Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

25 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Also it would need to be steered by SAS because I don't think a single part can't generate lever arm to steer with aerodynamic forces, so that aspect of it would have to stay unrealistic. Since torque would be constant instead of scaling with air speed, that mean the missile would turn faster than real life at low speed and slower than real at high speed

If my assumption is correct, you can, because there are some stock winglets that are partially control surfaces, which probably have the control surface have a different COL from the rest of the winglet

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

Dont they already get lighter as they burn off their solid fuel? 

And honestly the changes in weight is not that high on a AIM-120 or a AIM-9X.   If he starts messing with those stats it may mess them up in FAR.  Which would be REAL bad. 

I think tonight I will test a 80nm head on BVR engagement with a AIM-120 to see if it can actually reach its target in FAR.

55 minutes ago, goduranus said:

AIM-120 won't go 80nm in game. In real life it only goes 80nm when it is fired from like 12km altitude and mach 1.5 and because it follows a ballistic trajectory. In game it's doesn't fly ballistically, so it loses lots of energy by flying through thick atmosphere. On top of that, in game we launch them from lower and slower. More realistic range for they way we fire them in game would be like 15-20nm or something.

I think for AIM-120 the fuel fraction is 38% percent, which could mean the difference between its pulling 6Gs or 9Gs, I didn't see the numbers for AIM-9 yet, but I think it's over 50%, so it makes the difference between 6Gs and 12Gs. My previous 70% number was excessive as I didn't check the documentation at the time, but the difference is still significant.

It shouldn't mess up FAR because it's only to do with mass changes. 

Missiles don't burn fuel as of 1.1.0 beta. But I'll give it a try to see if I could mod in fuel burn myself, it should be pretty easy. Just need to have the new missile be a copy of the Modular Missile Guidance, but add the warhead function, the fuel container function, and the rocket motor function, the battery function, the reaction wheel function, and the decoupler function onto it. These are referred as modules in KSP files but I call them functions here to avoid confusion with the missile module. Also it would need to be steered by SAS because I don't think a single part can't generate lever arm to steer with aerodynamic forces, so that aspect of it would have to stay unrealistic. Since torque would be constant instead of scaling with air speed, that mean the missile would turn faster than real life at low speed and slower than real at high speed

Here is a sample .cfg for the AIM-120 that adds more realistic range/performance. It is for 1.0.0:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vnPCoN4HVBPZXnHbq7Ui8dHlP00wtzs6

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Steven Kerman said:

Wait, so do the batteries need to be on the craft at all times or can they be jettisoned upon takeoff(Since drone cores themselves have batteries)?

Basically if you have a drone, you need to have enough battery power to run the aircraft until i can get all aircraft positioned for takeoff. You can jettison batteries. Eidahlil's creations all have RTGs that jettison with takeoff. The point is if i have to enable infinite power or re-spawn your aircraft because you only kept the 5 EC on your aircraft that came with your drone core, i will come to your house to personally disqualify you.

Edited by exbyde

8 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Basically if you have a drone, you need to have enough battery power to run the aircraft until i can get all aircraft positioned for takeoff. You can jettison batteries. Eidahlil's creations all have RTGs that jettison with takeoff. The point is if i have to enable infinite power or re-spawn your aircraft because you only kept the 5 EC on your aircraft that came with your drone core, i will come to your house to personally disqualify you.

@Eidahlil's do that cause he woeks at freaking SpaceX AND NASA. :mad:

51 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

@Eidahlil's do that cause he woeks at freaking SpaceX AND NASA. :mad:

And his car is on an orbit between the earth and the asteroid belt, i'm sure. Its freakin rtgs on a trolley. its not that hard of a concept. Alternatively you could have a battery/rtg drop-pod that drops when gear is cycled.

43 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Updated Du-3 @exbyde, with moar ammo, 2 sidewinders, raised min alt, and various tweaks.

https://kerbalx.com/dundun92/Du-3x

sweet.

21 minutes ago, HeroBrian_333 said:

Sorry, I am having trouble getting a good model in the air, much less with a trolley. Mucho frustrado.

L0kki doesn't get it either. Its evolution. We've been refining the best aircraft for the last, what, 3mos, with at least 50 designs submitted. People are making better aircraft, you need better aircraft nowadays to place than you did when i took things over. The difference is you don't name your aircraft swear words from other languages.

Edited by exbyde

So, er....

The Ripsaw is legit not cooperating right now. It's decent, and overall well-rounded, but also has a pointless existence since Berzerker 2.0 does everything better. It also has some issues with suicidal maneuvers....

z294nz.png

I made a smaller fighter (below), but again, same problem. The Berzerkers had a little more trouble with them, but were still able to beat them two times out of three.pUNsbw.png

Just now, exbyde said:

I was thinking about that myself tbh

Some day, I will make something called the 'Berzerker Queen.'

It will deploy tiny little versions of the Berzerkers, and will hopefully be under 20 tons and 100 parts.

*Sighs*

19 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Some day, I will make something called the 'Berzerker Queen.'

It will deploy tiny little versions of the Berzerkers, and will hopefully be under 20 tons and 100 parts.

*Sighs*

Check rule 2b for unlimited

52 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Yeah been there since hive princess showed up. Didnt want unlimited dogfights to be about who could field the most low-part fighter aircraft.

Hence “Hive Mind” was designed for super class. It otherwise is the same idea as @Earthlinger has: a fighter that deploys mini fighters. 

19 minutes ago, 53miner53 said:

Hence “Hive Mind” was designed for super class. It otherwise is the same idea as @Earthlinger has: a fighter that deploys mini fighters. 

Would be sweet if you made a sort of mock daimler benz project c aircraft with a bunch of pachy deathfighters strung under the wings.

Edited by exbyde

7 hours ago, goduranus said:

make a composite aircraft that breaks into multiple smaller aircrafts, then no parts are wasted on a sitting duck Mothership.

Drone ship doesnt have to be a sitting duck. Eidahlil's drone ship was pretty simple and held missiles IIRC. Problem is with a no parts wasted mothership, either you have to develop multiple decent fighters that interlock, or one that can create a flying formation. I think your effort is better used on making a mothership out of huge (mk3) parts and deploying a lot of tiny, lightweight fighters. 

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Drone ship doesnt have to be a sitting duck. Eidahlil's drone ship was pretty simple and held missiles IIRC. Problem is with a no parts wasted mothership, either you have to develop multiple decent fighters that interlock, or one that can create a flying formation. I think your effort is better used on making a mothership out of huge (mk3) parts and deploying a lot of tiny, lightweight fighters. 

I think I would disagree, unless someone finds a way to keep the drones from deactivating when the mothership is destroyed. Until then, the mothership is the ultimate target, and needs to be a formidable fighter to survive, based on my testing so far. Hive princess, though I think rather glitchy on my end due to using 1.3.0 instead of 1.3.1, didn’t fare well against Hive Mind. 

Edited by 53miner53

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.