Docking mod

Pleborian

As exciting as this looks, I notice a few key features are not shown. Namely, releasing from the dock :P And being able to dock back again. I wonder how that'll be handled? Also engine control (which also was not shown) would be a bit wonky with all the ships attached to the module.

As exciting as this looks, I notice a few key features are not shown. Namely, releasing from the dock :P And being able to dock back again. I wonder how that'll be handled? Also engine control (which also was not shown) would be a bit wonky with all the ships attached to the module.

keep in mind he did say this is a WIP

I am not really saying anything by this, but in my mind the name "H0gdr1v3r" sounds similar to "Harvester" in more than one way.

There is certainly a lot of evidence to suggest that this mod is fully legitimate and is not a dev creation of mass distraction, but still I find the similarities in both pronunciation and meaning between the two names rather interesting.

Just something to think about.

Also, people who are saying that releasing from the dock isn't shown, look at this:

<object width="640" height="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44oxv3MV6k0?version=3&hl=en_US&start=642" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></object><object width="420" height="315"><object width="960" height="720"></object></object>

Edited by trbinsc

Also, people who are saying that releasing from the dock isn't shown, look at this at 10:42.

also look at 13:20. the other craft seems to be controlled by the system while the player ( can't be bothered to write his name ) is in control of a kerbin. MIND = BLOWN

even auto docks O_O

Edited by trollmylove

...That is not a good argument in my opinion. They sound very very different.

I doubt harvester would be the type to subtitute numbers for letters in his name.

As I said, I was not really saying anything by it that I would stand by.

Apparently I'm wrong though...

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/15667-Entering-ship-from-Tracking-Station-reverses-non-RCS-controls?p=252454#post252454

Hogdriver's only post in the entire forum. Talk about quiet.

So what's the most outrageous thing you can do with docking? I mean complicated, not just docking absurdly large numbers of small craft together in LKO

Making a planetary ring would be the ultimate, time consuming, awesome, outrageous docking undertaking I could think of. You would probably need to wait until the game supports multi-player, just to finish it this decade.

Making a planetary ring would be the ultimate, time consuming, awesome, outrageous docking undertaking I could think of. You would probably need to wait until the game supports multi-player, just to finish it this decade.

or you can share a persistence file with other people and exchange it :P

This is gonna' be a great add/on! :)

Talk about becoming legendary with a single addon...

If the dev's started with his code then they might be able to save quite some time for other things.

One more thing I need to see from this mod is timewarp usage without it ripping apart...

Yeah, Minecraft in space! Can you imagine all the collisions that would happen?

Please don't discuss multiplayer

On topic: I wonder how well the auto-pilot works for other functions, such as orbital transfers.

TBH I'd like to try doing it myself a few times... but the autopilot would be great so I can just spam stuff up there and forget about it and then come back to have a good amount of floating pieces to build with.

A slightly more fun project (at least for someone like me who normally leaves kerbin in a relatively strait line) might be to create a large space station in geo stat orbit directly over the launch pad. If you positioned it just right, and made it in the shape of a ring, then you could fly right through it on my way to the Mun. Of course, the positioning would have to be very exact (the larger the ring the better as well), but I can't think of anything cooler than flying through my space gate every time I go someplace.

I wonder how close you can fly to a satelite without incinerating it with your engines, or your thrust moving it. Which also reminds me that separation would get tricky. Separated debris have a slightly different course, though I would pay good money to see the footage of a rocket go screaming through the centre of a space ring, followed by the spent fuel tanks slamming into it from bellow like some sort of apocalyptic meteor shower. Someone please whip up a movie of that in an animation program :)

Edited by Randox

I wonder how close you can fly to a satelite without incinerating it with your engines, or your thrust moving it. )

If you are using RCS to maneuver then you won't have to worry about burning things but yeah, I could see some issues with pushing things around. Perhaps the undocking will impart a little energy that will help you drift away a bit before you start using anything with enough thrust to really affect your orbit.

It does support time warp without being separated, it's shown in one of the videos.

Indeed. it does! When he comes out of timewarp the peices are a bit crooked, and the snap back together again in the same fashion that they do when they dock. I'm impressed that it works, but after a long warp, they might be too far apart for the snap to work, or if it does, it might pull the parts back together too violently.

this should link to the point where he starts warping. It's at 7:35

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.