World’s Highest-Capacity microSD™ Card

LordFerret

53 minutes ago, Nibb31 said:

SSD <> SD card.

SSD is useful for OS and apps, not so much for bulk storage. Maybe that will change soon, but for the moment, HDDs still offer a better price/capacity ratio.

My personal concern is mainly longevity of the media; All formats at this point (save for the M-disc) seem to have an average life-span of around 10  to 25 years. Things haven't changed much in this respect since the 70's.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

So, when does SSD becomes the standard choice in hard drive ?

It appears that lately the SSD is winning out, at least as far as those looking for solutions under 1 or 2 TB; SSD's start getting really pricey after that.

5 hours ago, YNM said:

So, when does SSD becomes the standard choice in hard drive ?

If you don't hoard data, they already are.  If you agree with the old chestnut "the steady state of a hard drive is full" then you are unlikely to give up rotating media.

It is still probably better to have a removable rotating hard drive for backups and spillover.  Not only should removal prevent user/malware damage, but also the OS from stopping and just having to peek at a drive nobody told it to peek at (and needing to spin it up in the process).  Load/save windows are notorious for checking each available drive every time they open.

If you really want to hoard data, RAID arrays of 2-3TB drives are probably the way to go (and similar for your backup).

5 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

SSD <> SD card.

SSD is useful for OS and apps, not so much for bulk storage. Maybe that will change soon, but for the moment, HDDs still offer a better price/capacity ratio.

Hard drives are 10 times cheaper for bulk storage than SSD.
SSD are getting cheaper but not so fast as its not so much to gain, yes you could probably drop price to 1/3 but discs don't stay at current level either. 

Interesting you can scale SSD far higher than discs, you also gain read and write speed doing this. But yes this get expensive, not only as it uses lots of chips but also as low volume stuff marketed for enterprise servers. Nice for database servers. 

The SD card is not so fast, this is both an interface and heat issue. Benefit is that you can store lots of stuff, nice then doing lots of video 

20 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

SSD <> SD card.

... Until you drop the HDD...

19 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Hard drives are 10 times cheaper for bulk storage than SSD.

My source for quick checks of prices (check yourself before making a purchase, but great for research):  https://pcpartpicker.com/ (checked for US prices on 9/3/2017)

Cheapest SSD (per byte): a Crucial MX300 2TB monster for $0.250/GB (1TB was $0.257/GB, Samsung sold a strong 512GB for $0.280/GB).  If you sort by price/storage be careful of either getting hits that are nothing but more data than you need/can afford or cheap drives with so many corners cut you might feel like using rotating media (leaving out the DRAM is a way to cut costs).

Hitachi sells a 3TB drive for $0.0250, thus neatly proving magnemoes point to three digits.  Note that while this is a descendent of the infamous "deathstar" drive, virtually all models except that one have had great reliability and this is probably the one to buy compared to its competition.  Of course, it is 3.5" so it doesn't connect easily to a notebook.  In those cases you are stuck with a SSD internal and possibly an external backup or other overflow deveice.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

... Until you drop the HDD...

My father has managed to brick a SSD in his ancient notebook (so old that I don't think the SSD really sped it up).  I suspect they are susceptable to ESD damage.  If you don't have your data backed up (and rotating media is usually the cheapest* way to do that), your data is likely to eventually disappear.

* maybe not if it fits on optical, but that has all kinds of problems and should be approached with care.

13 minutes ago, wumpus said:

descendent of the infamous "deathstar" drive

Not exactly. IBM dumped all of its interest in drive manufacturing and sold that division to Hitachi. Hitachi then ran the game with its own ball... their drives are superior hands down.

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

My father has managed to brick a SSD in his ancient notebook (so old that I don't think the SSD really sped it up).  I suspect they are susceptable to ESD damage.  If you don't have your data backed up (and rotating media is usually the cheapest* way to do that), your data is likely to eventually disappear.

SSDs typically fail completely and suddenly, at which point you lose all your data. HDDs sometimes fail progressively, causing errors, but giving you time to save most of your data.

having a 3 year old rig i get all kinds of sata bugs with my 3 ssds, which almost always are fixed by jiggling the cables. in my next 'everything but the processor' build (because the 4790k is not sufficiently obsolete compared to anything i can afford) im opting for an m.2 slot to remove the cables from the system. never had a hard ssd failure. i was always under the impression you would run into problems with flash degradation before you see hard failures.

• 2 months later...

i usually just use my network to move stuff around. i keep a 500gig ssd plugged into my router as kind of a poor man's nas. so my computer doesnt have so much as a card slot in it. i even installed the os over the network. sneakernet is so '90s.

Edited by Nuke

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

i usually just use my network to move stuff around. i keep a 500gig ssd plugged into my router as kind of a poor man's nas. so my computer doesnt have so much as a card slot in it. i even installed the os over the network. sneakernet is so '90s.

Until the .net goes down !

Physical backups are good. Sadly solid-state storages are very expensive so far.

2 hours ago, tater said:

I have no primary HDDs any more. I have a 1 TB SSD on my desktop, and a 2 TB HDD backup drive (which was practically free, so, whatcha gonna do?)

This makes my PC look more ancient than the Great Pyramids.

Edited by NSEP

4 hours ago, tater said:

I have no primary HDDs any more. I have a 1 TB SSD on my desktop, and a 2 TB HDD backup drive (which was practically free, so, whatcha gonna do?)

which one is more expensive ?

20 hours ago, YNM said:

Until the .net goes down !

Physical backups are good. Sadly solid-state storages are very expensive so far.

i dont need the internet to be working to use my lan. but i do keep a 1tb mechanical drive for backup on a seldom used computer.

59 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i dont need the internet to be working to use my lan. but i do keep a 1tb mechanical drive for backup on a seldom used computer.

so that means you're making a mainframe-terminal with only 500 GB storage in it ?.

17 hours ago, YNM said:

so that means you're making a mainframe-terminal with only 500 GB storage in it ?.

its mostly for media storage. i mean most routers have a usb port just for this kind of thing. i bough a $10 ssd->usb adapter and put my older well used ssd on it and plugged it into the router. instant nas+media server. it supports ftp server too if i want to access those files from the internet, but i dont have it enabled. this does not need internet to function. for net-installs i have a second router configured as a ethernet->wifi bridge (ddwrt <3) so i can just plug them into the computer with ethernet and they have a connection to the tftp server on my pc (why net-install doesnt support wifi interfaces is beyond me). 

the internet is more or less just more of the same. in lieu of net neutrality we might have a citizen's internet which would just be a mesh network of various privately owned routers using part of their throughput for running a mesh network over wifi. not as fast as a fiber line but it might be available. i hear there is a slower, but wider ranged wifi standard on the horizion (802.11af/ah) just for this kind of thing, offering low data rate channels with a kilometer or so of range. in dense urban environments shorter range networks with exsisting hardware are possible.

Edited by Nuke

18 hours ago, LordFerret said:

Now that's funny. We had a citizen's internet, before there was an internet. It was called BBS.

except this time the backbone isnt owned by the phone company. 

it kind of makes sense, its impossible to connect to your router without seeing 20 other routers with enough spatial distribution to create a mesh network that can serve thousands of computers. and thats in a rural environment, in an urban environment it just gets a lot better.

Edited by Nuke

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

except this time the backbone isnt owned by the phone company. 

it kind of makes sense, its impossible to connect to your router without seeing 20 other routers with enough spatial distribution to create a mesh network that can serve thousands of computers. and thats in a rural environment, in an urban environment it just gets a lot better.

True. Although, some looked to 2-meter packet radio to get around that... but the FCC got liquidy and kind of nipped that in the bud, as I recall.

Indeed. Security is an issue however, and convince people to not password protect their routers... and forget about asking them to set up 'guest' access, they can't walk around the block without getting lost. Besides, looking to liquidoff the powers that be are we? lol

Edit:
This bloody word filter is getting on my nerves. 'liquidy'? 'liquidoff'? Substitute another word for urine please.

Edited by LordFerret

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.