Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

1 minute ago, Thor Wotansen said:

That is sort of what I designed it for, I initially had air to ground missiles liberally dotted about the airframe, but then I realized it could do maneuvers that something with that much wing area and a COL behind the COM shouldn't do, so I adapted it.  It can carry something like 24 Hellfires, or whatever the small black ones are called, and still have space for AIMs and targeting pods etc.

Not to self-advertise or anything, but I'm sure we could have some fun with it in the Naval Battles thread...(which, coincidentally, is mine, lol. Cough cough....)

3 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

Junos are the new Panthers!

Missile spam is dead! Long live missile spam!

http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Hedgedrone.craft

Let's see if that works. :D

I don't think you need quite that many, different from radar missiles where several can be in the air at once, once IR missile is fired, the enemy immediately launches a flare which scrambles subsequent IR missile launches, so you're essentially firing them one at a time, so 4 per plane should be enough.

3 minutes ago, goduranus said:

I don't think you need quite that many, different from radar missiles where several can be in the air at once, once IR missile is fired, the enemy immediately launches a flare which scrambles subsequent IR missile launches, so you're essentially firing them one at a time, so 4 per plane should be enough.

Assuming the plane is not crazy, you are right.

However, previous contestant history has shown us that this is not always a correct assumption. So i need 4 to kill the friendly in front of me, 4 to kill my target, 4 to kill the target of the friendly, and 4 to finish off the last hostile because my wingmate has no idea what it's doing. Also, I'm not firing them one at a time. :D

Though, actually, it's more for the awesomeness factor than any practical considerations. :)

Missiles aren't all that great at long-distances though. The AI kinda freaks out the moment they're launched from 10 km away, and goes into crazy evasive maneuvers. The Lancers, for example, would be better off just pitching up a few seconds before the missile impact. They're maneuverable enough to dodge them reliably :P

3 minutes ago, goduranus said:

The key is to have them fire right before they get into gun range, so the enemy turns, no longer have guns on you, and presents his side profile which is a bigger target.

Why thank you for the tip

Heh heh heh....

15 minutes ago, goduranus said:

The key is to have them fire right before they get into gun range, so the enemy turns, no longer have guns on you, and presents his side profile which is a bigger target.

that's literally the pike's firing strategy. The goal is to rout the enemy before they get into gun range. Pretty much effective against any aircraft but OG berzerker, and even that would do decent

also @goduranus do you play COADE?

10 minutes ago, exbyde said:

Pretty much effective against any aircraft but OG berzerker, and even that would do decent

Wat?

When I search up 'OG slang definition,' I get 'Really strong weed that Asian Orangutans smoked with Buddha.'

Which is probably not what you meant :D

EDIT: I get what you're trying to say, but what's OG lol. Original?

Edited by Earthlinger

2 minutes ago, Earthlinger said:

Wat?

When I search up 'OG slang definition,' I get 'Really strong weed that Asian Orangutans smoked with Buddha.'

Which is probably not what you meant :D

EDIT: I get what you're trying to say, but what's OG lol. Original?

Dank is Abraxis' department. Yes i meant original.

7 minutes ago, goduranus said:

Yeah, I use the same user name on that forum.

Saw someone did a video testing your laser skiff on youtube while watching scott manley. And i havent tested the rabid squirrel due to issues with garbage collection/building my own fighter. Will run tomorrow once i have 16gb of ram

1 hour ago, exbyde said:

Saw someone did a video testing your laser skiff on youtube while watching scott manley. And i havent tested the rabid squirrel due to issues with garbage collection/building my own fighter. Will run tomorrow once i have 16gb of ram

16GB RAM won't run any faster than 8GB. KSP will only use 4GB of RAM. Most games recommend 8GB RAM.

2 minutes ago, dundun93 said:

16GB RAM won't run any faster than 8GB. KSP will only use 4GB of RAM. Most games recommend 8GB RAM.

Yes, but between chrome and ksp was getting up there. Also may want to do something other than ksp and chrome at somr point :P

1 minute ago, exbyde said:

Yes, but between chrome and ksp was getting up there. Also may want to do something other than ksp and chrome at somr point :P

Oh... but do the games you play use 16 GB?(Most games use 4GB) and KSP uses only 3gb.

7 hours ago, Thor Wotansen said:

1qy9Zpm.png

Dakka

That looks sooo cute and friendly!:sticktongue:(I'm just agitating you)

Just now, exbyde said:

Three words: Ark Survival Evolved.

:P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.