Nasa goes Kerbal Space Program

Gunhed

Good News everybody! The Rocket fuel is combustible!

The tanks start popping at about 1:50

So I was watching it thinking, 'Was NASA not prepared for this to happen? Is there no fire team nearby to put this out?' then just about the time I realized, well, maybe there is more fuel in there than I think.. BOOM. At first I thought it totally disappeared, I was sad when it reappeared from the smoke. :(

So I was watching it thinking, 'Was NASA not prepared for this to happen? Is there no fire team nearby to put this out?' then just about the time I realized, well, maybe there is more fuel in there than I think.. BOOM. At first I thought it totally disappeared, I was sad when it reappeared from the smoke. :(

That one was powered by Compressed Natural Gas and Liquid Oxygen, with the tanks probably containing more than enough fuel for the test flight so they could also be sure the craft could lift itself off the ground with full tanks.

If I had been standing nearby watching it, the instant it hit the sand I'd have run for the nearest blockhouse fully expecting it to blow up.

Compressed explosive gases + liquid oxygen in a confined space. You can't get much more explosive than that when upside down and on fire after a rocket crash. I'll bet their firefighters were waiting a safe distance away for it TO explode before trying to fight it, that way the tanks were empty and wouldn't blow up in their faces.

But I am honestly surprised, NASA must be getting rather rusty with their designs and piloting for this to happen. Though initial reports claim that the craft signaled a critical hardware failure when it lost control, so it might not have been a fault with their version of Mechjeb or the guy with the remote control.

And in KSP, I'd check for structural flexing and insufficient guidance- time to switch the engine to a gymbal type so that mechjeb can keep it on course.

I'm sure they'll build a better one, this time with more safeguards to keep this from happening.

I am surprised that NASA did not test Curiosity's Skycrane rockets at all. Even if it's a different atmosphere, I'm sure it would have been nice to try a prototype.

But, NASA did pull it off, so I guess they know which systems need more testing, like this one lol.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.