[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

I know, right. I tend to carry a pack of post-its around with me so I can draw what I mean. I don't think it'd need to look any different, just get scaled to the atmosphere of the planet you're landing on.

You might be able to aerobrake then slow yourself finally with a little rocket, Ares 1 from the Mars Trilogy style.

With the new flight planning and more phases on the patched conics, an Ares-1 style insertion would be a TON easier than it would be right now. And extremely efficient. I would just have to leave a quarter of the kerbs on kobos.

Dev's have been pretty quiet lately. Not trying to stir up any 'release is getting close' hype, but I'm willing to bet it at least means they're working feverishly on this update.

I've followed a number of indie games through heavy development like this and I must say that Squad has been absolutely phenomenal in the amount of content they cram into each update.

On topic: Has anyone else been playing .16 and putting ships into 'estimated trans-planetary intercept' orbits? I'm finding it's going to certainly be a challenge to make any sort of powered decent / return, as even with some of my heaviest lifters I'm nearly out of fuel by the time I brute force my apopsis to where abouts the Gas Giant would be.

I realize .17 might have a 'super efficient' ion-esque engine that'll ease this concern, but it's still interesting.

Dev's have been pretty quiet lately. Not trying to stir up any 'release is getting close' hype, but I'm willing to bet it at least means they're working feverishly on this update.

I've followed a number of indie games through heavy development like this and I must say that Squad has been absolutely phenomenal in the amount of content they cram into each update.

On topic: Has anyone else been playing .16 and putting ships into 'estimated trans-planetary intercept' orbits? I'm finding it's going to certainly be a challenge to make any sort of powered decent / return, as even with some of my heaviest lifters I'm nearly out of fuel by the time I brute force my apopsis to where abouts the Gas Giant would be.

I realize .17 might have a 'super efficient' ion-esque engine that'll ease this concern, but it's still interesting.

I wonder if they will be making the SOI of the new planets larger than usual to ease the need for massive amounts of fuel. It certainly would make life easier if you didn't have to boost the whole way to the gas giant's orbit and could just get most of the way and let gravity do some of the work for you.

I'm really looking forward to the multiple saves feature. Will be great to have a save for messing around and a save for my more realistic, role-play space program where I try and do things in a similar way to NASA and the Soviet Space Agency in the Space Race (including countless tests and missions with similar objectives).

If you were to lower a lander on a cable, whenever anything hits the atmosphere the friction will eventually pull it out of orbit. Even on a planet with a very light atmosphere.

However, if the craft has a counterweight (i've seen this used in space-elevator design specs, although I'm not entirely sure what it consists of), then it should remain in a fairly stable synchronous orbit.