[1.12.x] Bob's Panic Box

linuxgurugamer

10 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

(On a side note: on CKAN Bobs Panic Box does not have it's dependencies properly set up so it does not work out of the box.)

CKAN is fixed, thanks

3 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

So I added TACSelfDestruct via CKAN to the previous vanilla test installation and updated the PanicBox manually to the newest version

What version of TACSelfDestruct?  I had to release an update for that because of an incompatibility with Bob's.

The vessels in the test where a stock "Crater Crawler" and a stock "Aeris 4A" with the TACSelfDestruct added to the wing.

After the Aeris exploded while the Crawler was active and the abort on the Aeris triggered, I waited till the explosions were over and then threw a sphere (ObjectThrower) into the Crawler and the abort on the Crawler triggered.

I don't understand.  Aeris exploded, abort on Aeris triggered.  That's good.  Then, Crawler exploded, abort on Crawler triggered.  That's also good.  

What's wrong?

That is very interesting re. the Station parts, I'll have to figure out what's going on

Sorry that it seems like I'm the one having all the errors but I have another one

No problem about that, thanks for taking the time to help

The newest version of BobsPanicBox seems to have a mod conflict with "Stockalike Station Parts Redux" or, to be more precise it's model for the stock docking port.

When I have both installed the PanicBox detects an explosion from the docking port at launch.

I've tested it with the modified vanilla and the PanicBox version 0.0.1 where the problem does not occur, logs here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rmaha7hn4dat9xc/AAASNvJYmUtFEHqyDjko9WpAa?dl=0

So what's happening is for some reason, KSP is destroying the part before everything is settled, and probably creating it also.  It may not be the mesh, it may be that it's being loaded using a MODEL rather than a simple mesh.

Regardless, Bob's should not be watching until the vessel is fully loaded, I'll get that fixed

New release, 0.0.1.2

• Fixed nullref coming from the explosion detector,caused when no vessel existed, happened during startup
  • Added check to the explosion detector to be sure flight is ready.  KSP seems to do an extra OnDestroy when launching vessels with certain parts (Stockalike Station parts Expansion Redux, the replacement for the stock docking port)

Thanks for the new version, the docking port problem seems fixed.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't understand.  Aeris exploded, abort on Aeris triggered.  That's good.  Then, Crawler exploded, abort on Crawler triggered.  That's also good.  

What's wrong?

Ok, so maybe I have not been clear enough and that one developed out of a misunderstanding so I try to be precise because there might be nothing wrong.

I was testing why someone could get a message about an abort triggered because of an explosion if there was no apparent explosion witnessed.

Based on this:

On 6/30/2018 at 5:07 PM, Gordon Dry said:

During the launch of an unmanned vessel I got this:

YorpQbb.png

But launch continued, there was nothing the Abort could trigger though ...

So there were two things that I found:

1. If a ditched stage exploded the abort was triggered on the active rest of the vessel. That's what I recreated consistently with the drop tanks and you fixed that.
  2. If a different vessel that has the PanicBox activated explodes in close proximity (within physics range) the abort is triggered on that vessel and you get the same message as if it was your vessel that's aborting so it might get confusing.

I have not thought that the second case was really an issue and just wanted to mention it so you know about it and can decide whether it is a problem.

But then you wrote:

On 7/1/2018 at 3:23 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll have to test the second case, wasn't something I considered

19 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

On 6/30/2018 at 10:30 PM, Waldwolf said:

Then I parked two different vessels next to the runway and blew up a part of one of them using the TAC SelfDestruction device with a timer while I switched to the other.

Ok.  This is why I always need log files.  These errors you are getting really sound like issues I had and dealt with during the development.  Please get me a log file, and the save files if you can.

This was an older bug.  I just set up a scenario like this, and it never happened in 10 tests

So I thought you saw that case as a problem that's why I continued testing it.

I'm sorry if you spend time on that only because I've not been clear enough.

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:
13 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

So I added TACSelfDestruct via CKAN to the previous vanilla test installation and updated the PanicBox manually to the newest version

What version of TACSelfDestruct?  I had to release an update for that because of an incompatibility with Bob's.

Yea, I've seen that just after I wrote that part on my regular modded game but then the problem with the docking port happened and I forgot about it.

So as said before this might follow a case of misunderstanding and I also recreated what I was testing completely without TACSelfDestruct but just in case CKAN-history shows that I installed version "1:1.6.7" which is as far as I can tell the most recent at the time of writing.

Again I'm sorry if I made something appear like a problem that is none and made you invest time because of it.

And just to be crystal clear I have a small story how it might get someone confused:

Spoiler

You have your rocket on the launchpad ready to launch.

You start a little fueling or maybe camera vessel from the SPH and drive it to the launchpad. As is your default Bobs Panic Box is active on that vessel and the timeout is set to a high value (the default 600s would even be enough).

You do your thing and park the vessel a little off the launchpad.

Then you switch to your rocket do your start checkups (and make sure Bobs Panic Box is active on the rocket because you have it properly set up with LES and all) and then you launch.

You drop an early fist stage (perhaps boosters for just the first few seconds. I know I have used them before) and they explode hitting the ground.

You are focused on your rocket and the explosions from the boosters are of no interest to you but get the message from Bobs Panic Box that there was an explosion on part xy and that the abort is triggered but nothing happens.

What you did not see was that your dropped stage hit that other vessel you used before and that it was it's abort that was triggered but there is no indication of that.

Edited by Waldwolf

It wasn't a waste of time, it pointed out a flaw which I fixed.

However, I  think I understand, the question is how to fix it.

I see three possibilities:

1. Only show abort messages from the active craft 

2.  Show the craft name in the abort message

3.  Dont show abort messages.  Frankly, this is easiest, those messages were put in for my development.

Any of these three are easy to do.  What would your preference be?

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What would your preference be?

Well I do like the message actually if they come from my active vessel. Easily spotting why the abort is triggered and knowing what exactly just went kaboom helps a lot in my opinion.

My preference would be to have different messages whether it was on the active vessel or not.

So my suggestion in detail would be:

1. Leave the message for the PanicBox triggering on the active vessel as is.
  2. If the PanicBox triggers on an inactive vessel don't use red but the default green-yellow and add the name of the vessel at the beginning of the message.

If that is not possible or too difficult I would prefer to have a message with the name of the vessel at the beginning so I do know exactly what just happened.

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.0.1.3

• Changed messages to reflect where the abort was.  If on active vessel, will be in red, otherwise will be in yellow
  • Reformatted messages to fix on single lines

That's really great!

And... yea, I found another thing you might wanna look into.

It's about the "Delay post-abort until safe for chutes" option. Maybe it works a little too good.

The two things I'm concerned about are:

1. When the abort triggered and the PanicBox waits for the "safe for chutes" there is no indication whatsoever that it is still active and doing something. Like a message that stays or an indicator in the menu.
  2. Once the abort is triggered there is no way to cancel the after-abort action even if you want to. It would be nice to have a flag for that in the menu.

So I found out about this when I launched a rocket without control (no autopilot or SAS and hands off the keyboard except for launch and staging once). To my surprise the launch was quite successful. The rocket even tilted just the right amount for a really smooth launch. Then, after the second stage was empty and just before leaving the atmosphere the rocket suddenly turned sideway and Bobs Panic Box triggered the abort because of AoA. The LES fired and took the capsule out of danger and atmosphere. I was curious whether the after-abort would trigger so I waited. The capsule reached an apoapsis of over 1000 km it was a long trip and when it came back the after-abort triggered when it was once again safe for the chutes.

So I tested this more today. When the abort is triggered after leaving the atmosphere there is nothing to stop the after-abort to trigger on reaching "safe for chutes" on reentry.

So far I've tested:

• Doing an EVA and board again.
  • Switching to another vessel via map, drive around for a bit and then switch back to the capsule via map.
  • Switching to the space center then to the tracking station and time warp until the capsule is on it's way down, then switch back to the capsule.
  • Switch the Active flag in the menu.
  • Switch the "Delay post-abort until safe for chutes" flag in the menu.

For all tests I reached an altitude higher then set for the "disable at altitude" and a time after the timeout before doing the tests.

Working as designed.  Once an abort is triggered, all other checks stop, and, if there are chutes and its not safe for the chute to deploy, it will wait until it is.  

The abort is an automatic sequence.  Can't be stopped once started.  Period.

It shouldn't matter if you leave the atmosphere or not (actually, exceeding the maxAltitude).  If the abort is triggered BEFORE exceeding the altitude, it's active.  Period.

2 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

For all tests I reached an altitude higher then set for the "disable at altitude" and a time after the timeout before doing the tests.

Please confirm that an abort was triggered BEFORE you started each test, not totally clear from your description

Question about the messages:

On all the messages, I have BPB as part of the message.  Do you think I should remove that?

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Working as designed.  Once an abort is triggered, all other checks stop, and, if there are chutes and its not safe for the chute to deploy, it will wait until it is.  

The abort is an automatic sequence.  Can't be stopped once started.  Period.

It shouldn't matter if you leave the atmosphere or not (actually, exceeding the maxAltitude).  If the abort is triggered BEFORE exceeding the altitude, it's active.  Period.

Well if that is how you want it I'll live with it... or rather my kerbals when they are saved by the PanicBox.

But I often enjoy playing somewhat real-time and if that capsule needs more than half an hour to touch the atmosphere I'll have two launches, one docking maneuver and a rover mission in between.

Heck I could even exit the game an come back a week or month later (yes, the after-abort persists. I just tested it) or I could catch the capsule in orbit if it gets close enough to a another vessel.

I know I will someday have forgotten that the after-abort still lingers in the dark waiting for it's time.

I understand that aborting an automatic abort sequence should not be a thing in your mod but well I wish there was that warning light somewhere that Jeb ignores telling me that the after-abort will come eventually.

Please confirm that an abort was triggered BEFORE you started each test, not totally clear from your description

I knew that would come up when I proofread my post for the 10th time after I posted it. (And yes, I proofread it 20 times before I posted it in case you are wondering)

Yes. I can confirm that the abort was always triggered BEFORE I started the test.

I launched the rocket. MaxAltitude at 75km, timeout at 180s.

I threw a sphere into the rocket at around 70km and then waited until after the timeout. Just in case the Box would check those when I switched the vessels.

Then I tested whether any of the actions I took would cancel the after-abort one by one.

On all the messages, I have BPB as part of the message.  Do you think I should remove that?

I don't know what you mean by that. That you write BPB into the message? In that case... there is no BPB on my test version of the game with version 0.0.1.3 of BobsPanicBox. 

At least not in the explosion or AoA abort messages.

I see, the AoA and the explosion detector don't have it, so I'll remove it from the others.

I suppose I could make the button flash if an abort is triggered, do you think that would be good?  It would only refer to the active vessel

Now that I'm thinking about it, how about, if the button is flashing, clicking it would terminate the abort sequence?

If I do that, it would only terminate the abort sequence on the active vessel

Let me know

Flashing the toolbar button would be a possibility but as you gave us the option not to use the button for the PanicBox I thought you knew that some of us have so many mods in their regular modded game that the last thing they want is another button in the toolbar that they usually only use at launch.

And if you haven't guessed I'm not using the toolbar button but the one on the PAW - a great option by the way - and I don't think you can make that flash?

Also clicking the button to immediately terminate the abort sequence would mean that that you can not just open the menu to check what you set up.

In fact I just found out that you can actually "cancel" the after-abort, just not quite so obvious.

If enabled in the settings you can change the options in flight. That means you can also just open the window and set the "Trigger action after abort" to "None" even if the after-abort is armed and waiting.

59 minutes ago, Waldwolf said:

Flashing the toolbar button would be a possibility but as you gave us the option not to use the button for the PanicBox I thought you knew that some of us have so many mods in their regular modded game that the last thing they want is another button in the toolbar that they usually only use at launch.

And if you haven't guessed I'm not using the toolbar button but the one on the PAW - a great option by the way - and I don't think you can make that flash?

Also clicking the button to immediately terminate the abort sequence would mean that that you can not just open the menu to check what you set up.

In fact I just found out that you can actually "cancel" the after-abort, just not quite so obvious.

If enabled in the settings you can change the options in flight. That means you can also just open the window and set the "Trigger action after abort" to "None" even if the after-abort is armed and waiting.

I'm thinking along these lines:

After an abort, the button will flash (either or both buttons)"

• Click the button once to acknowledge the abort
  • Click it a second time to disable the abort.
  • If you want to edit it in flight after an abort, use the PAW button

The way I play, is to put the real-time buttons into the Blizzy toolbar (Science Alert, Bob's Panic Box), and all other buttons on the stock.  Other than flashing the button, I'm not sure what else I can do without being too intrusive into the game.  But I'm open to suggestions

That's one of the things I really like about KSP and the mods. Everybody can play the way they want.

The way I play, is to use the stock toolbar only and hide or disable all buttons I don't absolutely need all the time in a scene using The Janitor's Closet.

I've tried the Blizzy toolbar when it was quite new but I didn't like it so I've actually never tried it again. Maybe I should.

Having thought about it since I mentioned that there is no indication, I also have no better idea than flashing the buttons as of yet.

Edited by Waldwolf

51 minutes ago, Waldwolf said:

That's one of the things I really like about KSP and the mods. Everybody can play the way they want.

The way I play, is to use the stock toolbar only and hide or disable all buttons I don't absolutely need all the time in a scene using The Janitor's Closet.

I've tried the Blizzy toolbar when it was quite new but I didn't like it so I've actually never tried it again. Maybe I should.

Having thought about it since I mentioned that there is no indication, I also have no better idea than flashing the buttons as of yet.

Are you aware that the ToolbarController can control where the buttons appear, for those mods which use it?  Click the yellow wrench to configure.

Don't forget, if you specify the Blizzy toolbar for one or more mods, you will need to tell the Blizzy toolbar which ones it should display;  the Blizzy toolbar is capable of showing multiple toolbars, read the docs for that

Are you aware that the ToolbarController can control where the buttons appear, for those mods which use it?  Click the yellow wrench to configure.

Don't forget, if you specify the Blizzy toolbar for one or more mods, you will need to tell the Blizzy toolbar which ones it should display;  the Blizzy toolbar is capable of showing multiple toolbars, read the docs for that

Yes I am aware of that and it's a reason why I consider testing the Blizzy toolbar again.

I also remember that the Blizzy toolbar needs to be configured but thanks for the help.

New release, 0.0.1.4

• Cleaned up the on-screen messages a bit
  • Added button flashing when abort is active on active vessel
    • Click the button to acknowledge the abort, button will stay red
    • Click a second time to cancel the post-abort sequence, button will go back to normal
  • Changed disableAtAltitude to disableAtAltitudeKm
  • Added new disableAtAltitude, always set to 1000 * disableAtAltitudeKm, to avoid doing multiplication during flight
  • Added check for changed data, if no data changed in window, Apply button is now disabled
  • Added button to window in flight to Acknowledge and Disable  abort, for when an abort happens
  • Abort sequence now disables if no control source
7 hours ago, qualityshrimps said:

Just had an issue with the automatic abort firing in Minmus orbit right after a quickload. I know for sure I checked the "disable BPB after altitude/timer" option, so this shouldn't happen.

See link for save, modlist, and error log.

https://ufile.io/r8zvm

mirror:

http://www.filedropper.com/bugreportkspbpbqualityshrimps

While I appreciate the log, it's the wrong one.  I need the output_log.txt, see this post on where it is:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

No offense, but you have way too many mods installed for me to even attempt to recreate your build.

You have 6 quicksaves, I wouldn't even know which one to look at.

So, a few questions:

1.  Was Bob's added before the flight began, or was the mod added after the flight was in progress?

2.  Do you have Hyperedit installed?

3.  Did you use the cheat menu to get the vessel in orbit?

4.  What was the vessel's name, and was it a unique name?

If you can identify which quicksave it was and the vessel name, I might be able to look at the file and see the status of Bob's before you loaded it

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.0.1.4

• Cleaned up the on-screen messages a bit
  • Added button flashing when abort is active on active vessel
    • Click the button to acknowledge the abort, button will stay red
    • Click a second time to cancel the post-abort sequence, button will go back to normal
  • Changed disableAtAltitude to disableAtAltitudeKm
  • Added new disableAtAltitude, always set to 1000 * disableAtAltitudeKm, to avoid doing multiplication during flight
  • Added check for changed data, if no data changed in window, Apply button is now disabled
  • Added button to window in flight to Acknowledge and Disable  abort, for when an abort happens
  • Abort sequence now disables if no control source

While I appreciate the log, it's the wrong one.  I need the output_log.txt, see this post on where it is:

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

No offense, but you have way too many mods installed for me to even attempt to recreate your build.

You have 6 quicksaves, I wouldn't even know which one to look at.

So, a few questions:

1.  Was Bob's added before the flight began, or was the mod added after the flight was in progress?

2.  Do you have Hyperedit installed?

3.  Did you use the cheat menu to get the vessel in orbit?

4.  What was the vessel's name, and was it a unique name?

If you can identify which quicksave it was and the vessel name, I might be able to look at the file and see the status of Bob's before you loaded it

Sorry, first time doing a bug report. Let me try to address all of your points.

The Log

Here's a copy of my output_log from my AppData:

https://ufile.io/psoal

http://www.filedropper.com/outputlog

With that said, assuming that log resets every time the game launches it may not be useful to you. After I encountered the bug, I zipped that initial folder ("bugreport_KSP_BPB_qualityshrimps.7z"), submitted my initial post, removed Bob's, relaunched KSP, and kept playing. I'm not a modder but I took a look at that output_log file and the only mention I can find of Bob's was module manager noting that it was removed from the game.

The Mods & The Quicksave

Yes, I know I have a lot of mods. I suspect it may have to do with the ALCOR mod, since I was getting some funky behavior right before Bob's acted up. Specifically, what happened was I began to undock my Minmus lander (ALCOR pod, DMagic science, ProceduralFuelTanks, SurfaceLights) from my command pod (just ProceduralTanks and SurfaceLights) when the game hung up for a few seconds, then killed the crew leaving me with two unmanned vessels undocked. I'm guessing that has nothing to do with Bob's, but in any case I reloaded my F9 unnamed quicksave (which I assume is just the quicksave.sfs). When the game loads back in, Bob's freaks out and fires the remaining functions of my abort group (jettison pod, arm chutes). Removing Bob's, then loading this F9 unnamed quicksave solved the issue for me.

Questions

Bob's was added before the flight began.

No, I don't have hyperedit.

No, I didn't  use cheat menu.

The craft is bigboye science IIIb.craft, specifically the lander, "bigboye science IIIb Lander" in orbit around Minmus. I assume the name is unique, unless the mod truncates the name and is confusing my lander with the service module.

Summary

"bigboye science IIIb Lander" found in the F5-generated quicksave.sfs is what you're looking for

Edited by qualityshrimps
grammar & craft detail

output_log gets overwritten each time the game starts.

2 hours ago, qualityshrimps said:

"bigboye science IIIb Lander" found in the F5-generated quicksave.sfs is what you're looking for

That will be helpful.

I see.  You did an undock, and then Bob's got  unhappy. 

Ok, that should be enough to go on.  My guess is that when you undock, the new vessel's mission time is set to 0, so Bob's thinks it should be activated.

Thanks

New release, 0.0.1.5

• Fixed bug with decoupling and undocking.  After decouple or undock, new vessel had a mission time of 0, thereby sometimes reactiving the mod in deep space
  • Changed min version to be 1.4.3

My apologies to anybody on 1.4.1 or 1.4.2.  The fix for this bug required a new method which was only added for 1.4.3

@Waldwolf  This should fix your problem, please let me know

Just an FYI, CKAN still has a very early version of this (0.0.0.1). 

Found out the hard way after bashing my head against a wall trying to figure out why it isn't disabling after a time, then looked at the version numbers between here and my gamedata folder. D'oh!

1 minute ago, GrubbyZebra said:

Just an FYI, CKAN still has a very early version of this (0.0.0.1). 

Found out the hard way after bashing my head against a wall trying to figure out why it isn't disabling after a time, then looked at the version numbers between here and my gamedata folder. D'oh!

Yuck.

Did you clear the cache and refresh?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.