Life Support system?

Tachtra

20 hours ago, Frostiken said:

I think it's funny that we're talking about life support being too complex or something. It's a critical aspect of spaceflight. How about we get rid of fuel too.

Exactly this.

I don't think this is a subject that requires too much thinking. KSP1 already includes options for G forces on Kerbals, Parts, etc.

If there were to be a stock KSP2 life support system, it would be as easy as making it a toggleable option within the difficulty settings menu, or whatever the analogue will be.

But yes, I think KSP2 should include a basic LSS that could be used as the framework for more complex modded systems.

I'd be shocked if life support isnt toggleable but it'll definitely be there. Its safe to say that kerbals will care about g force some way (likely a minimum amount before more intensive kerbal exercises or something like that are required and no maximum g force), we see artificial gravity rings present in some of the spacecraft, considering that we dont see these rings in spacecraft that's meant to be later on in the game I think the acceleration of your spacecraft will be able to provide this g force for later on in the game. We've seen a greenhouse in one of the colonies so food will definitely be a concern on colonies, and Id be shocked if it isnt a concern (albiet likely an easy to get around one) for spaceships. We also know that radiation will be some concern, I've seen nothing that suggests this includes background cosmic radiation, so I think the radiation will only be produced by nuclear engines and the counterplay will be putting your crew far away from it through things like truss's.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:12 AM, Strawberry said:

I'd be shocked if life support isnt toggleable but it'll definitely be there. Its safe to say that kerbals will care about g force some way (likely a minimum amount before more intensive kerbal exercises or something like that are required and no maximum g force), we see artificial gravity rings present in some of the spacecraft, considering that we dont see these rings in spacecraft that's meant to be later on in the game I think the acceleration of your spacecraft will be able to provide this g force for later on in the game. We've seen a greenhouse in one of the colonies so food will definitely be a concern on colonies, and Id be shocked if it isnt a concern (albiet likely an easy to get around one) for spaceships. We also know that radiation will be some concern, I've seen nothing that suggests this includes background cosmic radiation, so I think the radiation will only be produced by nuclear engines and the counterplay will be putting your crew far away from it through things like truss's.

I think some concerns can be backgrounded by saying parts are fit of purpose. 

Habitation Modules for flights or colonies beyond Kerbins protective shadow need to deal with Cosmic radiation so it should be assumed this has been taken care of in the part design and mass. Other times how much a how little life support becomes a design choice and can't be assumed to be embedded in the part.

Green house grow food vs pack a bunch of freeze dried food either way needs  lots and lots  of water that can be recycled to some degree. transit craft or colony, presupply vs resupply all these choices can the craft(s) needed. 

• 1 month later...

The other reason to include life support is so that we can spam the forum with new game  videos based around Air supply music videos. 8) (And yes it should be a toggleable thing built in by the devs for proper balance. I hate mods.)

Sorry, I don't actually know how to make a game video out of this.

But to go with it we could have a new kerbal named, Kerbal Graham Russel Hitchcock. Or just Russel for short. He could be an amalgam of the two lead singers. 8)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Supply

And to fit the theme of shear cornyness: (Anything about a boat can fit space travel)

These would also all make horrifically corny KSP2 videos. The last one would fit any video featuring or following a star formation with the word cross in it.

Edited by Arugela