A Kerbal's Guide to our solar system

NovaSilisko

Just to clarify: Will there be a mars-like planet in the Kerbol system? The game really could use one, and it is where humans will land next IRL.

I don\'t think anyone would mind if it completely resembled mars, as opposed to being an icy/purplish/gaseous variation.

Just to clarify: Will there be a mars-like planet in the Kerbol system? The game really could use one, and it is where humans will land next IRL.

I don\'t think anyone would mind if it completely resembled mars, as opposed to being an icy/purplish/gaseous variation.

Egar is 'Mars' - it used to be the next planet out - now it\'s a moon of Meander

Also, landing on a moon/mun (are they muns even when they\'re not the mun?) of a gas giant will be quite a bit more difficult than going to a mars-like planet. The design of the solar system should reflect the baby steps it takes to get the hang of interplanetary travel before doing something more complex.

In the current layout, I for one will be sending my first interplanetary mission to Eve, hopefully in less tries and more softly than the deceptively named Venura 3. It\'d be great to have another interesting and relatively inexpensive terrestrial target to play with before attempting orbital musical chairs with a gas giant system. It\'s funny watching people new to the game shoot straight for the mun and totally fail because they didn\'t first figure out orbiting kerbin properly. Baby steps.

Anyway, aside from that, I like the way it\'s looking. Can\'t wait to start exploring a diverse selection of muns around Juniper, aerobraking with a ballute like in 2010. I hope there\'s one that looks a bit like Iapetus!

Getting to Harvest might be ... interesting.

Kerbin -> Solar -> inclination change -> Harvest?

I guess you could put yourself in a wide circular around Kerbin and get caught, but you need to be space-side on the kerbin orbit just as Harvest goes by ... maybe I need to actually study orbital mechanics, mmm ...

Also, distant view update:

ss20111206011815.png

Nice. Shouldn\'t 'Harvest' come closer to the star to be called a comet, though?

Also, why not adding another inner planet? It would be a nice change from our solar system, be somewhat in line with what is known about dwarf star systems (which seem to have lots of large rocky planets nearer than habitable zone) and maybe more importantly, it would help to reach the Fire Star by making more gravity assists possible...

(And what if there is another system at 30-40 billion kilometers away, around a companion star? ;) )

(And what if there is another system at 30-40 billion kilometers away, around a companion star? ;) )

Then it\'ll take a bloody long time to get there and you better hope we have game saving/resuming by then, although Harv could \'just\' give us increasingly large time compression ratios once we go past the outer planets.

I can do that.

Edit:

ss20111206163849.jpg

If the atmosphere is thin and cold like Mars, I don\'t think you\'d see clouds like that.

Actually, puffy clouds should only ever be visible on Kerbin. Other planets would be completely covered (e.g. Venus, Titan) or have no clouds at all (e.g. Mars).

If the atmosphere is thin and cold like Mars, I don\'t think you\'d see clouds like that.

Actually, puffy clouds should only ever be visible on Kerbin. Other planets would be completely covered (e.g. Venus, Titan) or have no clouds at all (e.g. Mars).

I was thinking that Eve would have an atmosphere roughly equivalent to Kerbin, and Egar have the thin one, so I guess I\'ll remove the clouds on Egar.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.