By 2020 we will have a moon base and it will be american

notoriousbkp

Have you every gazed into the night sky, caught a glimpse of that beloved silvery orb and thought to yourself, "I'd really like a summer house there." Think of it, sunbathing along the shore of the sea of tranquility sounds pretty good right about now, am i right? Launching from Mun would remove more than a few of those pesky gravity issues and nothing says swagger like bringing a girl home to your own personal crater-mansion. Also it opens the door to so many more possibilites: colonization of other planets, trade based (not military) interaction with other species or groups of kerbals, even terra-forming. So i leave it to you, my fellow kerbo-thusiests, to bring our kerbals what they deserve...a house on the freak'in moon...

the eu has more economical power then china atm, china may be big but its a bubble and very volatile... the eu is more robust then the US and china in current day... they might have problems but thats just it... problems

the US is a powder keg with a fuse that no-one knows how long it is... i hope it does not blow up in my lifetime

so to put it back on topic... if theres going to be a moonbase, its probably largely EU based, because they are the only guys with economical drive to do this stuff

then again, the EU always gets the US or RUSSIA or any other countries involved to spread the cost... so probably co-owned by others like the ISS

I very doubt that USA will be the first one who start colonize moon and mars - USA government has no money, vision and political will to do this.

Only USA hope could be joining international effort or USA private sector initiative (but this one could fail too).

so to put it back on topic... if theres going to be a moonbase, its probably largely EU based, because they are the only guys with economical drive to do this stuff

Oh, how I'd love to be able to believe you! But I cant' see what makes you think so high of the EU's economical drive and vision for space exploration... seriously, economically we're screwed at the moment, and it's only getting worse, and if there's one thing ESA has always lacked, it's a clear political will when it comes to manned spaceflight. I mean, don't get me wrong, we build among the world's best rockets, but their main use is commercial, not scientific/governmental, and even less human spaceflight, their's never been a strong will for this at a european level, and I can't see one coming in the near future... so please tell us, what makes you so optimistic about european manned spaceflight?

Only way the US would have a moon base any time soon is through the private sector. Or if NASA got more funding, but I doubt that's happening.

Yet the president plans on a manned mars mission in the 2020s. How is nasa supposed to discover new technology for space suits with little funding. Sorry to burst the OPs bubble but, the US government most likely won't launch a moon base(Or a moon mission.) until we can get more funding for NASA.

Well, mine bet is on that project. http://mars-one.com/en/

Best part is live streams and etc..

I don't care if Mars becomes a big reality show, I just want to see it happen.

This only calls for one answer:

ok3lf7.gif

I mean seriously: turning mankind's greatest deeds of exploration into one of those stupid and ridiculous shows? Just thinking of it makes me angry.

If this does turn out to be the way we go to Mars, I'm not sure I'll be willing to have anything to do with space exploration anymore...

guys i gotta say, the title is just a quote from Gingrich's defunct presidential campaign (doesn't have anything to do with real political leanings). and i am aware of the pseudo-buildings that you creative, dedicated people have been able to engineer but what i am suggesting to is the idea of building a fully functional kerbin society of the stars. so instead of focusing on the complexities of geo-political economics why dont we all sit down and play some video games

This only calls for one answer:

ok3lf7.gif

I mean seriously: turning mankind's greatest deeds of exploration into one of those stupid and ridiculous shows? Just thinking of it makes me angry.

If this does turn out to be the way we go to Mars, I'm not sure I'll be willing to have anything to do with space exploration anymore...

If nationalism won't motivate people like it did in the 1960's, maybe being able to see everything the colonists do will.

Too many people already think space travel is worthless, and the show probably wouldn't do too well anyway.

Yet the president plans on a manned mars mission in the 2020s. How is nasa supposed to discover new technology for space suits with little funding. Sorry to burst the OPs bubble but, the US government most likely won't launch a moon base(Or a moon mission.) until we can get more funding for NASA.

The President plans on a manned Mars mission in the 2020s that NASA is planning in the 2030s?

Does the President have his own special spaceflight organisation or something? We won't even have a replacement bus service for the Shuttle until 2015.

The President plans on a manned Mars mission in the 2020s that NASA is planning in the 2030s?

Does the President have his own special spaceflight organisation or something? We won't even have a replacement bus service for the Shuttle until 2015.

We already do... SpaceX Dragon Capsule.

I think you guys might of killed this poor mans joke. I think this MOONBASE will be called ALPHA as it is the first of its kind in the year 2020 and the brave men and wemon on the base will be forced to fix it after it is stricked by an astriod after they angerd the great sky/football god that is John Madden.

PS:aeiou

Guys, like OP wrote, it's not about Earth politics and economy. It's about colonization mechanics in KSP. And we all agree on that! That said, the moment we get docking and IVAs, we can have a real colonies without special feature. And it is a planned feature already.

If however OP thinks about terraforming, and agriculture, then I'd say it's a bit too far. You didn't exactly specify what did You mean by colonization...

I think you guys might of killed this poor mans joke. I think this MOONBASE will be called ALPHA as it is the first of its kind in the year 2020 and the brave men and wemon on the base will be forced to fix it after it is stricked by an astriod after they angerd the great sky/football god that is John Madden.

PS:aeiou

i'm glad someone out there gets it...i think my first post was overrun by a troll army.

Guys, like OP wrote, it's not about Earth politics and economy. It's about colonization mechanics in KSP. And we all agree on that! That said, the moment we get docking and IVAs, we can have a real colonies without special feature. And it is a planned feature already.

If however OP thinks about terraforming, and agriculture, then I'd say it's a bit too far. You didn't exactly specify what did You mean by colonization...

i think that thats the beauty of videogames, you never have to think small, the tech can be grounded in science but with a hopeful look to the future. 50 years ago the curiosity rover would have been viewed by many as a pie in the sky dream, but look at us now. i firmly believe that one day through advances in science none of us can imagine the will be a human being that lives his entire life on a planet other than earth and i think it would be fun to explore those possibilities in this game. we already know how to thicken an atmosphere (given a certain pre-existing atmosphere) through greenhouse emissions. the haber-Bosch process allows us to affectively extract nitrogen from various materials which could be used in conjuntion with bioengineered plants (taking advantage of recent advances in genetics) to produce a favorable environment for human (or kerbin) life

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.