[WIP] Infernal Robotics - Next

Rudolf Meier

ok, force is back in and those problems with the accuracy is a KSP problem that I cannot solve... the part is moving away from its center position... that's why everyone uses KJR and stuff like that... this depends on where you put your parts and things like that

I'm now updating the code on GitHub... I need to put in some files we need to compile (TweakScale and KJR) and then... I will try to build a next release... or remove IK first and put it into its own module and then build the release... :) 

we have a new release... and this time it is on Github... I have not yet cleaned the code, but the building and the releasing is very easy now...

next would be to put IK into its own module... but I hope that this new version doesn't contain any major bugs anymore now

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

I found a little bug

the pointer value in the cfg of the "Extendatron Stackable" and "Extendatron Stackable (Half)" should be set to 1, 0, 0 ... otherwise they don't work correctly

Still having problems with large scales - could be my config, who knows.

EDIT: I was wrong. Some funny stuff happening still at large scales, but it's related to symmetry. One 4x-scaled part moves OK, 2 placed in symmetry --> phantom forces begin moving the vessel while it's sitting on the launchpad, and attempting to move the (symmetry) parts makes them blow up.

EDIT2: Also, there's a KJR dll still included in the MagicSmokeIndustries Folder, and another similar DLL in the KJR folder. Something went wrong with divvying these up, it seems...

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

9 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

Still having problems with large scales - could be my config, who knows. But when entering flight scene with 4x scaled parts, phantom forces begin moving the vessel while it's sitting on the launchpad, and attempting to move the robotic parts makes them blow up. Are you still testing with a config that includes large scale values?

I do test with 1.3.1 at the moment (I'm switching the versions from time to time, but for the last problem it was best to test on the older version)... and, scaling to 5.4 was no problem for me. And I did recheck if the files in the release are correct. But I didn't check on 1.4.1 and also not with the new TweakScale... I didn't expect to see differences here, since I'm not using the new "don't scale when factor is 0"-feature at the moment (to be backwards compatible with old versions for a while)

ksp 1.4.1, with your mod and kjr, i tried to make a vtol plane and seems that engines attached to rotatron don't have power, also don't take enough air intake, can't fly even if KER readings show me 1.6 twr. if i attach engines without rotatron they provide enough power to lift easy.

Edited by Acvila

20 minutes ago, Acvila said:

ksp 1.4.1, with your mod and kjr, i tried to make a vtol plane and seems that engines attached to rotatron don't have power, also don't take enough air intake, can't fly even if KER readings show me 1.6 twr. if i attach engines without rotatron they provide enough power to lift easy.

Need to enable ' fuelCrossFeed = True ' in the config file to get fuel to the attached engines.

4 minutes ago, Getsome2030 said:

Need to enable ' fuelCrossFeed = True ' in the config file to get fuel to the attached engines.

where can i find this config file? however i attached a fuel pomp to the container which hold the engine, same thing... twr reported 1.6 but no lift... and without  8 or more air intakes one of the engine always flame out.

2 hours ago, Getsome2030 said:

GameData\MagicSmokeIndustries\Parts\Legacy_v3\IR_Rotatron\part.xml

paste ' fuelCrossFeed = True ' above the line  ' bulkheadProfiles = size0, srf '

thanks, i will try and report back

LE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o_Sbiy0buoRv4DcwHXdZLMGMIEKskDm6

with basic rotatron an added fuel crosfeed

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1suZjYjzLOUfXPe16Zz0FEUCC8AuLzXQO

without

with rotatrons i managed to fly only after twr was over 2.6- 2.8

Edited by Acvila

another bug... if translational joints are not at 0 when the scene loads, the readout is wrong... I will check that (also for rotational ones) ... comes because I changed the calculation of this position...

5 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Hi, nice for continuing this, did you already plan to unleash https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/IR-Sequencer ?

yes... about an hour ago I built the first "working" version and I will upload this in some hours from now (it takes some time to build the building scripts and to create a structure that can be uploaded to github... that's what I'm doing now)

Edited by Rudolf Meier

I've uploaded a version of the sequencer... but to be honest, all I did check is if it compiles and if the gui starts... I did modify the code that it can work with the new v3 elements, but that was done in theory, without testing

oh and just to mention that too: those bugs that I found in IR are fixed, but I didn't build a new release... I will do that when the modules are tested a little bit better... the plan would be not to have an update every hour, because that's confusing an nobody likes to install new versions 10 times a day

Edited by Rudolf Meier

Updating once or twice  at a day is more than enough. Considering that community is scatered around globe in different time zones, you should not need to worry about "exact" time for update either. Between updates you could get some feedback or not, depending if someone testing it or if someone found something out of ordinary.

Even just uploading when everything else is already prepared can be time consuming, not to speak of preparing everything, code, documentation, config file changes, etc.

Uncontrolled rotatrons do not work right now, am i right? Very funny RUD's if you try to make a chopper. Anyone tried yet?

EDIT: ok, i correct myself, actually nothing works for me right now. Going to sleep mode, wake me up, when its time :-D

Edited by Blackline

1 hour ago, Blackline said:

Uncontrolled rotatrons do not work right now, am i right? Very funny RUD's if you try to make a chopper. Anyone tried yet?

EDIT: ok, i correct myself, actually nothing works for me right now. Going to sleep mode, wake me up, when its time :-D

did you install KJR? the version I made? (the official one is not working well with IR... especially not for helicopters)

Edited by Rudolf Meier

2 hours ago, Blackline said:

i had no KJR installed, and NO autostruts (which i usually use instead of KJR). Does IR support autostruts? I am not expecting it, but would be a nice feature.

Yes, it does support autostruts. But I never tested it and now that I did it, I found a little bug... you have to wait for the next release. But then it should work. Right now it does only work, if you never lock a joint.

Hi Rudolf, I finally found this after hours of looking through old, messy  IR threads- it was my fifth or so take on IR after updating to 1.4.1- and I must say this one seems cleanest so far- nice, clean thread with good info, simple install without milion of hacks and sneaky interactions with other mods- very good job. In fact while thinking how can I word my appreciation for your work, I just got an idea about maybe helping you out if you need. Admitably I have 0 exp. in doing KSP modding but I am quite experienced programmer (C++, Obj-C and Java mostly but sure I can craft some excrements on .NET too), I do some modeling in blender, know my way around gimp- even have some game dev exp (99% Unreal Engine but I've also booted Unity at least a couple of weekends in my times too ^^), so maybe there is some stuff I can help you out with? As I said- I didn't actually participate much in KSP forums so far so sry for spamming thread with this but I can't actually send PM yet :D Feel free to remove this after you read.

If you want/need some help, you can reach me at [email protected]

Edited by mexorsu
twitchy enter finger strikes back

15 minutes ago, GrimDarknight said:

Any plans to stick this on CKAN?

It will be counterproductive to put this on CKAN while it is heavy under development. Once it is done it will replace old IR plugin and proper CKAN metadata with all dependencies can be made. Pull request for KJR is merged recently, so at least one mode less to worry about.

37 minutes ago, kcs123 said:

Pull request for KJR is merged recently, so at least one mode less to worry about.

No... he reverted it... because I added support for 3 KSP versions (1.2.2, 1.3.1 and 1.4.1) and didn't simply switch to a single one (the latest) ... I modified the structure of the project (#define) and did build batch files so that I can build and pack everything for 3 KSPs with just 1 command... and I'm not planing to drop support for a KSP version if you can still download it from their store.

I don't like how it's done with the mod versioning. This constant pressure to update to the latest version of KSP if you want the new version of the mod. When you do this, you run into huge problems because only half of the mods are ready and if you keep the old version you don't have the bugfixes or you break your saves... that's not user friendly!

I have to see what I will do about this... I'm not sure yet.

Edited by Rudolf Meier

Hello :). Could we get angle translators? Torque input and 1:1 output and one free moving telescope? It will be very helpfull in building machines :) .

Oh. And new rotators are bugged. Its blocking at 360 degrees. 

Edited by IMrChrisI

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

No... he reverted it... because I added support for 3 KSP versions (1.2.2, 1.3.1 and 1.4.1) and didn't simply switch to a single one (the latest) ...

I'm not sure, but seems that he merged back previously reverted piece of code, but removed older KSP versions or I'm not reading github properly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.