KSP Interstellar Extended Support Thread

FreeThinker

I have a list. First FAR, I know there is a beta version available on Git, but it seems not so stable atm, texture replacer was replaced with Replaced Texture replacer, that needs me to tweak many texures, bothering but I can afford that. Infernal Robotics was not so stable in 1.2.2 but it works for me, however in 1.3 it seems worst. Scatterer is still broken in 1.3, not completely but however a lot. Bon Voyage is not updated, it seems that RealGecko has abandoned the forum. Updating Kerbal Construction Time is a core. There ia beta for 1.3 but I need to be sure it doesn't mess things, as KCT is well known to be messy sometimes. Kopernicus works at half, and I need if I want to continue the storytelling. L-Tech Industries it seems abandoned and I have his science experiments on all of my interplanetary ships. NavBall Adjustor is not updated, bu I can live without it, if I really need. And more than this, there are a couple of mods that I need for the story telling that are probably abandoned and do not work in 1.3 but are perfect in 1.2.2.

So, as you see, I still have to be patient and wait to update. I tried but KSP doesn't load at all, cause probably there is something else that needs an update or at least a recompile. But I'm ok with 1.2.2, except for this generator thing. If the worst come to the worst, I'll avoid to use reactors on some ships or some situations.

i fixed this problem by editing the save file (calced an AVG  and gave the same number to all 4 nuks in the ship)

but favoring a single core for power wily idel is probably a something that need to be fixed
losing 30 out of 150 KN in one side is not good.

21 minutes ago, danielboro said:

i fixed this problem by editing the save file (calced an AVG  and gave the same number to all 4 nuks in the ship)

but favoring a single core for power wily idel is probably a something that need to be fixed
losing 30 out of 150 KN in one side is not good.

But how this unbalance develop and after how much time?

24 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

But how this unbalance develop and after how much time?

after take off this ship went to minmus. landed near my miner..i used CC-r2 ports from kis to connect the 2
i dont know the exact  time but that was the last thing i did in 1.2.2
~ 30 games days ago

{
the miner has inaf solar to work in the day time. the ship has 4 UniversalStorage fuel cells and the 4 solid cores
i jump to see if it was full ~ 3 games days ago found it at night and whit all drills and converter off (but EC was at 100%)
turned all back on. and set a KAC alarm for 1 game day
i came back to it after ~ 2 game days and found the unbalanced nukes

} this i did today if thers relevant info in the logs i have them

1 hour ago, Nansuchao said:

I have a list. First FAR, I know there is a beta version available on Git, but it seems not so stable atm, texture replacer was replaced with Replaced Texture replacer, that needs me to tweak many texures, bothering but I can afford that. Infernal Robotics was not so stable in 1.2.2 but it works for me, however in 1.3 it seems worst. Scatterer is still broken in 1.3, not completely but however a lot. Bon Voyage is not updated, it seems that RealGecko has abandoned the forum. Updating Kerbal Construction Time is a core. There ia beta for 1.3 but I need to be sure it doesn't mess things, as KCT is well known to be messy sometimes. Kopernicus works at half, and I need if I want to continue the storytelling. L-Tech Industries it seems abandoned and I have his science experiments on all of my interplanetary ships. NavBall Adjustor is not updated, bu I can live without it, if I really need. And more than this, there are a couple of mods that I need for the story telling that are probably abandoned and do not work in 1.3 but are perfect in 1.2.2.

So, as you see, I still have to be patient and wait to update. I tried but KSP doesn't load at all, cause probably there is something else that needs an update or at least a recompile. But I'm ok with 1.2.2, except for this generator thing. If the worst come to the worst, I'll avoid to use reactors on some ships or some situations.

I see, alright, here is a 1.2.2 back ported release of KSPI 1.15 alpha. Notice it includes a back ported CTT as well which is required

Edited by FreeThinker

Found a fun lifehack: If you remove the lithium from your fusion reactors, they no longer produce any thermal power but instead produce 100% charged particle output like an tri-alpha reactor.

Note: this does not increase the output of your reactors in CP, it merely eliminates the thermal output so you won't overheat if your using efficient CP power generation.

How do I get Tritium to decay into Helium 3? Tried having various tanks of it but they don't decay into liquid or gasious helium of any kind

thus far I only seem able to get Helium 3 from Cold Deuterium Deuterium Fusion.

Molten salt reactors make Tritium and 'Helium' but not 'Helium 3', and they only make helium when tritium breeding is enabled.

<edit> Oddly enough, Having a MFC Spherical Tokamak on board seemed to make my Tritium properly decay (even liquidtritium) into Helium3 tanks. But a molten salt reactor won't?

Bug or am I missing some kind gameplay feature?

Edited by BlackMoons

Making a spreadsheet of fusion modes.

Deuterium-Helium3 mode, uses 1.69424836125e-12kg of one resource and 1.1294989075e-12kg of another, but produces 2.2470469e-12kg

That is a fair bit of missing mass there.

PS: What is the diff between Normalized ReactionRate and Normalized PowerRate for reactor fuel mods in ReactorFuels.cfg?

Ohhh, Iv finally found a good reaction loop!

Proton-Lithium6 requires 2.177E-12 hydrogen and 13E-12 lithium6 per MW. thats a fair bit but lithium 6 is IMO easy to get.. Sadly only has 0.6 reaction rate and 0.227 power multiplier. just under half of that fuel mass, turns into HE3

Helium3-Helium3 fusion, Requires only 4E-12 per MW and produces 25% hydrogen.

Result is almost closed loop, should supply I think 75% of the hydrogen needs running at 1:1 MW output.

So it would be fueled by lithium6 and water. (or hydrogen, or HE3, or tritium..). Advantage being that all fuels are solid/liquid and don't require cryogenics or high pressure to transport. Also can be IRSU'ed from just about anywhere, or indeed stolen from other reactors lithium cores and life support water if need be in extreme emergency.

Also, 100% CP output with only 0.001% neutron emission so very low heat, Although very low specific energy too.

I do wonder if Lithium-6 Cycle fusion might be simpler/more fuel efficient/higher power to mass ratio for reactors.. Plus Proton-Lithium6 is tech level 4.

All that said, Proton-Lithium6 might be a good way to IRSU Helium3 that you otherwise could not get without deuterium as every single Tritium Producing mode requires Deuterium unless you use fission.

<Edit> With a 0.227 * 0.6 power multiplier, Proton-lithium6 is near worthless unless you really REALLY needed some HE3 for some reason. 170MW outta a 2.2GW tribeam after fusion maintenance. Meh. HE3 seems mainly used to decrease fusion maintenance of a fuel.

That said, Proton-Lithium7 is 1.87GW outta a 2.2GW tribeam, And lithium6 cycle is 1.2GW.

The only cycles over 61% max power are:

Deuterium-Tritium 100% (produces neutrons and mainly heat)

Deuterium-Lithium6 95%

Deuterium-Helium3 88%

SP Helium3-Deuterium 84%

Proton-Lithium7 83%

unknown.png

Also interesting to note: there is no way to power a thermal nozzle without deuterium for a fusion powerplant. Only fission powerplants have the option to run on non deuterium fuels and produce heat.

Edited by BlackMoons

7 hours ago, danielboro said:

this is after warping for ~80 days (i started whit all nukes fixed having the same number for Ac and U)

and then setting trutel to 100%
edit
trust is 71 KN and 67 KN

Most likely what is happening is you are leaving the generator on the nuclear engines running. It keeps it throttled up so to produce power for the ship at a min %, so it builds up decay products as it burns through fuel. Try turning off the generator on all your engines (instead have something else provide power in timewarp, or alternate what engines are enabled), its uneven because at min throttle of one engine, none of the other engines need to throttle up so they don't.

Edited by BlackMoons

Either tritium breed rate or consumption rate readout is off.

UEpIyql.jpg

Shows 0.015kg/day breed rate and 0.75kg/day consumption rate, except my tritium amount is not going down.

Also, Arcjet RCS jets don't consider liquid methane a valid source of methane to switch to for use as a propellant.

Edited by BlackMoons

Just a quick question. The base Molten Salt Reactor and the Thermal Electric Generator in career mode are producing ~10k EC/s at 2.5m with the .65m size producing ~670/s. Are these correct numbers or is my game bugged? Seems a bit strong for the size.

9 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Deuterium-Helium3 mode, uses 1.69424836125e-12kg of one resource and 1.1294989075e-12kg of another, but produces 2.2470469e-12kg

That is a fair bit of missing mass there.

Good find, If course they must add up and reduced by the amount of mass converted into energy

9 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

PS: What is the diff between Normalized ReactionRate and Normalized PowerRate for reactor fuel mods in ReactorFuels.cfg?

Reaction rate represents the likely hood of fusion occurring normalised against D-T fusion. The value is directly linked to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb_barrierCoulomb barrier.

Power Rate represents the amount of fusion energy normalised against D-T fusion power  1 represent 17.4 MeV

Edited by FreeThinker

11 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Good find, If course they must add up and reduced by the amount of mass converted into energy

Reaction rate represents the likely hood of fusion occuring normalized against D-T fusion , it is directly linked to the Coulomb barrier.

Power Rate represents the amount of power normalised against D-T fusion power  1 represent 17.4 MeV

Ok but what is the difference in game? What uses only reaction rate instead of reaction*power rate?

Also updated spreadsheet to list what ones are available on trialpha reactor (And what ones are only on trialpha)6vnMqzn.png

Shows that Proton-Lithium7 is the highest power reaction for the Trialpha if anyone is wondering. Followed far behind by Lithium6 cycle, lithium6-helium3 and helium3-helium3

Edited by BlackMoons

13 minutes ago, BlackMoons said:

Hu, I just learned the TriAlphas fusion maintenance power draw depends on activity level of the reactor, while for all others its fixed.

Yep, the Tri alpha employs inertial confinement fusion, which is not continuous but rather many individual fusion events The rate can be controlled at will which means you can generate power near  instantly and you don't need time to power up. This is great as a standby power, making it able to last for centuries.

Edited by FreeThinker

3 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Most likely what is happening is you are leaving the generator on the nuclear engines running. It keeps it throttled up so to produce power for the ship at a min %, so it builds up decay products as it burns through fuel. Try turning off the generator on all your engines (instead have something else provide power in timewarp, or alternate what engines are enabled), its uneven because at min throttle of one engine, none of the other engines need to throttle up so they don't.

this ship has 2 gigantors and 4 fuel cells (using a kos script to start them wen needed)
any 1 of them can make inaf EC to run it
but the real problem is the 4 reactors are not balanced.
theirs a favored for producing power and this reactor loses trust do to accumulated Ac
then the ship is unbalanced that can get up to 140KN on one side and 110KN on the second that ~ 20%. lots of turq

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Yep, the Tri alpha employs inertial confinement fusion, which is not continuous but rather many individual fusion events The rate can be controlled at will which means you can generate power near  instantly and you don't need time to power up. This is great as a standby power, making it able to last for centuries.

Very cool. I like how the reactors act differently and have different fuel modes. Gives them personality and distinct purpose, not just 'You unlocked B and will now be using B exclusively as A is obsolete'

I even still put small molten salt reactors on many of my ships because a tiny one is light, will power everything I could ever want for 20 years on uranium burnup mode at 6% idle power, and will jumpstart fusion powerplants no problem.

1 minute ago, danielboro said:

this ship has 2 gigantors and 4 fuel cells (using a kos script to start them wen needed)
any 1 of them can make inaf EC to run it
but the real problem is the 4 reactors are not balanced.
theirs a favored for producing power and this reactor loses trust do to accumulated Ac
then the ship is unbalanced that can get up to 140KN on one side and 110KN on the second that ~ 20%. lots of turq

Ok but seriously try clicking 'disable generator' on all your nuclear engines. Just because you have other things running does not mean your nuclear engine does not see a reason to be active at all.

Just checked and solid core has a 1 year 80 day lifespan with its internal generator active (1% idle power even with no real need for EC/MJ)