[video] Melee Attack ship - dual command pod capture

katateochi

I've been trying to re-build this ship in 0.16 and have hit a couple of walls. There is a bug which causes twitching and it particularly noticeable with crafts that have long extensions. There is also a weirdness in the way the hydraulic rams flex which makes it look WRONG!

http://youtu.be/P2a8xPyTB98?t=1m16s - link to point in vid which shows the problem with the reaver

I really hope I will be able to re-make this in 0.16! If anyone knows a way around the twitching issue I'd be really grateful for any help.

slight aside:

Not sure if anyone is interested in this as it only applies to 0.15 but this is a really odd glitch I found when building this ship;

The ship had a weakness at the join between the arms and main body, adding solar panels to another part of the ship solved it!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you found a way to fix the "twitching" in .16 yet? I am trying to make a docking arm but after i move a single joint once in orbit it twitches and freaks out all around throwing the ship in chaotic twists and spins...

Have you found a way to fix the "twitching" in .16 yet? I am trying to make a docking arm but after i move a single joint once in orbit it twitches and freaks out all around throwing the ship in chaotic twists and spins...

Sadly not yet. I thought it was to do with the DamnedRobotics mod but it turns out that twitch happens with stock parts, arms just make it more apparent. It's a game issue so I think we are just gonna have to wait for the next release and hope its fixed in that!

There is a DR bug in that hinges do not load correctly when reloading or switching to it from long distance. These two combined make this ship impossible in 0.16 for now :(

Edited by katateochi
speelong mistuks

Sad news. I feel like this is the best mod, hands down, and now it's broken.

I posted in the Damned Robotics thread too but they seem more interested in texturing the broken parts than making them work properly...

Sad news. I feel like this is the best mod, hands down, and now it's broken.

I posted in the Damned Robotics thread too but they seem more interested in texturing the broken parts than making them work properly...

hmmm I agree. I posted a vid on that thread about the twitch and they said that it really is caused by the game, not the mod. Yes it does happen with stock parts, but in my experience DR parts twitch so much more than other parts. I recently had some radial engines mounted to the rotator part, they twitched around really badly and while in time warp would be offset by about half their length. I removed the rotator part and now the engines stay still. You can still see a slight judder in the whole ship but its noting like as bad.

I've also been getting some really bad lag issues with MechJeb. When using the smart ASS for things like proG orientation it can suddenly get really laggy when the ship is almost perfectly aligned, it's struggles to work out what to do in the situation where it should do nothing. Almost like it's trying to divide by 0!!

MechJeb and DamnedRobotics MAKE this game. Less so mechjeb, it was a good teacher but I now only use it for lazy launches and close proximity rendezvous but currently the latter is not working at all. TGT+ (and the others) error near to the target and there is no kill relative velocity function which makes doing anything like what I did in this Reaver vid darn near impossible (unless you worked in NASA and have actual time logged in a real simulator).

I'm also only really able to make use of DR for ground based craft atm. suckage.

Having said that, I have just managed to fly a nightclub to the Mun and it has DR rams. without struts its obviously kracken fodder, but by bolting it down with extra strong struts it survived the flight. The hinges and rotator parts seem to produce the worst issues. :(

yea i hate that twitch in the hydraulics, it killed my space stations gravity boom and destroyed the rest of the space station when the mass on the end of the boom flicked back into the station proper!

hope it gets fixed

I love the vids. (And that's quite a laundry list of mods needed to make the Reaver work!) I will say I have seen the twitch issue in my rocket launches. I have no mods of any sort, so it definitely is a game issue. And it always seems to happen after passing a certain altitude. Hopefully 0.17 kills off this Kraken offspring.

As for the Reaver? The first ship that was attacked I liked more. More debris... :)

I love the vids. (And that's quite a laundry list of mods needed to make the Reaver work!) I will say I have seen the twitch issue in my rocket launches. I have no mods of any sort, so it definitely is a game issue. And it always seems to happen after passing a certain altitude. Hopefully 0.17 kills off this Kraken offspring.

As for the Reaver? The first ship that was attacked I liked more. More debris... :)

Yeah the first ship was better, funny thing is thou; it was supposed to be stronger, it had the command pod right inside so it was meant to be a challenge to break up. It came to bits like kindling. The other ship (btw did anyone notice its name? Its the SS-Flying Travesty) was meant to be easy to break but it turned out the weak decouplers round the command pod were really strong! That's KSP sometimes, not always what you expect!

"laundry list" lol. yeah I hope 0.17 is the cure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.