[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

Yeah, in GameData/Engineer there are three folders: Engineer7500, EngineerChip, and EngineerChipFlight, and the following files: BlizzyToolbarEnabled, BlizzyToolbarDisabled, Engineer.dll, EngineerToolbar.dll, KerbalEngineerRedux.version, and StockToolbar

I am having the same issue, when first installed it popped up when I placed the part but now nothing. My comp crashed a few minutes after placing the part the first time and on reboot and getting back into the game it wont work. The button shows up but no info pane, the button just toggles the craft name plate. If pointed to an output file I will upload it, not sure where it is.

Edit: The game had generated a PluginData folder, I deleted it and on reload the window is now popping up as normal. I did not check the settings in the toolbar and engineer .cfg files it held though. Sorry. If it happens again I will look at the settings and see if there is anything funny going on first.

Edit #2: My comp crashed again, doesn't seem to be overheating or anything. I'm not really sure how to search for causes but one log I could find under performance logs or something said a program had entered protected mode shortly before the crash. Whether it is connected to KSP and Engineer I am not sure. It did it with the stock KSP_x64 yesterday, before I installed Engineer so I would think its just KSP.

In terms of Engineer not opening its window on attach I checked the .cfg files and the BUILD_ENGINEER.cfg was completely blank, so I pasted the first two lines from FLIGHT_ENGINEER.cfg (window location and into the build one and reloaded the parts from the debug inside KSP. That seemed to work. How do I attach the output_log? As I found this in it

[Kethane] Error inspecting assembly 'EngineerToolbar: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.'
Edited by Punk

Glad I am not the only one this has happened to. So far it looks to me like it is not a problem of Engineer, it only stops working after the crash. My logs so far indicate that it is a problem of Kethane, but I have to look into it further.

[Kethane] Error inspecting assembly 'EngineerToolbar: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.'

This probably just indicates that you don't have Blizzy's toolbar mod installed...

As for your crashing, I doubt this has anything to do with KER as such but I'm happy to take a quick look if you can upload an output_log.txt from a run that crashed...

Well, it has a few little fixes that haven't been pulled into the official version yet (see the change log in the dev thread) so, if you currently see any problems that look related to one of the changes then, yes.

If I'm running 0.24 should I install the experimental patch?

No the regular version works fine, it's been updated for 0.24. Some stuff is a bit wonky (like stock toolbar integration but, Blizzy's works fine as ever). You will want the experimental version if you do a lot of spaceplane stuff, as that can be simulated better. This also clutters the context-menu a bit though, which is mainly a problem for those who add engineer to pods/probes (like me). I think that's all :)

Either I'm missing something, or KER doesn't currently understand decouplers correctly. Observe these three images.

In the first I have a heavy craft consisting of a science lab, a probe core, a fuel tank, and an engine. Its mass is 4203 kg, and it gets only 435 m/s delta-V.

In the second image I've separated the heavy science lab from the rest of the craft with a decoupler. Note that the decoupler is staged after the engine, so the delta-V should not have changed significantly (the decoupler's mass is tiny). However, KER now thinks it gets no delta-V at all until the science lab is decoupled, after which it will get a whopping 4271 m/s.

So it's more or less as if the science lab had not been attached in the first place, as in the third image.

Aaaand just as I say that the window keeps bugging out on me. I think I already saw a report about it, but I'll just add mine again anyway :)

Scerenshot is here.

This is an excerpt from the output_log.txt, as the whole thing is like 8 MB or something, I'm obviously not uploading that. But it mostly is that big because of these repeated GUI errors. I've just copied a chunk of random size (but starting from the beginning of these messages):

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
at Engineer.Tools.FormatSI (Double number, SIUnitType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.DrawSurface () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

ArgumentException: GUILayout: Mismatched LayoutGroup.Repaint
at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.FlightEngineer.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at Engineer.Tools.FormatSI (Double number, SIUnitType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

ScienceAlert, Observer list rebuilt

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type LayoutType) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at UnityEngine.GUILayout.BeginHorizontal (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

So it's more or less as if the science lab had not been attached in the first place, as in the third image.

This is the issue with the staging simulation that I was in the middle of fixing when 0.24 was released. Because the bit you are decoupling doesn't contain any engines or fuel KER stages it immediately which gives the results as if the science lab part isn't there.

You can work around this fairly easily by moving the decoupler to be between the probe core and fuel tank so it stays attached to the science lab. This will result in the stage decoupling the fuel tank and engine so KER will simulate it correctly (and also has the benefit that your science lab in orbit will still be controllable).

Aaaand just as I say that the window keeps bugging out on me. I think I already saw a report about it, but I'll just add mine again anyway :)

Scerenshot is here.

This is an excerpt from the output_log.txt, as the whole thing is like 8 MB or something, I'm obviously not uploading that. But it mostly is that big because of these repeated GUI errors. I've just copied a chunk of random size (but starting from the beginning of these messages):

This has already been fixed in my dev version. In this case it wasn't really necessary but, in future, if you simply zip the logfile up then it will be very much smaller, easily small enough to upload to a file sharing service of some kind...

Edited by Padishar

This is the issue with the staging simulation that I was in the middle of fixing when 0.24 was released. Because the bit you are decoupling doesn't contain any engines or fuel KER stages it immediately which gives the results as if the science lab part isn't there.

Good to hear that a fix is in the works. :)

You can work around this fairly easily by moving the decoupler to be between the probe core and fuel tank so it stays attached to the science lab. This will result in the stage decoupling the fuel tank and engine so KER will simulate it correctly (and also has the benefit that your science lab in orbit will still be controllable).

Well this was just a minimal example to show the bug. In my real craft the science lab is replaced by two multi-part probes with only sepratrons as engines, so I'm not sure if your workaround applies. I'll try it as soon as I get back from work, though; thanks!

EDIT: I couldn't really do the same thing for my craft, but adding (non-empty!) fuel tanks to the probes worked. That'll allow me to finish the design, after which I can take the tanks off again. So thanks. :)

Edited by Nolari

FYI I had the problem that the KER window didn't show up after the upgrade to .24 (despite KER icon in the Toolbar).

I had extracted the mod zips into the existing old folders, that might have caused the issue; after I deleted the folders and extracted again, it was fixed.

K been trying to keep up with all that's goin' on, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. Love KER by the way, but I think I've discovered a compatibility issue.

KER worked fine in .24 64 bit until I applied Hotrockets. It throws the dv calcs in the VAB off, only showing stage 0.

Thought you might want to know.

K been trying to keep up with all that's goin' on, so forgive me if this has been mentioned. Love KER by the way, but I think I've discovered a compatibility issue.

KER worked fine in .24 64 bit until I applied Hotrockets. It throws the dv calcs in the VAB off, only showing stage 0.

Thought you might want to know.

Can you post a craft file or at least some screenshots showing the build engineer window in "show all stages" mode and a description of what you think is wrong?

Do you know if this problem is specific to the 64 bit version?

It would also be very useful if you could upgrade to my dev version of KER from the thread linked in my sig (make sure you have 0.6.2.7 installed first and then replace the two DLLs in GameData/Engineer with the dev DLLs). Then do the following:

• Start KSP
  • Load your craft that has problems in the VAB
  • Open the tweakable on the Engineer part (or command pod if you use a Module Manager config to add KER to command pods)
  • Hit the "Log Sim" button
  • Exit the VAB and exit the game
  • Find the output_log.txt file in the KSP_Data folder and upload it somewhere (zipping it will make it very much smaller)

This should allow me to work out where the problem lies before setting up a new test KSP install with HotRockets.

Edited by Padishar

Sure will. Makes me feel useful. I'm a dumb guy when it comes to computers so i'll do my best. Not sure I can 'zip' it or where to load it but I'll redownload Hotrockets and get started, then rendezvous back here.

Imagine that, egg on the 'dumb guy's face. Props to the crew here for the rapid updating. My KER, while not having a visible version number (to a dumb guy) was dated July 18. I never imagined you'd have one version, let alone more than one version out this fast.

After upgrading to v6.2.7 I am unable to reproduce the problem.

But hey, I'm using the dev version of KER now so..

Edited by Aethon

Love the new tooltips in the VAB and I foresee the custom lists being a key feature.

In a fresh save (stock KSP 0.24, Mac 32 bit), immediately after starting a new ship with the 1.25 command pod, I get the following NREs which reoccur when starting a new vessel:

at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildAdvanced.DrawStageNumbers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildAdvanced.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at System.Double.ToString (System.String format, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Double.ToString (System.String format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlay.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at System.Double.ToString (System.String format, IFormatProvider provider) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Double.ToString (System.String format) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildOverlay.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildAdvanced.DrawStageNumbers () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at KerbalEngineer.Editor.BuildAdvanced.Window (Int32 windowId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I also saw a few instances of the patched conics renderer giving exceptions, though I don't see how they could be related to KER:

at PatchedConicRenderer.OnGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Other than that, everything looks good in terms of stability. One request: could you make the font resizeable? It's readable on my display, but only as much as the stock Flight UI, which I've switched to "Largish."

Edited by Master Tao
add SPOILER tags around NREs

I just had a weird problem that's probably not caused by 1.0 but is related to updating. Many of my saved ships have an engineer part on them from the previous version, so I can't load them in the VAB. When I try, I get the warning popup that the ship can't be loaded and then the whole VAB just stops working right. The exit button lights up but does nothing when clicked, I can click Load and see my list of ships, but can't actually load them. 'New' and 'Launch' do nothing. Since I can't exit the VAB, I have to alt-tab and kill the process.

I don't yet know if it's caused by other mods (mechjeb or KW), but just a word of warning for anyone updating. I'll probably install the old Engineer, fix my rockets, then go back to 1.0.0.0.

Many of my saved ships have an engineer part on them from the previous version, so I can't load them in the VAB.

I'll probably install the old Engineer, fix my rockets, then go back to 1.0.0.0.

That is caused by 1.0 – the Engineer Chip and Engineer Flight Chip parts were removed – @cybutek, maybe deprecate them instead? You're fix is probably easiest for saved crafts, but you can also fix crafts in flight. You'll need to open the persistence file and remove all the sections that look like this:

PART
{
name = EngineerChip
}

OR:

PART
{
name = EngineerChipFlight
}

Anyone who's better at persistence editing than me – would replacing the names with Engineer7500 work?

That is caused by 1.0 – the Engineer Chip and Engineer Flight Chip parts were removed – @cybutek, maybe deprecate them instead? You're fix is probably easiest for saved crafts, but you can also fix crafts in flight. You'll need to open the persistence file and remove all the sections that look like this:

PART
{
name = EngineerChip
}

OR:

PART
{
name = EngineerChipFlight
}

Anyone who's better at persistence editing than me – would replacing the names with Engineer7500 work?

The difference is that the old module was just called "FlightEngineer", but for clearer semantics in the code v1.0 uses "FlightEngineerModule". This should be solved by opening the persistence file and doing a find/replace "name = FlightEngineer" to "name = FlightEngineerModule".

Also the reverse will be true for going from v1.0 to v0.6.

This doesn't help for crafts that have either of the two "chip" type parts on. As they no longer exist, the crafts fail to load (and vessels in flight get deleted from the save? not sure if this still happens).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.