SM3 Missile

domox

I have lots of errant debris orbiting my planet now and would like to take it out. (I'm also itching to model again :P)
So I'm going to kick off a new line of parts to create the Raytheon SM3: http://www.raytheon.com/capabilities/products/standard_missile/sm-3/

The biggest hurdles I see ahead are that once I have the parts modelled and in game creating reliable intercepts (Mechjeb is awesome but not nearly accurate enough to fill this role (unless I am using it wrong)) and also creating an explosive part.

I'd love to hear if people are interested, and please speak up if you have ideas about the intercept part of the project.

Thanks and wish me luck!

I could definitly use this for all my sattelites, since the sunbeam laser has such a short range. Maybe you could tackle the accuracy problem by making the missile break into tiny parts so it can hit it more easily.

Just a quick update, I put this scale model together this afternoon still lots more to do.

Modeled:

- MK72 Booster

- MK104 Motor

- Main stage fins

- Stage 3

- Guidance Stage/Nosecone (I need to separate them)

TODO:

- Late stage fin rails

- First stage bottom fins

- Nosecone

- Guidance/Kinetic Warhead

- Nozzles

- Nodes for attachment, thrust etc.

- Texturing

- Coding

- Better Intercept Research

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-12%20at%2011.49.03%20PM.png

For those of us who like doing stupid things (isn't that what this program's all about? :) ) can you make sure that the upper stages have surface attach capability so we can attach it without booster to our fighters/bombers/spaceplane launchers/etc.?

Looking forward to progress. I can always use one of these to rid the orbit of my mistakes. The other systems are nice, but I think there's some satisfaction in blowing it out of the sky from the surface. :)

For those of us who like doing stupid things (isn't that what this program's all about? :) ) can you make sure that the upper stages have surface attach capability so we can attach it without booster to our fighters/bombers/spaceplane launchers/etc.?

I will do my best. (First time creating parts)

Here are some initial specs for the parts:

<b>Mk 72 Booster</b>

Diameter: 0.53m

Length: 1.7m

Loaded Mass: 712kg

ISP: 260 to 265 seconds

Burn length: 6 seconds

<b>Mk 104 Dual Thrust Motor (stage 2)</b>

Diameter: 0.34m

Length: 2.88meters

Loaded Mass: 488kg

ISP: 260 to 265 seconds

<b>Mk 136 TSRM (Third Stage Rocket Motor)</b>

Diameter: 0.33m

Length: 0.9m

Thrust: 7 kN

Burn length: I've seen one source say 15s, another sais dual 20s, I also know it has nozzles for changing vector. TBD

Hmmn, will it have its own VLC (Vertical Launch Cell) system or just be mounted as a individual missile? and what about Surface to Surface capabilities? I have a load of debris scattered for about 50 KM around my launch pad I'm too lazy to clean up...

A quick update on progress.

Here is a photo of all of the stages I've finished. I didn't realize that you cannot have a motor/decoupler part, so I had to make a decoupler which adds about 2 feet to the entire assembly. :|

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-14%20at%209.37.04%20PM.png

On the pad for a sense of scale.

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-14%20at%209.40.17%20PM.png

On it's way to AP.

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-14%20at%209.42.05%20PM.png

The broad strokes are finished, now it's time to think about how to create and code the kinetic warhead, afterwards comes figuring out a reliable way to intercept targets...

It's kinda funny, my algebra teacher last year was on the team that wrote the algorithms for the real SM3 to allow it to preform anti-satellite operations. Too bad I don't go to the same school anymore, I could have asked her for some tips for you.

It's kinda funny, my algebra teacher last year was on the team that wrote the algorithms for the real SM3 to allow it to preform anti-satellite operations. Too bad I don't go to the same school anymore, I could have asked her for some tips for you.

Nice! I have a couple white papers on the matter, but I am not sure my combination of math/programming are up to snuff. I'm also dev'ing on a mac so I'm not sure how well the IDE works. :P Worst case I can see about writing an autom8 script or something, we'll have to see.

Just a quick update before bed, here are some shots of the missile in game.

What is left is the kinetic warhead which will go inside of the guidance stage/nosecone. At that point I think I'm heading into plugin territory as the warhead needs to seek, be a decoupler, and a solid rocket motor. In the meantime, peep the screenshots. :)

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-16%20at%2012.17.12%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-16%20at%2012.18.06%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-16%20at%2012.18.41%20AM.png

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-16%20at%2012.19.30%20AM.png

Please forgive the crappy graphics, my macbook air is about to burst into flames running Unity/KSP/Maya/Chrome +20 tabs lol...

This is actually a gripe the world had with China/US blowing up satellites, the USA has shot down two so far but both were in declining orbits, which means we made debris that would de-orbit. The chinese on the other hand shot down a satellite that just made a cloud of trash that spread out along it's trajectory. :(

So indeed that is true, unless you can trigger an explosion to remove the part (not realistic I know but hey it's kerbal :P ).

hmmmn....

I had a evvvvviiiillll idea about how this could be used to put KIW's into orbit... with a module that would do something like the old FOBS (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System) the Soviets tried to implement but never succeeded would have done.

hmmmn....

I had a evvvvviiiillll idea about how this could be used to put KIW's into orbit... with a module that would do something like the old FOBS (Fractional Orbital Bombardment System) the Soviets tried to implement but never succeeded would have done.

lol this is for shooting down those FOBS :P

lol this is for shooting down those FOBS :P

Awwwww..... must you spoil all my evvvviiiilllll plots to menace my kerbals? :>

BTW, Rincomp I used to use for Rendevous... it didn't have nearly as good capabilities as Mechjeb does now, but I thought it might be a good place to start on "Intercept" coding...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.