Star Wars Episode VIII (8) the Last Jedi Discussion

Kerbal01

Just now, tater said:

F-16s have targeting computers. I know what the interface is like from sims. I own and have read Shaw. 

I am not even trained enough to count as green, I’d need a diaper. Luke was in that same position. 

I honestly think you are not getting Star Wars. These targeting computers are not F-16 Targeting Computers. Maby Luke worn a diaper...

Does anyone like my alternative plot

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

I honestly think you are not getting Star Wars. These targeting computers are not F-16 Targeting Computers. Maby Luke worn a diaper...

I “got” Star Wars likely before you were born, lol.

Talking up computers only proves my earlier point that you can’t pay attention to detail, because the droids should be better than people at everything. 

Unrelated to this thread of conversation, why is there always a rebel pilot who is a tub of goo? To appeal to fat kids?

1 minute ago, tater said:

F-16s have targeting computers. I know what the interface is like from sims. I own and have read Shaw. 

I am not even trained enough to count as green, I’d need a diaper. Luke was in that same position. 

Yes, but he was also uniquely skilled at doing trench runs and cornholing womp rats; which happen to be about the same size an exhaust port.

As a fighter pilot, he didn't prove to be any great shakes. He spent a lot of time getting shot in the butt and having his friends "take one for the team" covering him.

"The force was with him" just enough to throw off Vader's aim for a few seconds.

Best,
-Slashy

Just now, tater said:

I “got” Star Wars likely before you were born, lol.

Talking up computers only proves my earlier point that you can’t pay attention to detail, because the droids should be better than people at everything. 

Unrelated to this thread of conversation, why is there always a rebel pilot who is a tub of goo? To appeal to fat kids?

No because we always want to see them get blown up because they usally losers. Lol

Anyone on my Alternative Plot.

1 hour ago, GoSlash27 said:

All Star Wars movies as rated by viewers on Rotten Tomatoes:

I The Phantom Menace      59
II Attack of the Clones        57
III Revenge of the Sith         65
Rogue One                            87
IV A New Hope                     96
V The Empire Strikes Back 97
VI Return of the Jedi           94
VII The Force Awakens      87
VIII The Last Jedi                51

The other movies I gave as examples of non- Star Wars movies:

The Big Lebowski               94
Saving Private Ryan           95
The Matrix                           85

I wouldn't agree that TLJ is even worse than the prequels, but when I call it a dumpster fire, I'm not alone in this assessment.

Best,
-Slashy

Give it a year. It takes a while to settle down, especially with a movie like this in the present political climate. Look at the online harrassment that Kellie Marie Tran has been subjected to because racist trolls don't like the fact that an Asian American actress was given a lead role in the film. If people's opinions about the movie are being polluted by that sort of garbage, then it is far from fair criticism. 

And I might also add that Gravity and Interstellar both had great audience ratings initially, but that those ratings settled back to something more fitting of the caliber of those movies after a while.

Just now, PakledHostage said:

Give it a year. It takes a while to settle down, especially with a movie like this in the present political climate. Look at the online harrassment that Kellie Marie Tran has been subjected to because racist trolls don't like the fact that an Asian American actress was given a lead role in the film. If people's opinions about the movie are being polluted by that sort of garbage, then it is far from fair criticism. 

And I might also add that Gravity and Interstellar both had great audience ratings initially, but that those ratings settled back to something more fitting of the caliber of those movies after a while.

I hated Gravity. All it was was someone panting the whole time and 100% inaccurate Physics and Orbital maneuvers 

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

I hated Gravity. All it was was someone panting the whole time and 100% inaccurate Physics and Orbital maneuvers 

That was my point. The movie was cringe-inducingly bad but it initially had good audience ratings. The audience ratings settled back to something more realistic after a year or so.

Also The vast majority of Americans are not Rasicts. Ok? Calling everyone who doesn't like something a Sexist or Racist doesn't solve any problems. CNN Called Thomas the Tank Engine and Paw Patrol Sexist, Anti-Enviormentalist, Corperate Dystopia and more. I don't think the kids think this. Same thing for Star Wars. They don't like these Charachters because they are flat and have no development. No thought just zombies of the light, Luke struggled Leia Han Chewy C-3PO the old Star Wars we about Heroism Sacrifice liberation. To a extent. The new Star Wars are about over throwing the evil First Order. No characters have doubts about their side, no humanism just a Disney princess with the same thoughts. Lucas was going to have Luke turn and become a new Vader at the end of a Return but decided against it. It shows that Luke had doubts himself. These Charachters are Dumb, And lack development. What's special about Finn He is a defector, that all we know. Luke is a farmer turn Jedi Knight that help overthrow the most evil Galactic Regime. Disney Turned him into a Couch Potato. Rey is a scavenger... who is OP... who is... oh wait that's it!

The children who watch Star Wars and Paw Patrol, Thomas, arnt thinking about it their thinking about the plot. Those who rate the movie as a movie and not just as a Star Wars movie understand it's problems.

17 minutes ago, tater said:

F-16s have targeting computers. I know what the interface is like from sims. I own and have read Shaw.  (I should add that I’ve actually flown a fair amount with a couple friends who fly)

But between Rey's tinkering with a scavenged X-Wing sim, and Luke's live-fire exploits on a T-16, a supersonic suborbital craft, which one of them is at least a pilot?

They don't care about it. REY FINN, POE are all bad charachters. It has nothing to do with racism of sexism. I don't like it because Rey has no reason to be as powerful as she is. She has done nothing to earn her hero title! Iden Versio did she saved Citizens from the empire and help saves many worlds from Operation Cinder. Rey flew around in the Falcon that's it. Oh right Finn saves some horse camel thing. He is a hero now

Just now, DDE said:

But between Rey's tinkering with a scavenged X-Wing sim, and Luke's live-fire exploits on a T-16, a supersonic suborbital craft, which one of them is at least a pilot?

Exactly. 

22 minutes ago, tater said:

F-16s have targeting computers. I know what the interface is like from sims. I own and have read Shaw.  (I should add that I’ve actually flown a fair amount with a couple friends who fly)

Edited by DDE

Luke did something to be a hero. He put his life on the line to save the entire galaxy. Rey did nothing

Just now, DDE said:

Luke of course.

Just now, Cheif Operations Director said:

Luke did something to be a hero. He put his life on the line to save the entire galaxy. Rey did nothing

Well, technically she did, but she promptly wiggled her way out with very little effort.

Treating an existing setting as an amusement park ride is what characterizes the backyard-variety Mary Sue.

1 minute ago, DDE said:

Well, technically she did, but she promptly wiggled her way out with very little effort.

Treating an existing setting as an amusement park ride is what characterizes the backyard-variety Mary Sue.

What did she do that was comparable to attacking a moon with a few X-Wings vs thousands of Tie Fighters. It was a Suicide Mission and yet we went.

3 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

They don't care about it. REY FINN, POE are all bad charachters. It has nothing to do with racism of sexism.

Hold on. Finn is kinda sympathetic. He just ants to get out of this mess, and has no idea what's happening.

Also, don't forget the one true hero.

https://youtu.be/uAtLV26wnCE?t=6

Just now, DDE said:

Hold on. Finn is kinda sympathetic. He just ants to get out of this mess, and has no idea what's happening.

Also, don't forget the one true hero.

https://youtu.be/uAtLV26wnCE?t=6

I'm not saying they did nothing but they did nothing comparable to the original trilogy and the threat is bigger now that the empire ever was They had a planet killing machine. 

Did you like my alternative Ep VII Story? 

8 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

That was my point. The movie was cringe-inducingly bad but it initially had good audience ratings. The audience ratings settled back to something more realistic after a year or so.

PackledHostage,

I'm sure that some of the negative reviews were politically motivated, hence why I don't agree that it was worse than the prequels. But of the 160,000 reviewers, I don't think that very many were trolls.

I'm with COD on this part. It has nothing to do with the characters' race or gender. It's about the fact that they're bad characters. The hero is supposed to be weak, vulnerable, and afraid. That's what makes them heroes. But Disney won't allow them to be that.

Honestly, I think Finn had the best opportunity to be a truly good hero character. It's a shame they relegated him to being a sideshow.

Best,
-Slashy

1 minute ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What did she do that was comparable to attacking a moon with a few X-Wings

Decided to get captured by Snoke because reasons.

Which is a very Mary Sue kind of risk.

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

PackledHostage,

I'm sure that some of the negative reviews were politically motivated, hence why I don't agree that it was worse than the prequels. But of the 160,000 reviewers, I don't think that very many were trolls.

I'm with COD on this part. It has nothing to do with the characters' race or gender. It's about the fact that they're bad characters. The hero is supposed to be weak, vulnerable, and afraid. That's what makes them heroes. But Disney won't allow them to be that.

Honestly, I think Finn had the best opportunity to be a truly good hero character. It's a shame they relegated him to being a sideshow.

Best,
-Slashy

Yes

Just now, GoSlash27 said:

Actually, don't forget that he's been prevented from making a heroic sacrifice.

Does anything think people who win the Medal of Honor were NEVER afraid in war, come on that's the point of it. You were afraid but didn't run

Just now, DDE said:

Actually, don't forget that he's been prevented from making a heroic sacrifice.

Exactly 

But. Think Kamakazie then ejecting from the craft would be a better option.

@DDE

Did you like my Alternative Plot? 

I want to see if I could have written a better force Awakens for the fans? 

38 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

It *is* Disney's fault, which is why they've had so many problems with "creative differences" and had to play musical directors and writers.

The management at Disney is trying to promote an agenda, and while I won't get into it (political), you can freely google the subject and how it has hamstrung the story.

2 things I will say that are central: #1 all leading heroes must be female, and #2 no female can be portrayed as anything less than awesome.

This makes a good "hero" storyline impossible, since the hero must be vulnerable and come perilously close to death.

Totally agreeing with you. I weakly attempted a poorly executed veiled comment in this general direction. Not wishing to be banned from another forum (I had my moments in my younger days) I chose a more silent approach.  

35 minutes ago, GoSlash27 said:

Luke was "the best bush pilot in the Outer Rim". Rey had never flown anything in her whole life, and effortlessly picked off TIE fighters while flying through the innards of crashed Star Destroyers. So yeah, not the same thing.

Really? I need to pull TFA and watch again. If this is accurate, I abandon my position. I knew Rey had a brief moment of getting used to the controls but if this was her first time flying, then yeah major disappointment with the corporate decision making process.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.