Discussion regarding if KSP 2 were to have different versions at launch

GoldForest

I had a thought. A lot of triple AAA companies like to have multiple versions of a game. And I know Star Theory is a indie dev, but the publisher Private Division belongs to a AAA publisher, and we all know how much Take-Two loves their money. 

So I was thinking, would we be okay? 

I honestly am on the fence. On one hand, I would love to have like a collectors edition so we can have KSP 2 merchandise a little early. On the other hand, a lot of editions are just a ploy by game companies to milk you for your money. 

I can see three or four versions of the game:

Base Package - Just the game
Season Pass Package - Game plus you get DLC for free (Well not free, more like included)
Collector's Package - You get the Game, the Season Pass, and some collectable material. Possibly a statue feature the main four, possibly a rocket, possibly a moon lander, or something. And of course it would only be available through a KSP 2 website or from a store. The collector's package would also be region specific considering Japan and China both have regulations on toys, if I recall correctly. 

A possible fourth Package I could see might be a PS4, XBO.X. and Switch skin packages. How many people would like KSP themed game system? 

20 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

No; sell merch seperately. Seperate editions only exist to further segment already existing features and content; they aren't needed. 

I agree, like I said in my op post, they're just a ploy to milk money, but a lot of collector's editions come with some neat exclusive merch. 

Two opposing thoughts:

• Given the cult status of the first game, it would follow that a "Collector's Edition" with physical swag (eg. statuette, mission flag, art book) would be released in the $90-$100-range.  I could see it also including a key for a uniquely-named in-game Kerbal and a skin pack for parts.
  • The shift to all-digital distribution for games has hampered the market for physical game swag.  10 years ago, a large Collector's Edition box next to the standard box was a more appealing impulse upgrade/buy than the digital content offered with most Collector's Edition releases today.

I don't think we're going to see a Season Pass made available until the first DLC for KSP2 is announced.  They will likely hit the store at the same time.  Offering a purchase tier that includes all future DLC isn't uncommon, but typically that goes hand-in-hand with some kind of news related to actual DLC in the works.

Just now, OutOfAblator said:

You can already do that with cheats.

This was just an off-the-cuff example.  Yes, people on this forum know it's a simple save file edit to change Kerbal names.  Probably >95% of KSP players don't know how to do that.

*Any* digital content extras will be something that can be replicated with mods.  Whether extras will be appealing to the broader market is a completely different question.

19 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

No; sell merch seperately. Seperate editions only exist to further segment already existing features and content; they aren't needed. 

Pretty much this.  Being able to go on a store and buy mugs, t-shirts, bathroom towels, 3 feet tall Kerbal and Kebal-planetary globes might be cool.

I'm already not buying at launch because of the rip-off price.  "Season passes", "collector's editions", DLC, 'exclusives' just worry me more that KSP 2 will be all about price-gouging.