Lunar Eclipse January 20-21 2019

cubinator

49 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I don't see anything about pollution in there.  The answer to the question is 'Rayleigh', not 'pollution'.

*lol* There was no question. You claimed that the moons red colour has nothing to do with pollution and that is not right. While the moon will have a reddish or golden colour without dust and particles (there is no doubt about it), these do enhance the scattering effect.

The answer is Rayleigh, correct, and pollution enhances Rayleigh because particles.

Rayleigh scattering is caused by particles and depends on their size, concentration and composition and the wavelength of the light. The light does not care what causes these particles. It should not be too difficult to make that mental step "Particles - gas molecules - dust - natural and anthropogenic causes - pollution". We humans are naturally enabled to make these causal connections and most of us do. Or are there alternative proposals for how particles come into the atmosphere ?

I found two Nasa and Jpl pages which explicitly mention pollution as being responsible for colouring and brightness of the moon during an eclipse. I found a Russian excerpt that describes the moon's colour changes when rising over the east, attributing it to Chinese air pollution.

It is just, i fear that when i search them again, the work will be ignored and in vain, so i leave it.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/does-air-pollution-alter-lunar-eclipses/

www.iac.es/folleto/research/preprints/files/PP11018.pdf

“Aerosols injected by volcanic eruptions and large wildfires can cause a significant darkening of an eclipse,” says García Muñoz. In fact, “Scattered sunlight may represent a significant fraction of the sunlight that reaches the eclipsed Moon under conditions of high aerosol content in the atmosphere.”

and

"Other atmospheric events, like large airborne dust clouds, might bear some of the responsibility for the unusually darkened shadow last month. “The best explanation is indeed the aerosol pollution over China, but we cannot rule out the presence of an episode of desert sands transported over Asia,” says Jean-Baptiste Renard of the University of Orleans in France. He adds that observations during lunar eclipses might prove to be an inexpensive way to provide a survey of air pollution on a continental scale."

Emphasis mine !

And from:

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/blog/2010/12/red-red-moon-and-other-lunar-eclipse-phenomena

"Tiny airborne particles, also known as aerosols, also scatter sunlight. The relative efficiency of the scattering at different wavelengths depends on the size and composition of the particles. Pollution and dust in the lower atmosphere tends to subdue the color of the rising or setting sun, whereas fine smoke particles or tiny aerosols lofted to high altitudes during a major volcanic eruption can deepen the color to an intense shade of red."

----------

I could carry this on, but that is enough to explain the obvious, i think ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

Welcome to the KSP science subforum, where people become enemies over how red the moon should be/is during an eclipse. Can't we all just say, "Ooo! Pretty!" and move on? 

(Oops. I see this is actually in the Lounge rather than Science. Well, you get my point.) 

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Welcome to the KSP science subforum, where people become enemies over how red the moon should be/is during an eclipse. Can't we all just say, "Ooo! Pretty!" and move on? 

(Oops. I see this is actually in the Lounge rather than Science. Well, you get my point.) 

Well, we've got a great new development to change the subject!

Come to think of it, I thought I might have seen something but dismissed it as probably a random speckle in my vision. This was right after the start of the totality, so if you were watching, chances are you were looking at the Moon when this happened.

10 hours ago, cubinator said:

Come to think of it, I thought I might have seen something but dismissed it as probably a random speckle in my vision. This was right after the start of the totality, so if you were watching, chances are you were looking at the Moon when this happened.

That is cool.

I didn't realize it while staring at the moon, probably too short for the eye and i was too much occupied with the equipment.

I made a raw and unaligned video about the moon entering the penumbra from >500 images i took. I asked a friend to upload it to youtube, will post the link here as soon as i have it.

Edit: here it is:

Edited by Green Baron

Here are my photos. They really looked better and far less noisy on the small display of the camera.
But newer, higher quality cameras are so expensive! You'll have to deal with it for now.

These shots are from the Moon exiting Earth's umbra

Spoiler

usoyJYu.jpg

WuKPtgR.jpg

OtDq6lK.jpg

WWDt87N.jpg

W6LhUrA.jpg

This one is from my mother, she took it near the beginning of the eclipse.

xfzAkR9.jpg

This was my second eclipse ever! The last one being the previous lunar eclipse of July 2018.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.