The best planet pack to play in a career?

playX

Moving to Add-on Discussions.

OPM is a fantastic mod, and really good at adding on to the stock system without tinkering with the existing planets (other than moving Eeloo to be a moon of a new gas giant).

GPP is another excellent mod; this one completely replaces the stock solar system.

Then there's New Horizons, which adds a bunch of new planets, and keeps the stock ones... but completely rearranges the solar system including the stock planets (e.g. Kerbin becomes a moon of a gas giant).

If you're looking for a "lite" experience, you may want to consider my own Snarkiverse, which doesn't actually add any new planets but does significant rearranging of the planets that are there, to give a different gameplay experience.  (It plays nice with Kerbol Origins and/or OPM, if you have those installed.)

I wouldn't recommend GPP due to how boring and samey the planets look, even though it's the most popular pack after OPM. Here are some of my recommendations:

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered modifies the entire solar system, most notably making Kerbin orbit Jool, which now orbits where Kerbin used to. It's one of the most stock-looking planet packs (after all, it was originally created by the same person who made the stock KSP solar system)

New Horizons adds in dozens of new celestial bodies, while modifying the orbits of the old ones. Like Alternis Kerbol, Kerbin orbits a gas giant in this pack. NH is unfortunately broken in versions above 1.3, but I've been able to fix most of the issues (along with adding a high-performance EVE config). If you want me to send you the fixed version, just PM me.

Whirligig World is quite different then other star system mods. The KSC is now located on a super-massive, atmosphere-less, and rapidly spinning rocky planet, called Mesbin. Due to this, WW plays quite different from all other planet mods.

Before Kerbin and After Kerbin are based on what the stock system might look like billions of years into the past and future, respectively. In Before Kerbin, the KSC is located on Eve, before it became inhabitable via impact with it's moon. In After Kerbin, the KSC is located on a terraformed Duna, while Kerbol is in the process of becoming a red giant.

Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul is a planet pack that adds massive amounts of new planets, while at the same time modifying Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus. While it isn't exactly realistic, it is definitely a fun pack.

Uncharted Lands currently won't work in versions above 1.3, but like New Horizons I've been able to fix it. UL remakes every body in the solar system from scratch, with all of them being created exclusively via procedural generation. UL's planetary system is beautiful, stockalike, and memorable, and I definitely recommend giving it a try. If you want the fixed version, just send me a PM.

6 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

I wouldn't recommend GPP due to how boring and samey the planets look, even though it's the most popular pack after OPM. Here are some of my recommendations:

Alternis Kerbol Rekerjiggered modifies the entire solar system, most notably making Kerbin orbit Jool, which now orbits where Kerbin used to. It's one of the most stock-looking planet packs (after all, it was originally created by the same person who made the stock KSP solar system)

New Horizons adds in dozens of new celestial bodies, while modifying the orbits of the old ones. Like Alternis Kerbol, Kerbin orbits a gas giant in this pack. NH is unfortunately broken in versions above 1.3, but I've been able to fix most of the issues (along with adding a high-performance EVE config). If you want me to send you the fixed version, just PM me.

Whirligig World is quite different then other star system mods. The KSC is now located on a super-massive, atmosphere-less, and rapidly spinning rocky planet, called Mesbin. Due to this, WW plays quite different from all other planet mods.

Before Kerbin and After Kerbin are based on what the stock system might look like billions of years into the past and future, respectively. In Before Kerbin, the KSC is located on Eve, before it became inhabitable via impact with it's moon. In After Kerbin, the KSC is located on a terraformed Duna, while Kerbol is in the process of becoming a red giant.

Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul is a planet pack that adds massive amounts of new planets, while at the same time modifying Kerbin, the Mun, and Minmus. While it isn't exactly realistic, it is definitely a fun pack.

Uncharted Lands currently won't work in versions above 1.3, but like New Horizons I've been able to fix it. UL remakes every body in the solar system from scratch, with all of them being created exclusively via procedural generation. UL's planetary system is beautiful, stockalike, and memorable, and I definitely recommend giving it a try. If you want the fixed version, just send me a PM.

Thanks for this list of packs! I'm already used Gameslinx's Planet Overhaul. I think I will play with After Kerbin or maybe with Other Worlds :D

Edited by playX
Overhual -> Overhaul

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.