Hermeus supersonic airliner

Shpaget

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I was inferring that passenger volume was the profit- not the pricetag on a seat.

As I said, airlines have all sorts of business models. They all want all their seats filled on every flight. But for some of them, the real goal is to have the business class seats full, and everything else is just gravy. For others, they don't even have business class seats, and they compete by offering fares as low as they can to get as much traffic as they can. There are flights that are all business class and flights that are all coach. Different ways to make money.

A supersonic airliner would have to be selling tickets at a premium. They would probably go for an all-business class type of configuration, but that's not clear.

Supersonic bizjets are completely different. For them it almost doesn't matter how much the flight costs. In fact, the more it costs, the better for giving the jet that exclusive Ferrari cachet. According to Forbes there are 2200 billionaires in the world, and the supersonic bizjets are mainly targeting them as their buying market.

8 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

As I said, airlines have all sorts of business models. They all want all their seats filled on every flight. But for some of them, the real goal is to have the business class seats full, and everything else is just gravy. For others, they don't even have business class seats, and they compete by offering fares as low as they can to get as much traffic as they can. There are flights that are all business class and flights that are all coach. Different ways to make money.

A supersonic airliner would have to be selling tickets at a premium. They would probably go for an all-business class type of configuration, but that's not clear.

Supersonic bizjets are completely different. For them it almost doesn't matter how much the flight costs. In fact, the more it costs, the better for giving the jet that exclusive Ferrari cachet. According to Forbes there are 2200 billionaires in the world, and the supersonic bizjets are mainly targeting them as their buying market.

bizjets aren't practical except for the super rich which they'll undoubtedly be marketed towards- however for the larger airliner sized supersonic aircraft; those would best profit off of traveling business goers. Businesses want them traveling as little as possible, so time is a premium. So businesses will pay for tickets that may be even half the price of a traditional airliner. This may not be practical for economy class seating as I mentioned before due to the inflated costs, but would be more practical for business. That said, as was the case for when Concorde first began flying- flying on a supersonic aircraft will be the premium. As time goes on and the novelty of supersonic flight becomes the norm again, then more will be needed to keep the 'premium' edge, especially across competing airlines. However that results in less space per seat (based on the current First Class seats on most subsonic airliners) and as a result- less profit from each seat as compared to the space being utilized for business class.

I really don't feel like arguing any further so I'm just going to dump a bunch of YouTube videos that I feel are relevant and will answer any potential counter points you may throw back.

Spoiler

What they really need is not a supersonic, but an airplane optimized for a flexible business model.

An adjustable passenger cabin, eqipped with a piston wall between the plebs and yuppies business and economical class.

Just move it along the plane, splitting it proportionally to the sold tickets, and put additionar chairs in the rear part.

2 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I really don't feel like arguing any further so I'm just going to dump a bunch of YouTube videos

Really you could have tried to just read what I wrote instead. Oh well. I guess if you see it on You Tube it suddenly becomes authoritative?

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

What they really need is not a supersonic, but an airplane optimized for a flexible business model.

An adjustable passenger cabin, eqipped with a piston wall between the plebs and yuppies business and economical class.

Just move it along the plane, splitting it proportionally to the sold tickets, and put additionar chairs in the rear part.

Most airplanes can be fairly radically adjusted for cabin configuration, but it takes a while. All the seats have to fit through the cabin door, so they come out one row (or one pod) at a time.

The 737-700C is a 737 with a cargo door on the side. It's designed so that you can put the seats on pallets and quickly slide whole chunks of interior out, then put other ones in. Or fly with cargo. The US Navy bought a bunch of them. Want to fly an admiral? Slide in the first class seating module. Want to fly sailors? Slide in the coach class seating module. Want to fly cargo? Slide out the seats entirely.

33 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Really you could have tried to just read what I wrote instead.

I did and I responded. Followed by my reasoning.

33 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I guess if you see it on You Tube it suddenly becomes authoritative?

They certainly explain themselves. Some even cite their basis. I'm not here to argue. I've made a point and that's all I have to say.

3 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Really you could have tried to just read what I wrote instead. Oh well. I guess if you see it on You Tube it suddenly becomes authoritative?

Most airplanes can be fairly radically adjusted for cabin configuration, but it takes a while. All the seats have to fit through the cabin door, so they come out one row (or one pod) at a time.

The 737-700C is a 737 with a cargo door on the side. It's designed so that you can put the seats on pallets and quickly slide whole chunks of interior out, then put other ones in. Or fly with cargo. The US Navy bought a bunch of them. Want to fly an admiral? Slide in the first class seating module. Want to fly sailors? Slide in the coach class seating module. Want to fly cargo? Slide out the seats entirely.

737-700C could also be used for stuff like an air-mobile hospital, secondary role is evacuation of patients under intensive care. You want them out of an disaster or war zone asap as they use loads of resources. (blood, equipment, doctors and nurses time)
Or an command center either in air or landed. 

But this has an cost, weight goes up is one. However you have stuff like one 747 I flew with there the rear part was cargo, here you could have some fun if not enough cargo.
How about an dance floor :) 

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

one 747 I flew with there the rear part was cargo

Those are called "combis". They used to be reasonably common in civilian aviation. The wikipedia article on combis describes both combis (with a partition that always fly a mix of passenger and main deck freight) and convertibles (with no partition, they can fly passengers on palletized seating or main deck freight, but not both). Convertibles aren't really "combis" per se, unless they are operated with both freight and cargo at the same time.

Alaska Airlines was flying scheduled combi service up until 2017, but they were the last US combi operators with scheduled service.

Military transports are also designed to carry passengers, freight, or both, but usually without much in the way of nice accommodations for the passengers.

Edited by mikegarrison

From what I understand, the big transports with aft ramps have roll-on/roll-off passenger modules.

Which brings to a radical idea. What if we loaded the modules with the sardines, err, passengers pre-loaded inside?

What if these modules were actually Hyperloop pods?

2 hours ago, DDE said:

From what I understand, the big transports with aft ramps have roll-on/roll-off passenger modules.

Which brings to a radical idea. What if we loaded the modules with the sardines, err, passengers pre-loaded inside?

What if these modules were actually Hyperloop pods?

We do that with freight. Cargo gets packed into a steel box and then that box can get loaded onto a truck, a train, a ship, an airplane, etc. without ever being opened until it gets to its final destination.

People usually aren't happy to be loaded into a box like that, however.

Edited by mikegarrison

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.