Will the number of living humans who have walked on another world fall to zero?

Joseph Kerman

Will the number of living humans who have walked on another world fall to zero?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Will they?

• Yes
    • No

https://www.metaculus.com/questions/615/will-the-number-of-living-humans-who-have-walked-on-another-world-fall-to-zero/

In the current decade, with the deaths of Neil Armstrong (2012), Edgar Mitchell (2016), Eugene Cernan (2017) and John Young (2018), the number has fallen to five living astronauts. Randall Munroe predicted in 2011 that the last man would die between 2023 and 2035 with 90% confidence.

Several countries (as well as the company SpaceX) have announced plans for manned landings on the Moon or on Mars in the 2020s or 2030s, which would increase the number for the first time since 1972.

Will the number fall to zero before the next increase?

Edited by Joseph Kerman

2030 is the middle prediction, it seems... It's also right in the middle of my confidence in the BFR. If it works the way it is envisioned (big if) it will be revolutionary. The only issue is timespan... BFR is currently the only serious in development vehicle that could reach another world by 2030. If NASA pays them to go to the moon within a reasonable timeframe, then the number will not reach zero (until extinction). If they have to get to Mars on their own finances... My personal slightly-optimistic prediction is a manned landing in 2029, but that could easily be pushed back to 2031. I'll give it 50/50, but because of the small possibility of moon financing I'll give it 40/60... It will be close.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.