In memory of Neil Armstrong

why does everyone have a easy time going to mun but me? let alone get a good kerbin orbit D:<

That successful landing I showed took me about 6 hours of trial and error to build. All around my launch pad is now littered with Armstrong debris from failed attempts, and a great many attempts left the ground okay but blew up in the air or went so far off course that they ran out of fuel.

You're just seeing people's successes, many of which were based on existing proven designs that got repurposed to this. They're not showing all the failures. Because just like with the real thing, it took a great many failures for us to learn how to build a rocket that worked right. Apollo 11's success was rather amazing, because they were flying barely-proven hardware and concepts the whole way.

I flew to the mun twice today, not knowing about this, it's very sad indeed, I like that nova's made a memorial for him,

wthp6.jpg

Added to the approximate lat-long coordinates of Tranquility Base on the Mun.

He'll be remembered.

May he forever be the guiding spirit in the discovery to hour true calling as human beings. This one's for you Niel.

(I don't have a crappy PC. I've distorted the photo's a little to create an authentic look. But I'm not quite sure it worked.)

And there, after an hour and a half of solid work, Billy-Bobney Kerman (serious) stepped foot on the Mun...

7866990330_c7b610b4de_b.jpg

7866990610_3b0b1a44f3_b.jpg

7866992600_7f0f4fb0b9_b.jpg

R.I.P Neil

So, How many landings is that now?

EDIT: I've counted this one to be the 44th.

Edited by Nooblet68

why does everyone have a easy time going to mun but me? let alone get a good kerbin orbit D:<

I may be able to make it look easy now but that's only after many failed attempts that smeared several brave Kerbals across the Mun. While you may not being able to get there having that can do spirit is what this challenge is about.

An addendum to my previous post on this thread:

I've landed on the Mun several times before, with and without MechJeb, but this was my first entirely successful landing (and return) with the new .16 parts. And today, I made my first landing ever on Minmus.

th_minmus01.jpg th_minmus02.jpg th_minmus03.jpg

"Contact light!" "Shutdown. Minmus Base here, the Neil has landed."

th_minmus04.jpg th_minmus05.jpg

The hatch and ladder were originally in shadow, so Jeb decided to lift off a few meters and spin the lander with the RCS. The second touchdown was actually gentler. :)

th_minmus06.jpg

Another first in your honor, sir.

th_minmus07.jpg th_minmus08.jpg th_minmus09.jpg

Despite Jeb's insistence on checking out the distant hills, and then having Bill and Bob come pick him up when his jetpack fuel ran low, the crew returned safely to Kerbin. Splashdown was just short of 7 days and 10 hours after they began their odyssey.

Edited by Commander Zoom

Unfortunately due to work I was unable to do a mission when i found out, but I'm also putting together a mun mission as tribute to Neil Armstrong now. As a side note I actually completed my first successful mission to minmus the other night(Sat 25Aug). I guess I had Mr. Armstrong looking down on the mission.

oL9Fal.png

I made my first landing on Minimus last night. I've never tried before because it seemed too hard, but Neil did things because they are hard.

This screenie reminded me of his quote "I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."

134ba214dd4d5262d52d28c78f51f629dd79a9e532774fedb86597ceae698a4a4g.jpg

While I've been a long time follower of the game and player of the original base game (Before the Mun got added) I had yet to buy it. I was planning on waiting for the 0.17 patch, but when I heard the news this Saturday, I decided I'd get it a little early and go to the moon... I'm pleased to see this thread had the same idea I did. So here is my contribution.

gN7pNl.jpg

I spent hours trying to get that flag to decouple upright, including messing around with editing quicksaves and parts files, didn't get it to work. When it finally landed upside down, but standing, I figured "well, thats the KSP charm I guess?" and flipped the texture around.

I checked, and so far we have 38 Munar landing entries (6 of which trying to recreate more accurately the Apollo-11 mission) and 4 other contributions. That is, a total of 48 entries!

That's awesome :)

A seat for those who didn't make it:

Valentin Bondarenko

Theodore Freeman

Elliot See

Charles Bassett

Apollo 1

-Gus Grissom

-Edward White

-Roger Chaffee

Clifton Williams

Robert Lawrence

Sergei Vozovikov

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot7.png

screenshot10.png

A ship for those who didn't return:

Soyuz 1

-Vladimir Komarov

Soyuz 11

-Georgi Dobrovolski

-Viktor Patsayev

-Vladislav Volkov

Challenger

-Greg Jarvis

-Christa McAuliffe

-Ronald McNair

-Ellison Onizuka

-Judith Resnik

-Michael Smith

-Dick Scobee

Columbia

-Rick Husband

-William McCool

-Michael Anderson

-David Brown

-Kalpana Chawla

-Laurel Clark

-Ilan Ramon

screenshot11.png

screenshot15.png

screenshot16.png

In the end all will be together, let their eternal marks be heard.

Yuri Gagarin

Donald Kent

Allan Shepard

Leroy Cooper

Wally Schirra

Neil Armstrong

...and those whom are not listed

screenshot19.png

screenshot21.png

screenshot23.png

screenshot25.png

A seat for those who didn't make it:

Valentin Bondarenko

Theodore Freeman

Elliot See

Charles Bassett

Apollo 1

-Gus Grissom

-Edward White

-Roger Chaffee

Clifton Williams

Robert Lawrence

Sergei Vozovikov

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

screenshot7.png

screenshot10.png

A ship for those who didn't return:

Soyuz 1

-Vladimir Komarov

Soyuz 11

-Georgi Dobrovolski

-Viktor Patsayev

-Vladislav Volkov

Challenger

-Greg Jarvis

-Christa McAuliffe

-Ronald McNair

-Ellison Onizuka

-Judith Resnik

-Michael Smith

-Dick Scobee

Columbia

-Rick Husband

-William McCool

-Michael Anderson

-David Brown

-Kalpana Chawla

-Laurel Clark

-Ilan Ramon

screenshot11.png

screenshot15.png

screenshot16.png

In the end all will be together, let their eternal marks be heard.

Yuri Gagarin

Donald Kent

Allan Shepard

Leroy Cooper

Wally Schirra

Neil Armstrong

...and those whom are not listed

screenshot19.png

screenshot21.png

screenshot23.png

screenshot25.png

Simply beautiful, the right stuff for all those that had the Right Stuff but sadly not always not the right fate.

They are heros all, a new breed of legends, of mortals that walked as gods, to inspire our species for all time.