Inline air intakes & SSTO parts?

Cloakedwand72

Deep Space Exploration Vessels adds a 2.5m rapier & matching shock cone intake, although I personally felt it was overpowered.

OPT adds a lot of larger spaceplane parts, but I've never used it to say what's in it.

Near Future Aerodynamics also adds 2.5m rapiers, but I haven't used that one either, so I have no info other than knowing they exist:

Finally, the Mk 2 & Mk 3 Stockalike Expansions add Mk 2 & Mk 3 form factor rapier-like engines

Edited by Cavscout74

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

Deep Space Exploration Vessels adds a 2.5m rapier & matching shock cone intake, although I personally felt it was overpowered.

OPT adds a lot of larger spaceplane parts, but I've never used it to say what's in it.

Near Future Aerodynamics also adds 2.5m rapiers, but I haven't used that one either, so I have no info other than knowing they exit:

Finally, the Mk 2 & Mk 3 Stockalike Expansions add Mk 2 & Mk 3 form factor rapier-like engines

Cool! Not if its a skylon replica! :)

@Cloakedwand72 If you're looking for a proper Skylon engine setup you can try my WIP mod. It's meant to be exactly what you're looking for. But just don't ask me to finish it. It's in working condition and overall great as-is and it supports Nertea's CryoEngines, but is just a bit lacking in texture options.

P.S. You can do @ and type out a person's name. It's generally bad practice to quote an entire large post (typically, a thread's opening post) to get someone's attention. ;)

@Cavscout74 Near Future Aeronautics is actually the best bet since it's only an engine (and intakes) pack and contains RAPIER-alike engines, both standard and atomic versions, and inline intakes.

DSEV's RAPIER solution is indeed way overpowered and in need of a re-tuning. As it is, it's meant for large aircraft to get off of Kerbin with both high power and high efficiency, but it feels like a quick fix kind of thing and it's only usable in atmospheres with Oxygen. I could have fixed that for Angel-125 but I don't think anyone uses it anyway. I anticipated no demand so I found no motivation.

Mk2 and Mk3 Expansions are exactly that. There's not going to be a 2.5m intake or engine. (Feel free to prove me wrong, I haven't used these in a very long time.)

As for OPT, OPT itself contains a 2.5m dual-mode (turbojet, scramjet) engine, and OPT Legacy contains a 2.5m intake specifically for it. OPT is based in sci-fi and handwaves a few things so it's not going to fit your bill if you're fussy about stockalike performance. There's a Mk2 engine in Legacy that serves as a RAPIER, but due to the sci-fi nature, its LFO Isp is excessively high for folks who want stockalike performance. This is fine, however, when you get to consider the masses of OPT planes overall and when you grow to stuff super-heavy 2.5m ~ 3.75m payloads into them.

CL9xq5f.jpg

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Cloakedwand72 If you're looking for a proper Skylon engine setup you can try my WIP mod. It's meant to be exactly what you're looking for. But just don't ask me to finish it. It's in working condition and overall great as-is and it supports Nertea's CryoEngines, but is just a bit lacking in texture options.

P.S. You can do @ and type out a person's name. It's generally bad practice to quote an entire large post (typically, a thread's opening post) to get someone's attention. ;)

@Cavscout74 Near Future Aeronautics is actually the best bet since it's only an engine (and intakes) pack and contains RAPIER-alike engines, both standard and atomic versions, and inline intakes.

DSEV's RAPIER solution is indeed way overpowered and in need of a re-tuning. As it is, it's meant for large aircraft to get off of Kerbin with both high power and high efficiency, but it feels like a quick fix kind of thing and it's only usable in atmospheres with Oxygen. I could have fixed that for Angel-125 but I don't think anyone uses it anyway. I anticipated no demand so I found no motivation.

Mk2 and Mk3 Expansions are exactly that. There's not going to be a 2.5m intake or engine. (Feel free to prove me wrong, I haven't used these in a very long time.)

As for OPT, OPT itself contains a 2.5m dual-mode (turbojet, scramjet) engine, and OPT Legacy contains a 2.5m intake specifically for it. OPT is based in sci-fi and handwaves a few things so it's not going to fit your bill if you're fussy about stockalike performance. There's a Mk2 engine in Legacy that serves as a RAPIER, but due to the sci-fi nature, its LFO Isp is excessively high for folks who want stockalike performance. This is fine, however, when you get to consider the masses of OPT planes overall and when you grow to stuff super-heavy 2.5m ~ 3.75m payloads into them.

CL9xq5f.jpg

Cool thanks. Though I don't like some of the in space exotic engines in the near future mod etc. Also any chance of you updating your own mod to 1.8 & is your mod balanced for career mode & game play?

@Cloakedwand72 There's nothing in my mod that makes it urgent for me to update it to 1.8 so just try it out and see. I will revisit it soon and update it myself in due time. Also yes, it's very well balanced in power and career progression. If it seems OP (when you get to the oxidizer generation) remember this: The real SABRE creates is own liquid oxygen mid-flight, breaking the need to launch with the full amount required. This is at least half of why the SABRE exists. The converter for this is on by default and can be action-grouped to turn off.

@Cavscout74 It's fine. No problem at all. Since it's unfinished I'm fine with people not knowing about it. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.