Air Superiority Fighter Competition Continued

exbyde

10 hours ago, l0kki said:

If you want, you can give me the best WunderWaffle you have (based on looks, low part count, and no mods other than bd) and I'll try to look it over. I can change some stuff around and give you the craft file back with an overview of the edits I made (I'll try to conserve the original form as much as possible). Then you can recreate the results on a new plane.

:)

Edited by Earthlinger

14 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

@exbyde so is there any solution? Or maybe there is somekind of configiration that has to be change? Like you have to set drop time above 5second or anything else?

Are the AIM-9's in weapons bays?

Alrighty folks, just to make sure you don't think i've forgotten about you, i have six videos of three fights uploading. Once those get done uploading, i'm re-doing my KSP so i don't have so many mods and crap floating around. @Eidahlil this is not an invitation to create a craft using ALL the mods XD. Will be doing more fights after, but @Earthlinger you were correct about your ECM changes helping survivability..

Edited by exbyde

Alright, so about those dogfights:

REMATCH: @Earthlingers Berzerker 2.0 vs @goduranusFlying Squirrels

Vs @Abraxis DN-65c

Vs. @Eidahlil's Pike

In the end, the Berzerker 2.0 takes advantage of stealth and default AIM-120 minimum fire settings to catch all its enemies in a stream of gunfire. Having great maneuverability helps. What doesn't help is the Pike, which uses its single AIM-9, immune to ECM, to rout the Berzerker, and its superior maneuverability to get guns on. Congrats on the #2 spot Earthlinger

Edited by exbyde

7 hours ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

In weapon bays or not, it is same, sometimes it blows up near the plane after launch (even after i set up the drop time 1second)

It is a result of the missiles self detonating when it loses the lock right after launch, because the target's heat signature suddenly decreased(for instance, turned off afterburners), the only real solution is to set missile max range shorter so that the missile has IR lock even at the low end of the target's heat signature.

Note that when launching at far ranges, the IR missile often locks and gets fired during a heat spike that only lasts a few moments, of it will often self detonate when the target's heat signature returns to normal.

Edited by goduranus

Alright, and now its time to test @goduranus' Rabbid Squirrel. Some very basic changes have been made, like cramming 2.5 times as much thrust into this critter , losing thrust vectoring, and adding an extra pair of wings. Also, cutting out the AIM-120 and an AIM-9, giving it a weapons loadout of 2 AIM-9s and some Vulcans. Lets see how it does against @kittenshark134's F-19d

6-1...respectable. This squirrel gnaws its way onto the leaderboard. Hope you grabbed some Rabies vaccine

14 minutes ago, goduranus said:

It is a result of the missiles self detonating when it loses the lock right after launch, because the target's heat signature suddenly decreased(for instance, turned off afterburners), the only real solution is to set missile max range shorter so that the missile has IR lock even at the low end of the target's heat signature.

Note that when launching at far ranges, the IR missile often locks and gets fired during a heat spike that only lasts a few moments, of it will often self detonate when the target's heat signature returns to normal.

so AIM 9 just lock vessel when they use afterburn?

8 hours ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

It certainly does play a factor in achieving lock on. After it has locked onto you, however, it will keep pursuing you, regardless of whether you turned it off to evade, making countermeasures a priority. It also helps to limit the amount of engines you have to no more than two, as I've found by going into BD's debug options, that each part plays a role in determining the total "heat output" of a craft.

1 minute ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

Aim 9s were developed in an analog age. They basically sense a source of heat and lock onto it. Doesnt care about friend or foe, and this is seen when the AIM-9 friendly fires on aircraft. It also safeties and self destructs if it loses lock. So if a craft was using afterburner at a long distance when the AIM-9 was fired, and the craft reduces its infrared signature by dropping afterburner, it loses lock and self-destructs. 

I don't know how it exactly it works, but I suspect each craft has a thermal output, increased by devices it has running, particularly afterburners. This is matched by the sensitivity of IR missiles, which is decreased by distance. So the IR missile could get a lock even while the target is not using afterburners if it is really close.

Edited by goduranus

And speaking of friendly fire, @goduranus has set up a squirrel fight for us, Rabid Squirrel against Flying Squirrel

In round 2, we see a friendly fire incident from the AIM-9 usage, but the Rabid Squirrel prevails. Because its replacing a roster aircraft, the Flying Squirrel is just eliminated, and the Rabid Squirrel will be taking its seat. It will continue to be tested and progress.

1 minute ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

@exbyde @Abraxis @goduranus So the conclusion of how to prevent AIM9 to self-destructs is reduce max missile range? but how about "detonation distance override" is this option has "role" about the problem of AIM9?

this prevents the AIM-9 from colliding with stuff. Namely your own aircraft. Or safety detonating and destroying your aircraft.

3 minutes ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

@exbyde @Abraxis @goduranus So the conclusion of how to prevent AIM9 to self-destructs is reduce max missile range? but how about "detonation distance override" is this option has "role" about the problem of AIM9?

Nope that for when it is closing on a target.

Edited by goduranus

8 hours ago, DiscoveryPlanet said:

So the conclusion of how to prevent AIM9 to self-destructs is reduce max missile range? but how about "detonation distance override" is this option has "role" about the problem of AIM9?

Not really sure. I've definitely had the same problem as you once--AIM-9s randomly blowing up shortly after launching. Detonation distance override is a setting that tells the missile to blow up this many meters away from the target, meaning that if you set it at 10, upon coming to within 10 meters of its target, it will detonate, which in itself is a useful feature, since you can kill planes even if you miss the,m by a few feet, since the missile will auto detonate. What OS are you running KSP on?

Edited by Abraxis

Just now, Abraxis said:

Not really sure. I've definitely had the same problem as you once--AIM-9s randomly blowing up shortly after launching. Detonation distance override is a setting that tells the missile to blow up this many meters away from the target, meaning that if you set it at 10, upon coming to within 10 meters of its target, it will detonate. What OS are you running KSP on?

Windows 8.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.