answer. Does RemoteTech interact with kOS in some way? Like you can program your vessel when you have contact and it performs it's actions even when (RemoteTech) connection is lost?

Thank you in advance for your replies :-P

Hi Nathan, the idea is great but I have lots of troubles trying to get your mod working, I followed carefully the steps you described but I had no luck with it. In the remotetech settings no "use multiple" and "use new range." appears, also the stock antenna communtron 16 and 88-88 both display 2 different ranges and energy req in the VAB, while the RemoteTech RC Antenna displays 3:

v059.png

I am also using MechJeb and Remote Control for All mod so maybe its conflicting somewhere?

EDIT: I tried without MechJeb and Remote Control for All and the double display problem was fixed, but I still have none of the wanted functionality, the range of the antenna is static and do not depend of the number of antenna, the GUI do not show me which node the signal go through and the Settings.cfg file in the Remotetech folder do not display "use multiple" and "use new range." options. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by gwichy

Legnad: the formula for multiple antennae on a single craft is:

longest_range + ((sum_of_all_ranges - longest_range) * 0.25).

gwichy: Hmm. Sounds like install problems. But my install instructions are pretty wonky, so here's a better approach:

Delete EVERYTHING in your RemoteTech folder.

Replace its contents with the Extracted contents of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/16928ut2x37kih8/MyRemoteTech.zip

Things should work then. Note you'll probably have to move the window around some (or via settings reset its coordinates) since I have a big screen.

Is there any way to use (and deploy) the deployable antennas without having remotetech functionality? IE just the aesthetics. I can easily just add the part files but then the antennas are static in their deployed state. I tried replacing the ModuleRTAnimatedAntenna modules with ModuleAnimateGeneric with the name of the animation the same but that doesn't seem to work. eg

MODULE
{
name = ModuleAnimateGeneric
animationName = Default Take
isOneShot = true
}

for the Reflectron Mi-128

Also is it me or are the antennas all dragless? Causes problems maintaining a retrograde attitude when landing in an atmosphere.

Edward

Gwitchy,

"MechJeb & RemoteTech for All" isn't meant to use the RT2 antennae like Nathan's mod requires. I haven't looked at the new part.cfg files in the new antennae to see if the RTAntenna module is the same but I think they are. I believe that the new RT2 uses a .cfg file to insert the RT module using modulemanager.dll on its parts just like mine does, thus being the potential cause for duplicate entries - just the module being defined twice. I thought I'd let a few more of you knock his dll around a bit and see if you all like the alternate behavior of the antenna range stacking before I switched to it.

MJ&RTforAll is still an easy way to get .21 compatibility with the original RemoteTech and not have to add parts to the stock probes. It also adds RT antenna functionality to the part addons that include antennae (usually a communications module) for addon craft. It does not, however, alter the antenna ranges of the original RT.

FYI, my fork is totally backwards-compatible, and the new features default to off (unless you use that zip I just posted, which is a simple zip of my own RT folder with the settings already at non-default...). It is perfectly compatible with the RT1 antennae and dishes (in fact, it uses the RT1 part module since it's only a slight tweak of the RT1 code). So if you like RT1 antennae, feel free to use them!

But the one thing I did take from RT2 is moving all those antenna and dish modules (that establish range) out of the parts and put them in MM cfgs. So you can do all your tweaking in one place.

That said, if you do tweak (or do use other antennae/dishes, like from RT1) then you probably should decrease the range. ;) Be a bit OP otherwise.

Okay, hello everyone.

With 0.22 around the door I'm thinking of getting back to work on RemoteTech, but I'll probably strip it to a lite version that removes the mechjeb-y flight computer and signal delay. From a game design perspective those two gave me the biggest headache and had me write the most evil hacks.

I'll see what 0.22 brings to the game with the tech trees and science uplink and decide on something then.

Okay, hello everyone.

With 0.22 around the door I'm thinking of getting back to work on RemoteTech, but I'll probably strip it to a lite version that removes the mechjeb-y flight computer and signal delay. From a game design perspective those two gave me the biggest headache and had me write the most evil hacks.

I'll see what 0.22 brings to the game with the tech trees and science uplink and decide on something then.

WB Cilph! Good to hear that. Have you thought about a kOS integration?

Would be sweet!

WB Cilph! Good to hear that. Have you thought about a kOS integration?

Would be sweet!

I barely have a clue what kOS is. I've only head of it in name. Bear with me, I haven't kept up since 0.21.

A lite version of RT2 will remove signal delay and maintain just the uplink requirement. Since kOS is (I think?) a local autopilot it should work out of the box.

Again, I'll see when 0.22 comes out. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I should probably make a new thread when I do that release.

Edited by Cilph

Okay, hello everyone.

GOOD IDEA. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Less is better.

I barely have a clue what kOS is. I've only head of it in name. Bear with me, I haven't kept up since 0.21.

A lite version of RT2 will remove signal delay and maintain just the uplink requirement. Since kOS is (I think?) a local autopilot it should work out of the box.

Again, I'll see when 0.22 comes out. Just thought I'd let everyone know. I should probably make a new thread when I do that release.

kOS is a scriptable autopilot. It runs scripts that are saved on volumes. There are two types of volumes. The archive and local volumes. The archive is at your space port.

Bringing kOS and remote tech together would mean that you need an uplink to run scripts that are located on the archive. Loosing signal while running the script would cause an error. When copying scripts from archive to your local volume you would need an uplink too.

Loosing a signal, while running a script that is stored locally it won't stop. Do you think that this would be possible?