[1.3.1] Aviation Lights v3.14 [use MOARdV's version instead!]

BigNose

• 2 weeks later...

hi BigNose just wanting to say, still a fan of this mod and really like the changes. Very nice to have different modes set by action groups now (I know that was done a while ago, been meaning to comment on it) and they function very reliably now. no more mashing o and p!

My latest fav use of this mod is to put two red nav lights on the back of rovers, then put the toggle light action in the brakes action group. When you hit the brakes the lights come on and then go off as soon as you stop braking. yay!

hi BigNose just wanting to say, still a fan of this mod and really like the changes. Very nice to have different modes set by action groups now (I know that was done a while ago, been meaning to comment on it) and they function very reliably now. no more mashing o and p!

My latest fav use of this mod is to put two red nav lights on the back of rovers, then put the toggle light action in the brakes action group. When you hit the brakes the lights come on and then go off as soon as you stop braking. yay!

Yeah, I actually do that all the time too, it's awesome! :D

Let me just reiterate my love for this mod; I use it on EVERYTHING, and also to make a request.

Please can we have more modes like

on

off

flash on

flash off

int on

int off

I've just made a multidirectional ship and having these would be useful for quickly judging what's left and what's right etc.

Let me just reiterate my love for this mod; I use it on EVERYTHING, and also to make a request.

Please can we have more modes like

on

off

flash on

flash off

int on

int off

I've just made a multidirectional ship and having these would be useful for quickly judging what's left and what's right etc.

Why not putting red lights on the left and green on the right like in the reality, wouldn't that be even faster?

Also, I just noticed Aviation Lights has passed the 20000 Downloads mark on SpacePort! :D

Thank you all for your help and support, it really means much to me.

I already do that, but what do you do when your ship has four fronts depending on the circumstances.

What I mean is the ship I made changes it's forward direction based on 4 action groups. I have a semi-elaborate system where my vtol engines change direction (or not) depending on what I press. I'm also forced to use the only similar light from b9 to show me which direction the ship will move when throttled up and I can do that because each action group turns ON one light and turns OFF the other three. I still have to look at my cockpits to figure out what's port and what's starboard, which is a little difficult in the dark. I'm pretty sure it's easy to do, so why not? Other mods do it, and doing what other mods do will make your mod cool in the eyes of other mods. And you don't want your mod to be a loser.... I hope I've belabored the point :)

Of course this is possible, but then I need to implement ALL of the following actions at once:

ON

TOGGLE

OFF

Flash ON

Flash TOGGLE

Flash OFF

Int ON

Int TOGGLE

Int OFF

I think most people are happy with one key for ON/OFF, putting these 6 extra actions in is kinda over-engineered, don't you think?

At least you have to admit, a ship with four fronts is a rare special case! :P

Edited by BigNose

Of course this is possible, but then I need to implement ALL of the following actions at once:

ON

TOGGLE

OFF

Flash ON

Flash TOGGLE

Flash OFF

Int ON

Int TOGGLE

Int OFF

I think most people are happy with one key for ON/OFF, putting these 6 extra actions in is kinda over-engineered, don't you think?

If you can make it so they stay on once I hit on once, you know i will be happy :D

Also some of us use your lights for lighting things other than aircraft.

jN72rrk.jpg

Im actually gonna use your blue lights to line a runway on Duna eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

A guy named TinyPirate on Youtube has made an awesome

!!!

As most of you propably know, he even made it into the KSP Weekly September 10, 2013.

A combination of Magic Smoke Industries (successor of Infernal Robotics), good use of Aviation Lights and creepy carnival music makes up this delicate vid.

I salute you sir!

Edited by BigNose

Love your mod!

Two questions. I'm assuming that I can change a lights colour by changing the numbers after "color = " in the cfg files and edit a model png to make it's appearance match. These "color = " values are red, green, blue values between 0 and 1 right now I see they should be up to 3ish? Also would you consider adding a yellow light to the pack to align with the spacecraft section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light which may become "standard" for manned and rendezvous capable spacecraft?

Also wondering about the balance of these compared to stock. These give far less light than even the wide stock light (albeit omnidirectionally) and are far smaller, but weigh 2/3 and use 1/2 the power. Also they don't automatically get put in the light action group.

Edward

Edited by futrtrubl

everyone still loves your mod, i cannot keep count of how many people i have linked your mod to. Been running it sense your initial release. great work

Thank you very much viperwolf, I noticed you linking it a few times already. Always feels good to see! :D

Love your mod!

Two questions. I'm assuming that I can change a lights colour by changing the numbers after "color = " in the cfg files and edit a model png to make it's appearance match. These "color = " values are red, green, blue values between 0 and 1 right now I see they should be up to 3ish? Also would you consider adding a yellow light to the pack to align with the spacecraft section of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navigation_light which may become "standard" for manned and rendezvous capable spacecraft?

Also wondering about the balance of these compared to stock. These give far less light than even the wide stock light (albeit omnidirectionally) and are far smaller, but weigh 2/3 and use 1/2 the power. Also they don't automatically get put in the light action group.

Edward

Hi Edward,

actually, there is already an amber/yellow light made by Deadweasel. I will integrate it in the next release.

Regarding stock balancing, those problems are known. They weigh 10kg at the moment, because I missed a 0 in the config, it should be 1kg. Also, as you mentioned, power consumption is maybe still a bit high.

I will not however, put the lights in any action groups by default. It's too risky for one to forget about it, and then they wonder why the beacons don't flash anymore when you switch on your lights for docking illumination, etc.

Thank you for pointing out those things, though.

I should really release an update, I think I will do that today, let me just do some more testing.

BigNose

I will not however, put the lights in any action groups by default. It's too risky for one to forget about it, and then they wonder why the beacons don't flash anymore when you switch on your lights for docking illumination, etc.

I LOVE this mod! It's one of the final touches I always put on all my spacecraft. And thank you for not including them in the "Lights" group. I use a special action group that toggles the lights through their modes and I use the same setting/action group for every vessel. The "Lights" group is fine for landing lights and headlights on rovers and whatnot, but I don't want that control to mess around with my Aviation Lights settings.

I should really release an update, I think I will do that today, let me just do some more testing.

I will be downloading as soon as you do. Seriously, this is a truly excellent addition to the game. Thank you for making it.

Ok, almost done. Also fixed a bug regarding the scale of the lights, all of them (except the red beacon, which is the correct size) should be about 20% smaller as they are, I missed the "rescaleFactor = 1" line in the configs.

Expect release during the next hour or so.

V3.4 Released

Thanks to Deadweasel for the amber light texture which I used to integrate an amber warning beacon in this release, as well as fixing some things:

CHANGELOG

Added

- Amber warning beacon by Deadweasel ported to this version

Changed

- Halved the energy consumption, lights now consume 0.3 e/min

Fixed

- Fixed a scaling mistake, lights are now all the same size and ~20% smaller

- Fixed the mass of the lights, new mass is 0.001 (1kg instead of 10kg)

DOWNLOAD

Get it on Kerbal SpacePort or Mediafire!

This update is fully backwards compatible! Existing crafts will be updated automatically without getting deleted.

(Unrelated tip: You can put red lights in the action group for braking, and they will function as breaking lights!)

Edited by BigNose

ON

TOGGLE

OFF

Flash ON

Flash TOGGLE

Flash OFF

Int ON

Int TOGGLE

Int OFF

I too use the B9 lights for status indicating which direction my tugs engines are operating in. I use the B9 lights because I can setup action group to positively tell me which side is activated that I can't do with a toggle control. For example, Press 1 and stern lights and engines go OFF and forward lights and engines go ON. Press 2 and forward lights and engines go OFF, and stern lights and engines go ON. With a toggle if I were to press 1 twice the lights would be off but the engines would still be active.

Just wanted to say thank you for what has to be the first mod I installed in KSP, and my most used.

Thanks, you're welcome! :D

The change in size wont be a problem for existing crafts? I guess not - but asking anyway. :)

The update is fully backwards compatible, there will be no problems in this regard.

I pretty sure a saw such a part already existing in a mod, can't recall which one though.

I've never seen a rotating beacon light in any video or mod I've installed. If anyone knows of such a thing let me know where to get it please.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.