A Kerbal's Guide to our solar system

NovaSilisko

Just use a similar rendering system for clouds. A color map and an alpha map. But instead of cloud particles, make them look like millions of motes of dust (thousands per texture/sprite, mind you. We don\'t need to render millions of particles)

Also

ss20111219212920.png

I have this feeling that modeling rings in a good way will be very, very hard for the engine... hope Harv finds a way, obviously.

How about, when you\'re far away from the ring, It\'s just an image, but when you get close to a part of it, that part spawns asteroids/rocks (That\'s what the ring is made out of) Also, naturally, the asteroids will only render when you go near them and unrender when you go away from them. They\'ll also be on tracks. This reduces lag.

Nah man, nova is so awesome that he just creates an actual new solar system thing and then goes there on his holiday break to take pictures.

At least that\'s what I do.

Yeah, I heard James Cameron went over the the Rigel Kentaurus A system to shoot Avatar.

Tiberius

tiberius.png

The second planet out is covered in a thick, cloudless atmosphere, which is continually being blasted out to space by the solar wind, but is mysteriously replenished.

It has one moon, a tiny rock named Kora.

Physical Characteristics:

• [li]Radius: 380 km[/li]
    [li]Rotation Period: 3 hours[/li]
    [li]Atmospheric Composition: Unknown, likely Nitrogen.[/li]
    [li]Surface Composition: Primarily Silicates, Iron Core[/li]
    [li]Surface Gravity: 0.4g[/li]

Orbital characteristics:

• [li]Period: 40 days [/li]
    [li]Semi-Major Axis: 0.05 AU[/li]
    [li]Eccentricity: 0.1[/li]
    [li]Inclination: 0[/li]

Reminds me of mars...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.