[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Guys, all features are not final until they are actually released, a lot of what we have seen may change, such as buttons, sky colours, and similar.

The devs are trying things out, seeing what works, scrapping what doesn't, and the decision was made to omit consumables at this time, maybe this will change, maybe it will not, we do not yet know.

There are currently no plans to add oxygen, food, water or similar stores to KSP :)

I am not really sure you can say that is spreading false information. He was just commenting on the screenshot showing an o2 button. None of us have any more knowledge than what we are given (screen shots and limited word of mouth) so we base our speculation on that. It is unfair to get onto someone for do that in a thread dedicated to doing just that.

Harv did spoke on this subject just last week on FLOB livestream. He was pretty clear...

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/entry.php/5-C7-Dev-Blog-KSP-0-17-Now-with-Extra-Blog

It looks like Bill, Jeb, and Bob are getting new suits, the kerbonaut in the first pic clearly has an orange suit.

But those 3 always had orange suits inside the capsule.

Edited by Serratus

Don't spread false information. Just because he has a modeled oxygen light does not mean we've made, or even are making, a life support system. Serratus was right, it's just filler for now.

Oxygen system would be really awesome!

I'll say this at the risk of getting shouted at by several people, but I think that omitting consumables in a space game is comparable to not adding enemies in an FPS game. I say this because you can still complete your goals in both games, but how much fun would an FPS with no enemies be? There would be no sense of urgency, strategy, or any kind of fun whatsoever in an FPS with no enemies, you'd just have to complete the mission by walking the whole way.

Obviously, this is an inaccurate comparison in many ways, as KSP is great fun already, and you can still complete your goals with a certain amount of challenge. But if something goes wrong, it would be good to see that "The [life support] went wrong, and we need to save them within two days! Quick!" as a time-orientated rescue mission would be far more immersive and rewarding if done correctly than one that you can just say 'oh, they can wait'. Therefore, consumables (A while ago I suggested having simple water tanks and food stores as the base modules, water being broken down into oxygen and waste hydrogen to keep the astronauts alive by some kind of power-requiring oxygen generator module - would keep the idea of 'fuel tanks' for the water and 'engines' for the water generators, just a different kind of fuel...

Scroll down a little

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/17318-kerbal-space-food
) are a key part of any space flight, manned or unmanned, and I feel that deciding against including them would be a step in the wrong direction for Squad. Even as an optional feature for, for example, difficulty settings, a consumables system would be invaluable to any space simulator, not to mention giving that ominous 'oxygen' button a function...

Done properly, with waste-recycling modules and things, I could see consumables not hindering any spacecraft designs by any great deal by requiring micromanagement (the systems could just be left to get on with it, unless they are damaged), and if the system was designed properly it would still allow for massive amounts of mission-time, and certainly not being detrimental to game play. (since life support is independant of ship environment, a 'time limit' readout could be given in the VAB before launch)

Features are added for gameplay value (I could be wrong), so therefore consumables (being an integral part of space-flight, far more so than EVAs, and on a level with guidance and propulsion), I feel, should be re-taken into consideration by the developers and certainly not dismissed as it appears to have been. Obviously, I have no say in what squad should do, and I'm trying desparately not to sound like "This is my idea and Squad are wrong", but I am entitled to my opinion, if anything.

EDIT:

in relation to Softweir's next post, I put my own ideas in the spoiler there, in the suggestions forum. Whether the developers ever venture there is, however, a mystery.

Edited by Vostok

Moderator Comment: Strictly speaking, whether or not Squad eventually put consumables into KSP is not part of Release 0.17. Let's stick to what is going into 0.17, shall we?

If anybody has any very good ways to deal with consumables, then it would be a good idea to make the suggestion sooner rather than later.

Oxygen, consumables and the like would be just too much in my opinion. I, and I am sure other people do as well, like to leave craft just lying around all over the place, either to mark an acheivment or just have it there for later use. Having the oxygen, consumables, etc. would probably eliminate this.

So, who's going to be the first to EVA on Bop?

I'm just hoping I can raise my Kerbol apoapsis and drift for a fews hundred years until one of the planets catches me in its SoI. So it probably won't be me. :)

Don't spread false information. Just because he has a modeled oxygen light does not mean we've made, or even are making, a life support system. Serratus was right, it's just filler for now.
It's just a light, there is no oxygen system, don't make wild assumptions.
I am not really sure you can say that is spreading false information. He was just commenting on the screenshot showing an o2 button. None of us have any more knowledge than what we are given (screen shots and limited word of mouth) so we base our speculation on that. It is unfair to get onto someone for do that in a thread dedicated to doing just that.

Sorry about that guys, and Master was kind of right, the intention was that it may come if he is modelling it but I agree there is a good chance that it is just a placeholder. Sorry again.

On topic: The new scenarios seem cool and would be fun to see what all people can do with them.

Edited by Navy4422

Guys, if you start pissing of the Devs, Admins and Mods, You're going to get the thread locked again.

Let's just leave it and talk about all the crazy **** we want to do when 0.17 comes out.

Edited by karolus10

Any changes to the planets Nova or perhaps some information on the lavaless planet like size relative to kerbin?

If anyone's seen my Kerbol Solar System pic knows that the lavaless planet is just an x were it's meant to be.

Hallo guys, I've been out of the loop a bit so I have certainly missed things, but this question shouldn't be too annoying (quick searches return no hits)... I remember that Nova's star system, in some of its variants, had a brown dwarf in the farthest reaches complete with its own small system. I always liked that idea: is that still in the cards, or has it been excluded... or none of the above?