[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

Is the mod deprecated? Am only getting a window, with no options. Can't even move the window. Shift+L also does nothing except change my stage light from flashing green to purple.
Linux 1.12.3.3173 RSS RO RP-1 (express, no flair)
All listed dependencies installed, unless there's something new that I missed.Screenshot_from_2024-01-06_04-46-57.png?

[EXC 04:54:09.795] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.SDLUpdateState () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.Update () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)
[EXC 04:54:09.820] DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.InitializeSDL () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.SDLController.EnumerateControllers () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.IController.EnumerateAllControllers () (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	KSPAdvancedFlyByWire.AdvancedFlyByWire.DoMainWindow (System.Int32 index) (at <97996bf3d2eb4703b5059344158b71d1>:0)
	UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.GUI+WindowFunction func, System.Int32 id, System.Int32 instanceID, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, System.Int32 forceRect, System.Single width, System.Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) (at <e617217aa15744b7b9ef96dc4ee58c67>:0)
	UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
	UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

I have libSDL2-2.0 installed via apt; when trying for *2-2.14, says

E: Unable to locate package libSDL2-2.14
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libSDL2-2.14'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libSDL2-2.14'

Edited by camaeleontis
log, version

• 2 weeks later...

I've made a nice set of navball icons that are intended for use with external display-keypads, and relies on this mod as a dependency for mapping those functions to keybindings that are not available in stock. More information available here:

I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to install. I followed the three different guides available, I went through the forums and found out that I'm supposed to have DLL files moved somewhere, yet they aren't already anywhere to move from. I found AdvancedFlyByWire.dll and XInputDotNetPure.dll, but no SDL2 or XInputInterface. I don't see anywhere in the guides even mentioning needing to manually install anything else other than the two listed dependency mods. I found joystick, input-utils, and jstest which are supposed to have one or both of those somewhere, but how do I make them available to use for the program?

3 hours ago, camaeleontis said:

I'm not understanding what I'm supposed to install. I followed the three different guides available, I went through the forums and found out that I'm supposed to have DLL files moved somewhere, yet they aren't already anywhere to move from. I found AdvancedFlyByWire.dll and XInputDotNetPure.dll, but no SDL2 or XInputInterface. I don't see anywhere in the guides even mentioning needing to manually install anything else other than the two listed dependency mods. I found joystick, input-utils, and jstest which are supposed to have one or both of those somewhere, but how do I make them available to use for the program?

Use CKAN  to install it.  CKAN will install necessary dependencies

On 1/19/2024 at 6:53 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Use CKAN  to install it.  CKAN will install necessary dependencies

So, I decided to switch to Arch from PopOS!, because Linux Hardware suggested improved compatibility with my FCS. After installing SDL2, installing a fresh copy of the game, installing CKAN, installing Express Rp-1 & the FBW mod, and launching the game, I saw no change:

Screenshot_from_2024-01-21_00-50-56.png?
I tried tinkering with the UI scaling to see if that would do anything, but no help. The window is pinned to that location and I cannot manipulate it in any way.
After looking through KSP.log, I found that still:

DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14

The SDL version that was installed automatically by pacman was sdl2-2.28.5-1, so I found:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2020/12/22/extra/os/x86_64/sdl2-2.0.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

which is hopefully the correct version. After trying to test again, I got the same result as the above image, so no change. It is supposedly the correct version, but I guess the name of it is what's causing issues. Looking for libSDL2-2.so, I found libSDL2-2.0.so.0, as a link to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2800.5. They already existed in ~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/usr/lib. I'm guessing I can just copy the files over somewhere? Or where do I go from here?

While looking for where to potentially copy the files, I found additional copies in /lib/libSDL2-2.0.so, as a link to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0. I found a CMAKE file, if that helps, somehow.

Screenshot_from_2024-01-21_02-48-10.png?
I decided to make a copy of the file libSDL2-2.0.so and rename the copy as libSDL 2-2.so to fully conform with the guide. After testing, I still get the same result; a pinned window and an error saying DLLNotFound. My guess is there's either a pathing issue somewhere or it's still the incorrect version.

Edited by camaeleontis

9 hours ago, camaeleontis said:

So, I decided to switch to Arch from PopOS!, because Linux Hardware suggested improved compatibility with my FCS. After installing SDL2, installing a fresh copy of the game, installing CKAN, installing Express Rp-1 & the FBW mod, and launching the game, I saw no change:

I tried tinkering with the UI scaling to see if that would do anything, but no help. The window is pinned to that location and I cannot manipulate it in any way.
After looking through KSP.log, I found that still:

DllNotFoundException: libSDL2-2.14

The SDL version that was installed automatically by pacman was sdl2-2.28.5-1, so I found:

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2020/12/22/extra/os/x86_64/sdl2-2.0.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

which is hopefully the correct version. After trying to test again, I got the same result as the above image, so no change. It is supposedly the correct version, but I guess the name of it is what's causing issues. Looking for libSDL2-2.so, I found libSDL2-2.0.so.0, as a link to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.2800.5. They already existed in ~/.steam/bin32/steam-runtime/usr/lib. I'm guessing I can just copy the files over somewhere? Or where do I go from here?

While looking for where to potentially copy the files, I found additional copies in /lib/libSDL2-2.0.so, as a link to libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0. I found a CMAKE file, if that helps, somehow.

Screenshot_from_2024-01-21_02-48-10.png?
I decided to make a copy of the file libSDL2-2.0.so and rename the copy as libSDL 2-2.so to fully conform with the guide. After testing, I still get the same result; a pinned window and an error saying DLLNotFound. My guess is there's either a pathing issue somewhere or it's still the incorrect version.

It would have helped if you have done the following:

1.  Provided a Player.log
  2. Mentioned that you were using Linux

I am not a mind reader.  99% of people play on Windows, how am I or anyone else supposed to know that you are using Linux?

Since I'm not using Linux with the game, at this point I can't really help at this time, maybe someone else can help

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It would have helped if you have done the following:

1.  Provided a Player.log
  2. Mentioned that you were using Linux

I am not a mind reader.  99% of people play on Windows, how am I or anyone else supposed to know that you are using Linux?

I mentioned Linux in my first, second, and third posts and excerpted the important aspects of Player.log. Trying to copy the .log file into the forums spiked my RAM, so I gave you the important bits.

Linux 1.12.3.3173 RSS RO RP-1 (express, no flair)

joystick, input-utils, and jstest

explicitly mentioned along with the kernel modules I loaded.

Since I'm not using Linux with the game, at this point I can't really help at this time, maybe someone else can help

Reverting to 1.8.3.3 fixed it, as mentioned by The-Grim-Sleeper. 1.8.3.4+ are using the incorrect file name for SDL2. Everything in 1.8.3.3 is working as intended. I haven't encountered any issues with that version, so far.

Edited by camaeleontis
grammar, formatting

At this point I feel the need to mention a few things.

First, mod authors are actually just people.  They have lives outside of making mods.  They are not paid, their work is a labor of love which they choose to share with the KSP community.  At no charge to anyone.

Second, new forum members may not always know how to properly request assistance.  That's ok!  

Third, not everyone is perfect like myself :rolleyes:, sometimes people have bad days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Re the libSDL issue:

I had the same issue as reported earlier in the thread on Debian Bullseye. Empty dialogues, no controller, KSP.log full of errors loading the libSDL2-2-14 library. (I'm using AFBW 1.8.4.1.) I determined that the correct SDL2 library is present in the Debian repos, but the AFBW package attempts to load it under a different name than is standard for Debian (and probably Ubuntu and all apt based systems, I would expect.).

So I got AFBW working as follows:

1) I installed the libSDL2 package using apt (this installs libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0 -- this is the correct version of the library, just named differently).

2) I created a symlink to the library using the name AFBW attempts to load (ln -s libSDL2-2.0.so.0.14.0 libSDL2-2.14 in in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu).

... thereafter, the plugin works fine.

... echoing others: AFBW is an excellent plugin. I appreciate the dev's work here. And it's a pretty easy fix.