[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

Alright so, I see that it is said (somewhere) that the thin atmosphere of Moho (I liked Charr better too) will burn us up if we enter and stay in it. Thus, I would have to assume then that, unless Squad is throwing an insurmountable challenge at stock users, we may be getting some sort of cooling parts (parts that contain supplies of refrigerants or cryogenic liquids such as liquid nitrogen or helium) for maintaining workable temperatures in our spacecraft while in high heat environments?

I am also kind of wondering whether Charr...I mean Moho, will have permanently shaded polar craters or not? How are we going to land and EVA and build bases on it otherwise?

Please do tell me if I have committed unforgivable sins by posting such things.

Ding ding! Although, it does have an atmosphere thicker than Kerbin's, the tidal forces are my explanation as to why it's kept liquid.

Goodie :)

Also keep in mind that any body with open water, especially one with +90% of the surface in the form of liquid water, will ALWAYS have an atmosphere, however thin.

This due to the fact that liquids always 'evaporate' slightly near the surface. Even if the temperature is just barely enough to keep it from freezing over, you can't have water without also having a thin layer of water vapor above it, by pure automation.

I think this is true even for other liquids like methane or even metals, there will always be a minute haze of the gaseous form of whatever liquid there is below.

At least that's how i understood it in chemistry class.

Edited by Baleur

Alright so, I see that it is said (somewhere) that the thin atmosphere of Moho (I liked Charr better too) will burn us up if we enter and stay in it. Thus, I would have to assume then that, unless Squad is throwing an insurmountable challenge at stock users, we may be getting some sort of cooling parts (parts that contain supplies of refrigerants or cryogenic liquids such as liquid nitrogen or helium) for maintaining workable temperatures in our spacecraft while in high heat environments?

By that logic they would have to provide us with stock parts for landing on Jool too then. Some people have actually announced plans to mod parts for landing on the surface of Kerbol which I doubt will ever be stockable. I would expect to be able to land on the dark side of Moho, but only if the devs have implemented the ability to vary atmospheric temperature by longitude.

Who else can't wait to start saying "peribop" and "apobop"? Great names, Nova, and much to my (and I'm sure your own) relief, you've avoided any "k" names! Hurrah! I also like some of your chosen adjectives but I'm gonna have to agree with you on using some of my own.

Edited by BurningSky93

The smallest moons are not to scale, as they'd be smaller than a pixel. Also the wiki says Minmus has a radius of 60 km.

That being said, I'm very excited about how varied the solar system (kerbolar system?) is becoming. Each planet/moon has its own challenge. Moho's day side will be ship burning hot, Eve's thick atmosphere makes landing very easy (parachutes) but ascent very tricky, Jool will have a big gravity well but interesting moons in its orbit, etc. I wish I could play it right now. Or rather not, as I wouldn't get any work done at all.

First group of stitched-together images returned by the Kerbonaut-mounted camera* on the Science-y Lander 1 (SL1) mission to Bop:

pNjjE.jpg

*As in, I manually placed the camera in front of him

Edited by NovaSilisko

I think that's cool, but perhaps you could have one more, very distant planet, like pluto (yes i know pluto isn't a planet but humour me), and it's orbit would be sort of off kilter, like minmus's. it would be like the ultimate challenge, and perhaps it could be orbiting somehow in sync with the big gas giant, so that then if you want to reach it the gas giant's gravity would be like an obstacle. when you reach it it would be about the size of minmus, but it would have some sort of easter egg on it for you to find out. also they should think about an asteroid belt, but i'm prepared to wait for that. also also they could add an oort cloud, like in the real solar system, that would be the final obstacle if you wanted to do a kerbol escape.

Size of gas giant gravity well shouldn't be an obstacle - it could be even helpful for traveling to outer planets thought using gravity assist/slingshot effect, try observe orbit change after passing the mun very close (simply speaking, greater gravity = better slingshot effect) :).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_assist

Great work on the new planets, Nova! The names seem original, yet still quite Kerbal-ish :D It's going to be fun *attempting* to land on these, especially with whatever new parts we can get our hands on! I'm hoping that we get a more efficient, exo-atmosphere engine, so that it becomes slightly easier for me and other less-than-knowledgeable players to get to these new destinations. Anyway, I reiterate, great work on the planets, the devs really seem to be going hell for leather on this update, even though Harv said it was a "small" one. Fantastic work guys :cool:

I wish I didn't know the names now, that was the big surprise for me. But wait,

There's no lava yet but there's enough heat radiating through its thin atmosphere to incinerate your ship before you even reach the ground.
It has an atmosphere? Even if it is that thin, it must be of some size big enough to have an atmosphere. I think I know which planet I'm going to first.

I think that's cool, but perhaps you could have one more, very distant planet, like pluto (yes i know pluto isn't a planet but humour me), and it's orbit would be sort of off kilter, like minmus's. it would be like the ultimate challenge, and perhaps it could be orbiting somehow in sync with the big gas giant, so that then if you want to reach it the gas giant's gravity would be like an obstacle. when you reach it it would be about the size of minmus, but it would have some sort of easter egg on it for you to find out. also they should think about an asteroid belt, but i'm prepared to wait for that. also also they could add an oort cloud, like in the real solar system, that would be the final obstacle if you wanted to do a kerbol escape.

Nova posted this layout for future updates to the solar system:

Asteroid belt

Gas Planet 2

-Rings

-Ringed moon

Gas Planet 3

-?

Tiny Ice Planet

-Tiny Ice Moon

Gas Planet 4

-?

The Tiny Ice Planet and Moon seem very Plutoish. You'll also see they're planning an asteroid belt.

Will the instructors of dan's dev blog learn you to make a interplanetry flight or will there be parts that will made it possible to make a interplanetry flight because I have now already trouble to reach Minmus.

It's not really a matter of parts. It's a matter of skill. Getting to Minmus is easier than getting to the Mun and can easily be done on stock parts.

Planets are for those who have pretty much mastered lunar flight and want a new challenge. If you are having trouble landing on the Mun or Minmus, you should concentrate on improving your skills first.

What we do need is docking, but that's a major functionality of the game, not just a matter or parts. Until then, it sill be extremely hard to handle interplanetary travel.

Edited by Nibb31