[1.12.x] AFBW Revived (Joystick & controller mod)

On 1/4/2023 at 10:03 AM, Cerious said:

Im on Windows 11, everything seems working just fine, the only problem appears to be the inability to hold a action group using my Hotas X52. Im pulling the trigger but the action group is only activated for a brief moment of time, making me unable to hold an action group with the trigger. It works with my keyboard though. Any Advice?

I'm not sure if that can be done at this time.  I'd have to do some digging into it later, but for now, I believe the buttons are set up to be an instant and not contineous

May be working on the keyboard because the keyboard repeats the button, that's outside the mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 1/6/2023 at 4:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure if that can be done at this time.  I'd have to do some digging into it later, but for now, I believe the buttons are set up to be an instant and not contineous

May be working on the keyboard because the keyboard repeats the button, that's outside the mod

Thanks for the reply!

My Xbox one controller is starting to fail its buttons so I decided to buy a dualsense to play on the PC for a change for the added features and start using steam input for the first time to have some more advanced controls (Mainly using the trackpad and gyro). However steam input is bugged with KSP, the axis assignment won't stick and rudder is treated as different axis if I play with cable and emulated DS4 controller. This mod saved me and the ability to use modifier is a godsend. First time I can actually use camera controls with the joypad. It is a shame however that EVA axis are missing, I had to remap the controls for hardcoded keyboard keys instead. Any plans on adding the missing axis and buttons? Thanks a lot. 

Sadly, it seems that this mod and the supporting/dependencies are not yet working with v1.12.5 (coincidentally, was recently made free on edit: Epic). I'm loving it, but sort of desperately want to be able to use my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro (goodwill find!) to control my flights. Is anyone else having this issue and/or am I just missing something?

Edited by BodyHacking
Incorrectly identified Steam vs Epic

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome mod!! I do have one issue though. I am using buttons to control RCS translations. I would like it to work like the keyboard - any press gives you 100% RCS in the desired direction. However, my button assignments don't behave impulsively like that. They only seem to throttle up the RCS in whichever direction you press. In essence, I have to hold the button down to slowly accelerate in any direction and then let go. I want full RCS thrust with every button click exactly like the stock keyboard behavior. Any help would be great! Thank you!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for keeping this mod up-to-date.

I have tried installing via CKAN and Github, and both installs don't work.  I load the game, get into a flight scene, and open the AFBW gui.  I can click and scroll with the mouse, but as soon as I touch the joystick (regardless of which part of the AFBW gui is open) my game completely freezes and I have to quit using windows.  

Here is the Player.log...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17iwzt2Ffh3v__wJeVvRxGaoIPmwuqhiM/view?usp=share_link

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• 1 month later...

Hello, please someone can help me with this?
I bough the logitech "Heavy Equipment Side Panel" to play KSP. Then I tried to link the buttons to actions in KSP but some of them are not recogniced by KSP (they work in Windows).

I thought that maybe this mod could be the solution, so I installed it:

I copied the SDL2.dll and XInputInterface.dll in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program" folder, and the ksp-advanced-flybywire folder inside "GameData" folder. I think that is what is described in the instructions, but the mod does not work.

Is the only mod I have installed, and did nothing more. I'm playing the latest version of KSP at may 2023 with both expansions.

Could anyone guess what I'm doing wrong / missing?

Thank you

7 hours ago, Nanoc said:

Hello, please someone can help me with this?
I bough the logitech "Heavy Equipment Side Panel" to play KSP. Then I tried to link the buttons to actions in KSP but some of them are not recogniced by KSP (they work in Windows).

I thought that maybe this mod could be the solution, so I installed it:

I copied the SDL2.dll and XInputInterface.dll in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program" folder, and the ksp-advanced-flybywire folder inside "GameData" folder. I think that is what is described in the instructions, but the mod does not work.

Is the only mod I have installed, and did nothing more. I'm playing the latest version of KSP at may 2023 with both expansions.

Could anyone guess what I'm doing wrong / missing?

Thank you

You probably don't have the dependencies installed.

I'd suggest first removing it, then installing CKAN and installing the mod using CKAN, which will make sure all the dependencies are properly installed

Beyond that, no logs, no support

On 5/7/2023 at 7:42 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

You probably don't have the dependencies installed.

I'd suggest first removing it, then installing CKAN and installing the mod using CKAN, which will make sure all the dependencies are properly installed

Beyond that, no logs, no support

Thank you, I used CKAN and then it worked. Something was missing before. Thanks for your help

• 2 months later...

Hi, i was setting my xbox controller in AFBW mod setting page. I want to set left/right triger as roll setting. How can i make it true please?

Another question please, I can't save the right (axis) setting when i set my xbox controller in kerbal main menu setting . But still, left settings (button settings) can save as normal. When I restart the game, axis settings will be lose. Do you know why please? 

My English is not good ,sorry for that (

7 hours ago, NightLoad said:

Hi, i was setting my xbox controller in AFBW mod setting page. I want to set left/right triger as roll setting. How can i make it true please?

Another question please, I can't save the right (axis) setting when i set my xbox controller in kerbal main menu setting . But still, left settings (button settings) can save as normal. When I restart the game, axis settings will be lose. Do you know why please? 

This sounds like  a limitation of KSP.  I don't have an XBox controller, so I can't do anything.   I do have an old MS controller for pc which looks like an xbox controller, I'll see if I can replicate this, but it will take a few days

thank you for answer. In AFBWmod, if i can set left/right trigger as roll, left axis X as yaw. left axis Y as pitch ,it will be very nice. But unfortunately, i cant set left/right trigger as  roll. Hopping you can fix it ,please. thank you again~

22 hours ago, NightLoad said:

Got a chance to look at this, I realized I misread some of what you wrote.

First, KSP doesn't support most controllers, especially if they are using DirectInput (that includes the XBox controller)

To set the left trigger, you need to realize that the trigger is most likely seen as an axis (ie:  not a simple on/off).   And, the roll setting is only a single input.  So, since you have two triggers, you can't directly use them as inputs for roll

You would need to use an outside software package, such as Universal Control Remapper  (https://github.com/snoothy/ucr/wiki) which can remap an axis to a button, once you do that, you could then use ABFW to map that button to what you want

As you say, triggers are most like a axis. In kerbal, i can pitch fast, pitch slow, or yaw fast, slow. But in AFBW, I cannot roll fast, roll slow. The original roll set is LB/RB+X,I think it's not good, it's a mistake

Thank you for reply my question, thanks a lot

9 hours ago, NightLoad said:

As you say, triggers are most like a axis. In kerbal, i can pitch fast, pitch slow, or yaw fast, slow. But in AFBW, I cannot roll fast, roll slow. The original roll set is LB/RB+X,I think it's not good, it's a mistake

Thank you for reply my question, thanks a lot

No, you are thinking that roll is two axises.  It's not, it's a single axis.  You can set a single trigger to control the roll left and right, with the center being neutral, but what you are asking for is to have the left trigger roll to the left, and the right trigger roll to the right.

Can't be done, not with this mod, not with the UCR utility I mentioned earlier.  You want to combine two axis to be as one

Sorry

1 hour ago, NightLoad said:

Thank you for your patient to answer my question. If kerbal space program 's setting page can save my axis settings, i will not to cost a lot of time to use other mods. Thank you again : )

I was thinking, it's possible thatUCR can merge two acus into one, I'll take a look and let you know

1 hour ago, NightLoad said:

Thank you for your patient to answer my question. If kerbal space program 's setting page can save my axis settings, i will not to cost a lot of time to use other mods. Thank you again : )

Ok, I just looked, Universal Control Remapper DOES have the ability to merge two axis into one output axis.

You can get it here:  https://github.com/Snoothy/UCR (license is MIT), it's free

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Claas2008 said:

ibYp58O.png

Why does this happen?
I've never played modded KSP before, so I have no clue if I did something wrong or if there is something wrong with the mod.

First, no logs, no support.

Second, how did you install it?

Third, if you installed by hand, did you install the dependencies?

• 2 months later...

I'm running into issues configuring for flight sim quadrants. They have selector switches such they have virtual buttons in which remain held pressed according to each switch position. That means any button or axis I try to configure AFBW thinks it's supposed to be assigned to the combination of all buttons pressed at the time including all selector switch states,  making the selector switches useless and the controller only works at all when all selector switches are in the same position as it was when configuring until I manually edit the config files to remove the buttons I don't want from each combination. Could there be a fix such it only reads the inputs activated after opening the window to set the input?

Edited by Jack Mcslay

On 11/26/2023 at 12:10 PM, Jack Mcslay said:

I'm running into issues configuring for flight sim quadrants. They have selector switches such they have virtual buttons in which remain held pressed according to each switch position. That means any button or axis I try to configure AFBW thinks it's supposed to be assigned to the combination of all buttons pressed at the time including all selector switch states,  making the selector switches useless and the controller only works at all when all selector switches are in the same position as it was when configuring until I manually edit the config files to remove the buttons I don't want from each combination. Could there be a fix such it only reads the inputs activated after opening the window to set the input?

probably not, but this isn't anything I can fix without the hardware, sorry.  maybe someone else can

Flight sim controllers appear as normal dinput controllers precisely so developers don't have to have a large inventory of different controllers to test with, only a general knowledge of how they work. As such, the issue is easy to replicate, get a dinput controller, push and hold any button (simulates a selector switch), attempt to assign a button and then push another button. The function will be assigned to a combination of both buttons despite only one button changing state while assigning the buttons.