[WIP][1.3.1] Bugfix for jumping vessels

whale_2

18 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

It looks like it do very similar things as KJR, to easy down physics on switching scene/craft. IIRC, KJR use lowered gravity in first few physical ticks to prevent waking up kraken.
It might be possible that this fix step on KJR toe or vice versa, but have to try it to find out. In my latest career game I'm just about to start sending heavier crafts/stations to Mun/Minimus. I will try to use this bugfix as soon as I come across with jumping ships, to see if there is conflict somewhere and if this bugfix solved it properly.

Yes and no. While I really easy down physics few first ticks, the main reason for vessels jumping is that sometimes they are loaded beneath the ground level. After physics starts, ground pushes everything that got submerged into it upwards and sometimes really hard. So first I ensure that bottommost vessel point is above the ground, move the vessel up if needed and then move it down to the safe distance.

I use it along with KJR, no issues so far, at least for me.

35 minutes ago, whale_2 said:

I use it along with KJR, no issues so far, at least for me.

That's good to know, one less thing to worry about, I guess. Hopefully, it might also solve "drifting" issue on runway where I noticed that sometimes wheels are "half-sinked" into ground and sometimes slightly above ground. I thought at first that might be wheel colision issue introduced by Kerbal foundries stock wheel configs, but described issues on bugtracker might suggest it can be very similar issue as "jumping" crafts on load. Anyhow, link to galery that decribe sinked wheel issue.

5 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

That's good to know, one less thing to worry about, I guess. Hopefully, it might also solve "drifting" issue on runway where I noticed that sometimes wheels are "half-sinked" into ground and sometimes slightly above ground. I thought at first that might be wheel colision issue introduced by Kerbal foundries stock wheel configs, but described issues on bugtracker might suggest it can be very similar issue as "jumping" crafts on load. Anyhow, link to galery that decribe sinked wheel issue.

This does not look related to me. That "bouncing issue" is not continuous, it is over as soon as vessel is not beneath the ground and your craft is obviously not. What happens if you activate and deactivate time warp or use Vessel Mover to raise the craft and put it back?

I bump sometimes into this drifting thing, but quick time wrapping usually fixes this.

2 hours ago, whale_2 said:

What happens if you activate and deactivate time warp or use Vessel Mover to raise the craft and put it back?

I bump sometimes into this drifting thing, but quick time wrapping usually fixes this.

Haven't tried this. Usually reverting launch fix that. Or if I start engines ASAP and take off immediately, drifting does not influence movement to crash craft on take off, so it didn't bothering me too much. I'm still trying to figure out reliable reproducing steps for this bug as it does not always happen.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@whale_2

Thanks for such a great fix.

Are you ready to consider this a solid release yet?

I really didn't receive much feedback, at least I expected more - I still anticipate things to blow up in other people's games where they use lot of parts that I don't and build like I don't. But in order to give it better visibility, I guess yes, I'll make a release and just will be fixing things as they blow up.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.