Evolution of Rockets

In my early days (summer 2014) my designs tended to follow OTAT rules (Orange Tanks All the Time), with Jumbo 64's on pretty much anything I built.

Those truncated hot dogs took me everywhere.

HLuedZO.jpg

HgmJ010.jpg

With plenty of fuel stashed in Kerbin orbit to supply those journeys, in the same orange tanks.

cT9DCbK.jpg

This culminated in the ultimate orangey beast, the Eve Party boat. This not only was one huge block of Jumbo 64's, but was also supplied and pushed to its destination by vehicles using them.

c0kiogo.jpg

In addition to OTAT there were also the the NBEF "(Never Bring Enough Fuel) rules to comply with in those early days. Again this meant some trust orange tanks being put to use, in this case to send much needed combustables to some hapless Kerbals, stranded somewhere in the system.

IQJpsnS.jpg

After the orange tanks period came that of ITE (Ions To Everywhere) rules that saw them used to venture around the system, land on various moons (including Mun) as well as break some speed records of the time.

This of course was in the heyday of SPE (Solar Power Everywhere) and IAF (Ion's Ain't Feeble).

RZJDPVp.jpg

o3QWbwi.jpg

PcphEEO.jpg

Well, this would be rockets with wings... and the evolution followed the game's evolution and my evolution playing it with mods...

Very pic heavy, so all done with the spoiler tags:

Spoiler

My first attempt at a heavy cargo SSTO that had some success, with a payload that wa sa duna flag and footprints mission:

1957798_10102506321827793_636161842_o.jp

1891452_10102506322172103_1122623981_o.j

A larger design with a higher capacity:

1781709_10102522555220943_38363739_o.jpg

10329983_10102629792207163_8775879215452

And another design, this one seems to be from .23.5 due to incorporating LFBs:

10317784_10102629791134313_1130569234148

10862442_10103206068464923_7963277512384

Then... .24 or so, when I heard they were going to incorporate Porkjets' space plane plus mod, I think I also installed NEAR (which was similar in many ways to the aero overhaul of 1.0)

10900231_10103301732917593_4803744341426

10333270_10102995132033223_2768149624041

payload at duna just fyi:

10845852_10103383186214533_1729500212287

Some of my First SSTOs after 1.0 dropped:

11032221_10103550674651363_2148940416804

11182644_10103556941956633_1119159342110

A later SSTO design:

1598822_10103614966819343_81509439106479

And after some aero changes, and the big airliner wings wouldn't survive reentry anymore

FOfPjuO.png

Cleaned up the design a bit more:

BJLhFLs.png

And... then I went to a 3x system, and while that served as the starting point for my 3x SSTOs (with dramatically reduced payload fraction), they underwent their own evolution... I'll just show the more or less current state:

BO3eeWk.png

DDhRJ8N.png

GTMcIEL.png

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

This of course was in the heyday of SPE (Solar Power Everywhere) and IAF (Ion's Ain't Feeble).

Well, yea In the early days solar power didn't drop of very rapidly at all (definitely not following an r^2 law), but do you remember when their thrust was only 0.5 kN. It wa s quite a big buff when they were increased to 2 kN.

You really needed patience when they had just 0.5 kN of thrust.

Unfortunately, all my really early rocket images were on my Photobucket -- that account was deleted when Photobucket started asking $400/yr to share images with the world.  The oldest I have in my Imgur are from Jeb's first orbital mission in my current career -- Explorer III.

x9Ea8ec.png

Common 1.25m rocket, solid boosters and core, Swivel upper stage, dependent on batteries and the Swivel's alternator for electric power (hence, no successful science transmission, as the internal batteries in a Mk.1 Command Pod are insufficient to transmit even temperature and pressure logs (makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is).

Later, there was the spaceplane era (vertically boosted spaceplanes, like graceful and fragile versions of Dyna-Soar or Space Shuttle):

nLQIGX5.png

With a little stretching of the orbiter, and adjustment of the aerodynamics, combined with multi-pass aerobraking, derivatives of this vehicle went on Munar flyby and orbit missions -- even one attempt at landing, which would likely have been successful if drop tanks had been added to increase terminal fuel capacity.

Eventually, tourist contracts took this spaceplane family to its end point: two at once.

cxHeEA4.png

That ridiculous outgrowth, coupled with the failure of the Munar landing attempt with one of these orbiters, and the one death so far (a pilot whose cockpit exploded attempting reentry in an overstretched version) was the end of the spaceplane era; after that, the program returned to conventional vertical launch, expendable vehicles -- like the Space Shuttle, too little of the Taxicab spaceplane family was reusable to gain much on the funds side, and by then the space program was profitable enough that reliability was more important than purported reusability.

Not really much to see after this -- direct launch Mun and Minmus landers, everyone has seen those.

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

2 hours ago, Zeiss Ikon said:

a pilot whose cockpit exploded attempting reentry in an overstretched version

Shortly after reentry heating became a thing, I basically retired the mk-1 cockpit from orbital designs. In one step in the evolution of my spaceplanes, you can see the old mk1 cockpit, but I got rid of it.

I do sometimes add a mk1 inline cockpit to my heavy cargo designs, like if I'm playing with plasma blackout on, and want to be able to control it during reentry. The mk-1 inline cockpit can handle reentry fairly well (higher heat tolerance, it will have something in front of it taking theb runt of the heating)... but I really consider the mk-1 cockpit to be only for suborbital use on Kerbin.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:05 PM, KerikBalm said:

I do sometimes add a mk1 inline cockpit to my heavy cargo designs, like if I'm playing with plasma blackout on, and want to be able to control it during reentry. The mk-1 inline cockpit can handle reentry fairly well (higher heat tolerance, it will have something in front of it taking theb runt of the heating)... but I really consider the mk-1 cockpit to be only for suborbital use on Kerbin.

At the time I designed and built the Taxicab family of spaceplanes, my career didn't yet have the Mk. 1 Inline Cockpit; in fact, the only command modules I had were the Mk. 1 Command Pod (the original Mercury capsule analog) and the Mk. 1 Cockpit (the one made from cardboard and tinfoil, that would burn up if you looked at it cross eyed).  Heck, I built the Taxicab spaceplanes with parachute recovery because I didn't have retractable landing gear until the last couple missions -- and I'd just barely gotten landing legs above the toothpick size when I attempted a Mun landing in one of them.

I had gotten into the habit of using 60 km periapsis multipass aerobraking on Munar return after the first few tests brought home just how fragile the Mk. 1 Cockpit is -- get the Ap down under 200 km, and I could prevent anything important from melting on the actual landing reentry.  With the canard "deployed" and some RCS to assist the reaction wheel, it was possible to keep the craft in a deep stall that slowed down most efficiently and spread the heat to more tolerant components, until it was slow enough to enter a normal glide.

Nowadays (still in same career -- don't have tens of hours a week to play), I'm flying stuff like this Module Lifter III:

PX1WsBy.png

There's 6400 units of Lf/O (and a Mk. 1-3) inside that fairing, bound for Minmus Station Alpha.  Usually winds up having to borrow about 800 units to make rendezvous, but Minmus capture is assured without touching the cargo.  Now that the station's been accepted (contract completed) I'm thinking about setting up a mining/fuel conversion operation to use Minmus as a stepping stone for Duna/Ike/Gilly landings and a visit to Dres.  Which, I suspect, is what the "build a station around Minmus" contract is about...

Edited by Zeiss Ikon

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.