Help needed

Okay, I made a basic little station and a launcher for it. I forgot to put the fuel tank on there you asked for, but the nice thing is that you can swap out a fuel tank for one of the Hitchhikers, or just remove the payload from the launcher, put a tank there instead, and dock it to the station. Anyway, here's the ship. 

YKepub5.png
JHnWflq.png

Fly it until it runs out of fuel, then stage. 
RjDHSjp.png

Once you're above atmo, hit action 1 to discard the faring and extend the atennas and solar panels. It will complain that some can't deploy while stowed. Ignore it and hit F1 again. 
DWByK4d.png
4BIj6jI.png 

Once you've circularized your orbit, use the lower docking ring to separate the launcher stage. 
PIvElMM.png
vHNdaBs.png 

And once it's clear of the station, deorbit the launcher stage to avoid leaving space junk. 
ngNyuAG.png

And there's your station, in orbit. 
8ugA7jM.png 

The ship is built so that you can take the payload off and build one you like better, or just change models and dock them to the original module of the station. (It would take RCS for that, of course.) 

You said you can't download, but I put it up on Kerbal X in case you find a way. https://kerbalx.com/Vanamonde/Small-Station-Emplacer

The parts in the order that I added them are RC-101 probe core, antenna & 4 solar panels on it, large reaction wheel, Z-4K battery, AE-FF3 faring base, ADP-2-3 fuel tank/adapter, Wolfhound engine (or anything with around 200 vacuum thrust), TD-25 decoupler, X200-32 feul tank, 4 tail fins, and a Mainsail engine. 

The payload I built starting with a docking ring facing down, because that can be added right on top of the probe core in the VAB and detached during flight. Build whatever kind of station you want on top of that. 

Thanks Lo Var for the download but I play on Xbox’s Enhanced Edition, so I am sorry that I cannot download this massive masterpiece of a ship. I hate to ask you to do this Lo Var but can you take a screenshot of the craft and make a diagram of what parts go where, I understand if you cannot remember what went were or it is too large to do such a thing?

yI0aQH8.png

This is my old standby for heavy launch capability, and it should be easy enough to replicate in Xbox.

The main stack is a pair of orange tanks, and then a mainsail (the white parts are purely decorative). 

The side boosters are the same thing, and are attached via a Detachment manifold, located halfway down the lower core, and an aerodynamic nose cone. There are four sepatrons per core booster, and they are located as shown in the image. Lastly, fuel lines are used to crossfeed between the side boosters and the main booster. 

Vernor engines or fins can be added as necessary to control less aerodynamic payloads, but for moderately stable payloads (or careful flying), it works as is.

This should launch 60 tons to LKO without any trouble, and it's been my lifter of choice for similar payloads for years.

Hey Servo I thank you for the parts list and the rocket I appreciate the new rocket design. One quick question, can I use the Rhino engine instead of the Mainsail?Also I noticed that one of your sepatrons on the left booster didn’t fire off.

Edited by Mikenike

51 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Hey Servo I thank you for the parts list and the rocket I appreciate the new rocket design. One quick question, can I use the Rhino engine instead of the Mainsail?Also I noticed that one of your sepatrons on the left booster didn’t fire off.

No problem! I haven't tested it with Rhinos (they're a size too big for the orange tanks), but I imagine that if you scaled up the entire design to use Kerbodyne tanks and Rhinos, it would still work well. As for the sepatrons, if you look closer at the image, it is firing, it just blends in to the atmosphere line. Funnily enough, I saw the same thing when I was looking at the image myself.

I know that you won't get much use out of a download link, but I'll post it in case someone else wants to check out the link. There are also a few more images of it there.

https://kerbalx.com/servo/Orion-EFT-1-recreation

Thanks Servo and I will try it scaled up, not that I really need one that large ( I am still relatively new to KSP enhanced Edition after 3 months of non stop playing).What would one use this for anyway ( I have no space stations, in orbit, or ready to get launched. Got any good space station designs you mind sharing with us?). Also what is the best AoA for a relatively stable orbit?

Edited by Mikenike

Hey Servo do you know how to move camera up/down on Xbox Enhanced Edition, it’s ok if you don’t know but do you know anyone who does know? What do you suggest I do if I cannot move the camera, what do I put on top instead. As well as that I will ask a Moderator friend if he can put in a word to the Squad staff to add that feature to Xbox Enhanced Edition because they are working on another update right now, they were gonna release it on 3/21/19 but they had to push it back to fix more bugs and glitches.

Edited by Mikenike

16 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Thanks Servo and I will try it scaled up, not that I really need one that large ( I am still relatively new to KSP enhanced Edition after 3 months of non stop playing).What would one use this for anyway ( I have no space stations, in orbit, or ready to get launched. Got any good space station designs you mind sharing with us?). Also what is the best AoA for a relatively stable orbit?

Back in the days when I actually went to space in Kerbal Space Program (I build replica planes almost exclusively now), it was my go-to workhorse lifter. You can get a lot done with 60t in orbit. 

The biggest thing I used it for was launching parts of a Duna transfer vehicle, or sending out large Mün Landers. I've long since lost those craft files, so I don't have anything to share. 

But, some ideas for you: 

* Make a space hotel with lots of cupolas and habitat space

* Design something that takes two launches to complete

*Launch and land a Mün Rover 

15 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Hey Servo do you know how to move camera up/down on Xbox Enhanced Edition, it’s ok if you don’t know but do you know anyone who does know? What do you suggest I do if I cannot move the camera, what do I put on top instead. 

Nope (PC exclusive player), but I'm sure the folks in the help-focused subforums here will have an answer.

14 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Interesting! I had an almost identical, albeit less fancy, launcher which I used frequently when I used rockets.

Probably another good example of convergent evolution. The one shown has been dressed up as a Delta IV heavy, but without the decorations, it's just a simple, effective lifter that I'm not too surprised that other people arrived upon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.