Near Perfect Orbit?

spikeyhat09

I recently launched a spaceplane/reverse shuttle and manually achieved a near perfect orbit (or my personal best anyway). the apokee/perikee only differed by about 40 meters, and the speed differed by only .1 m/s.

dEXBU.png

cv834.png

What's the best you've achieved (without mods of course :wink:)?

I currently have a ship in orbit with a periapsis of 72,100 m and a difference of just under 100 m . The map view shows it as really shaky, though, so no exact numbers. No screenshots as I am on my other PC.

yup, thats why you time accelerate. they stop getting all shaky. thats how i got mine to not do that. does it have enough fuel to de-orbit?

yup, thats why you time accelerate. they stop getting all shaky. thats how i got mine to not do that. does it have enough fuel to de-orbit?

I've noticed this only seems to lock in the numbers at the moment you hit time warp, Because it's different every time you do it.

Its not a circle that's being perfect, its the path that the ship takes. why is that impossible?

The branch of mathematics called probability theory states that the probability of something hitting any exact value on a continuous scale is 0.

For the orbit to be perfectly circular, you can take any periapsis or apoapsis you get, but then you have to match the other one exactly. You've got 0 chance to do that, and I'm not talking about a very low chance, I really mean zero, as in you can never get it exactly right.

You might be satisfied with around 100 meters difference and call it a day, or you may want to push it a bit and try to get ~1 m difference. In theory you could get even lower eccentricity, but even if the display shows exactly the same number, it's just rounding up the displayed figure. There is always one more decimal position for you to be off at.

The branch of mathematics called probability theory states that the probability of something hitting any exact value on a continuous scale is 0.

For the orbit to be perfectly circular, you can take any periapsis or apoapsis you get, but then you have to match the other one exactly. You've got 0 chance to do that, and I'm not talking about a very low chance, I really mean zero, as in you can never get it exactly right.

You might be satisfied with around 100 meters difference and call it a day, or you may want to push it a bit and try to get ~1 m difference. In theory you could get even lower eccentricity, but even if the display shows exactly the same number, it's just rounding up the displayed figure. There is always one more decimal position for you to be off at.

I agree that in reality, no-one will ever achieve a perfect orbit. just moving about inside the capsule would adjust it by an immeasurable amount (or maybe measurable? :/). I'm just wondering if its theoretically possible for an object to move at the EXACT, Precise velocity (for that height), with 0% inaccuracy, and have an orbit that's perfectly circular

I agree that in reality, no-one will ever achieve a perfect orbit. just moving about inside the capsule would adjust it by an immeasurable amount (or maybe measurable? :/). I'm just wondering if its theoretically possible for an object to move at the EXACT, Precise velocity (for that height), with 0% inaccuracy, and have an orbit that's perfectly circular

A circular orbit in KSP should be possible, since it rounds your orbit and isn't continuous.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.