Docking mod

Pleborian

The thing is: this mod IS awesome, too awesome... To me it seems like that is some early testing on docking from one of the dev's.

The way the UI looks, the way how the spacecraft's "bump" together.

I am not saying that i don't like the mod... seriously that mod is great and i think if he is going to continue on that mod, Squad is going to have a new member soon ;) for me it just looks too perfect.

And i'm also not saying he stole it or something (god no! XD) But maybe it's just my natural paranoia :D

How could it be too perfect?

I think this thread shows what community wants most - docking :)

Watch 0 episode on his channel

, some of the features are listed in the video description:
- Simple autopilot for active and inactive ships

- Some kind of 'docking'

- Unmanned pods & remote control system that make debris pilotable

- Decouplers controlled by keys rather than staging

- Ship to ship fuel transfer & fuel dump

Autopilot for inactive ships? That's interesting.

Woah, for a mod, it's a "OMG I WANT THIS" kind of mod.

The docking process? Awesome.

Fuel transfer? Splendid.

A small, optional MechJeb-like autopilot for docking? Icing on the cake.

I surely hope it comes there soon (but hey, when he/she wants to release it; I can understand wanting it to be perfect).

I think the fact that the ships that aren't being commanded by the player are still controlled by autopilot, is a really awesome feature. Trying to do docking with landing legs for me was a pain, because my ships would constantly tumble and I had to switch back and forth a lot, which made things a million times harder. This mod not only does docking that works, but it also makes docking easier!

this + 0.17 = EASIER WAY TO GET TO PLANETS :D :D

True, now I can send up smaller rockets from the ground and attach them in space :D, like mounting my moderately large lander on to the front of my interplanetary transport modules, then mounting my interplanetary return stage on the end of that, and then finally mounting my interplanetary transfer stage on to that. That would save me building a huge transfer stage to move my moderately large lander to Duna and then an even bigger transfer stage to carry the interplanetary vessel to Duna and back! Plus with the fuel transfer ability that the developer of this mod is adding (according to Episode 0) I can simply return this stage to Kerbin and then refuel it and swap over to some bigger engines for the trip to the Joolian moons!

}[||||]>-O[|||]-[|||]{-[|||]{ ===--------------

definately the way to get to the surface of any high grav world, since you'll need a lot of fuel to get out of the gravity well, you can attach the main transfer engines in space, you could also send an enngine to your destination ahead of you and attack to it to return to kerbin

Orbital construction just isn't the same as docking, and you don't have all the challenges you face while trying to dock two spacecraft together.

Yeah, but it still get the job done from what he was refering to. He wanted to make big ships in space. With oribtal consturvtion mod you can do that.

This is great for connecting ships in space, Obital contruction is good for building LARGE single space crafts in space. Both these mods will go good together.

For examble, make one huge interplantary vehicle using conturction mod. Then use this mod to dock landers and other vehicles to it. Or to make space stations.

Atleast thats how i would use it =p

Ok, now THAT is impressive. I'd tidy up the UI a little, perhaps, try to make it more intuitive, but in terms of functionality that is just incredible. I'll be watching this one VERY carefully - the moment I see something downloadable, I'm grabbing it. I have the orbital construction mod, but as has already been said, that's for single craft. What I'd use this for is attaching a small lander to my massive interplanetary craft. That way, I can leave the big ship in orbit, drop a lander, then pick the lander up again and move on to a different planet. With the Kethane mod and the fact that this guy says his docking mod supports fuel transfer as well, you can keep your tanks topped up and keep roaming the solar system indefinitely!

Squad, you might want to contact this guy - he might have saved you a job...

Edited by anaximander

they may be different vessels but they survive time acceleration, which means it should be possible to use a seperate boost engine to get to other planets by docking it, join 2 boost sections together and you could boost a comlpely fueled boos eengine to anothe planet and have it in a stable orbit, that way when you send a full lander mission it could land and rendezvous in orbit with a completely fueled new boost engine to either return to kerbin or go on to other planets.

as far as i know none of the currently used "docking techniques" survive in timewarp, meaning that if you wanted to do something similar to the above, you'd have to do it realtime

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.