1.7.2 Reports

Geschosskopf

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

So, 1.7.2 is now out.  Its changelog addressed all the bugs I reported and quite a few more I'd agreed with.  So all in all, things look good,  What's your opinion?

Haven’t had a chance yet to try but I can actually continue my career save and use the deployable science how it is supposed to work, which is good!

Me? In space no-one can hear you scream... Which is a shame...

Because my Kerbalverse is littered with Kerbals who went catatonic as soon as they were sent on an EVA! 'Out you go' and BANG! They fall off the ladder and just lie there, unable to move...

I was just about to reinstall the whole game when I realised that the update had been applied... Will revert to 1.7.1 and confirm the situation.

K

15 minutes ago, BirchBirch said:

Yeah, confirmed... Reverted to 1.7.1 and the Kerbals have returned to life!

K

I had the same problem in 1.7.1.  The problem is, for some reason now, SAS has to be on for the Kerbal to respond to jetpack controls.  Weird.

They just issued a hotfix for the zombie kerbal problem.

I didn't experience it, and 1.7.2 solved my problem with helicopters and the mission editor which made me a happy lake diver. 

4 hours ago, BadRocket said:

I saw that too, was very confused, and tried to convince myself that maybe it was always like that, and I must have previously always had SAS activated during EVAs. So confused.

I only just got back into KSP with the BG release, having sat out since about 1.3.1.  Never before in my experience have Kerbals required SAS being on to fly their jetpacks but I don't know if this is new in 1.7.1 (definitely was there BEFORE 1.7.2 as I immediately noticed this in early rescue missions) or started before I came back.

I think it's probably related to another new thing I noticed in 1.7.1 (but which also might have started in my absence).  That is, ship SAS now switches off if the only pilot aboard goes on EVA, and does not automatically turn itself back on when he reboards.  I lost my 1st Mun lander due to taking off sans SAS because I'd never had to worry about turning it back on while on the surface.  I'm sure this is to close off the potential exploit of the pilot turning on SAS (apparently only he knows which button to push), then bailing and being replaced by a scientist or engineer.  I find this intensely annoying because 1) I never used this exploit (too much trouble to set up--it's FAR easier just to slap an OKTO core on the rocket) but now I have to suffer for the sins of others, and 2) it adds ONE MORE STUPID ****CENSORED*** thing I have to remember to do just to fly my rocket.  BAD IDEA!!!  Make gameplay more difficult and tedious to solve a problem that never actually existed to begin with :mad:

Ahem.  Excuse my outburst.

Anyway, I've only really noticed the non-responsive jetpack issue when rescuing pilots.  My ship rendezvous with SAS on, then I switch to the stranded pod.  SAS remains on even across the focus-change.  Then I EVA the occupant.  If the rescuee is a pilot, SAS switches off and his jetpack is unresponsive.  So I have to turn SAS back on.  The rescued pilot boards my ship and SAS remains on.  When rescuing scientists and engineers, SAS never switches off when they go EVA because they're not pilots, so that doesn't trigger the swtich.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

ship SAS now switches off if the only pilot aboard goes on EVA, and does not automatically turn itself back on when he reboards

My experience is that this has always happened, since pilots and probe cores were introduced.

17 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

My experience is that this has always happened, since pilots and probe cores were introduced.

Maybe I just always have an OKTO on my ships as a safety measure?

But regardless of what happens to ship SAS, the Kerbals now needing SAS (when 2/3 of them can't even activate it in ships) to respond to jetpack controls so strange it's probably a bug.

I feel your pain, @Geschosskopf. One of my landers has a center of mass slightly off center because of some instruments I put on the ladder side vs the window side of the lander can. Taking off without SAS causes a flip, and boy have I accidentally done that!

That was before Kerbnet, though. Now it's so handy to use Kerbnet to see what biome I'm flying over in orbit before deciding on a landing spot, that all my manned landers also have a probe core on them. I've never had that issue since.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just that there's a solution going forward!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.